Nuclear programs Fall 14

1535nuke

I've been wondering the same thing- I'm still waiting to hear back from them- the professor I want to work with is waiting to hear about a proposal he submitted and I'm hoping that's why I haven't heard anything

I would assume it's a group of professors who has been there a long time- or would they delegate it to less experienced professors, thinking that it's not very complicated?

Just talked to my old undergrad advisor at michigan. I am "high on the wait list" but the plasma professors did not have much funding this year. It's alright with me though, I accepted a fulbright fellowship to study fusion in the uk!

Edited by NuclearFlea

Hey. I was just wondering if anyone has heard back from UC Berkeley or Purdue yet? I am not sure if they are still reviewing applications. I figured that I would follow up with them, but thought I would ask here first.

I think you should ask them... Berkeley did some questions about my application two weeks ago... I think they are still reviewing applications... Btw, I am going to UW-Madison =)

Edited by Some1234

No, I didn't NuclearFlea....

I was in the Berkeley wait list, but I am going to UW. For those who are still waiting Berkeley, they will increase the quota of new students soon... 

Hey Some1234. I am not very educated on this whole process, and I was curious what you mean when you say that Berkeley will increase their quota of new students? Does that mean that people who are on the wait list will be accepted? Or does that mean that people who have not heard back yet could be wait listed or accepted?

Crossing my fingers!

gregsinc, I dont know. Are you on the wait list?
They sent me an email one month ago asking me some things about my application.. Then.. two weeks ago I received another email saying that they have requested this quota and I would be accepted. 

You should send an email to them... I am going to UW :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to everyone, I hope everyone is happy with their choices. Are you glad the process is (mostly) over?!

I'm still trying to decide!

Edited by PBD

Had a question for those who got visit / worked at UMICH. I was originally put on the wait-list there but recently got a late late offer with full funding from a professor in the high field science / plasma field. I had my heart set on UIUC after I visited. It beat my expectations, the faculty were amazing and friendly and the grad students in the plasam/material interactions group that I want to go into were very friendly.  I hear great things about UMICH and ann arbor in general but would like some info before making a decision on a school I never got a chance to go too. Anybody have any opinion son the schools?

Hey guys. So, I am unfortunately not very knowledgeable about graduate programs in nuclear engineering, and am getting different messages from different people. I have heard people tell me that if I am pursuing a doctorate degree, then its a waste of time to get a masters? However, I am planning to pursue a PhD in Nuclear Engineering, but I am just now graduating with a bachelors in Chemical Engineering. I don't know if I am making the wrong decision to get a masters in Nuclear Engineering first, before I pursue a PhD? I plan on going to UofW, Madison and they told me that I would need to get a masters before moving on to a PhD program.

I was just curious what other people think about this, and if I should consider trying to apply directly into a PhD program?

Hello,

I have question all of you in this tread are trying to pursue pursuing PhD in Nuclear Engineering?

@nukee : may I know your Undergrad(Bachelor) institution, GPA and your GRE, Toefl scores?

What was main point of attraction that made them to give PhD rather MS?

When it comes to Nuclear US never provide support to India.

I wanted to apply MS in Nuclear for Specialization in Nuclear Space Propulsion using Fusion but at the end I realized nobody apply for Nuke in US from India. Most probably the person who wants to pursue either goes for MS in Mech or Aero and then switching departments.

My ultimate goal is PhD so shall I opt for it or shall I go for MS

Also I am little bit screwed up in GRE

Hello,

I have question all of you in this tread are trying to pursue pursuing PhD in Nuclear Engineering?

@nukee : may I know your Undergrad(Bachelor) institution, GPA and your GRE, Toefl scores?

What was main point of attraction that made them to give PhD rather MS?

When it comes to Nuclear US never provide support to India.

I wanted to apply MS in Nuclear for Specialization in Nuclear Space Propulsion using Fusion but at the end I realized nobody apply for Nuke in US from India. Most probably the person who wants to pursue either goes for MS in Mech or Aero and then switching departments.

My ultimate goal is PhD so shall I opt for it or shall I go for MS

Also I am little bit screwed up in GRE.

It looks like all of you are discussing about top tier institutions in NE field. So may I know your GRE and GPA Scores?

Because these institutes demands truly high acads in overall