Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I'm crotchety today.  I need to vent.  You don't even have to reply to these things or read them.  But I just... gotta... 

1. I have been getting phone calls to my desk phone from some fax machine at a nearby hospital. Like... 10 in a row.  Multiple times a day.  My voicemail box keeps getting full. I called IT here and they can't do anything.  I called the delinquent hospital FOUR times and talked to their IT but it keeps happening. About to change my number. 

2. My lab mates mumble quietly when they try to have a conversation with you but PHONE conversations are LOUD and last FOREVER.  I'm trying to write a manuscript and somebody is walking around the lab on the phone. But seriously, even the mumbling thing gets old.  ENUNCIATE!!

3. I submitted a grant about 6 months ago, and should have heard by now, but then the government shut down.  And good LORD I GOTSTA KNOW!

4. The fridge in my lab (for human food) stinks. And my desk is right next to it.  And every time somebody opens it I want to gag.  And I can't clean it anymore because I SWEAR THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE.

5. I spent $160 this morning to have somebody fix my water heater and he doesn't think he successfully fixed it. 

... I feel better.  Seriously, I like grad school, but it's just one of those days.  

next? 

1. I have the same professor for two of my classes, and she seems to be in the habit of seriously last minute updates to our workload, e.g., dumping 146 pages on us of (dry and redundant) background reading we're expected to be familiar enough with to discuss at length... less than 24 hours after she made the readings available to us. This week, she added 46 "surprise!" pages of stuff to read yesterday morning... for this morning. :| How in the heck do you write a syllabus without having all the readings ready to go & available for students to read?!

2. At the start of December, I applied to join 2 committees that are supposed to act as a sort of "task force" for issues within the professional group my interests are most related to; I wanted to be more active in something beyond coursework, meet new people, learn useful life skills, etc. My applications were in by 12/5 or so, and we were supposed to hear back "by the end of January." At the end of January, I inquired about an update (since I wanted to know what to write on my self assessment's accomplishments & service sections for within-department funding), and was told that only 30% of the committees had submitted decisions. It's making me second guess the efficacy and efficiency of the groups, and at this point, I just want a dang answer... kind of lost the enthusiasm that made me apply in the first place.

:|

people

y u no function

UGGGH I was supposed to give a job talk for my postdoc on Thursday at a university 5 hours away by bus, but there's a snowstorm that's going to hit tomorrow (f*cking snow) when I was supposed to leave.  So we rescheduled for three weeks from now.  Except I forgot to reschedule my bus today and you have to do it 24 hours before the bus leaves.  F*cking Megabus!  They cancelled all of the routes AROUND the one I booked, but not my actual route.  I called at 7 pm (my bus was to leave at 4) to see if they would help me out but apparently there is NO slack for the 3 hours I was behind.  The guy on the phone was kind of rude, too; he was like "You agreed to all of this when you bought the tickets" in this like scolding voice.  F U dude!  So I'm out $26 - not a lot of money, but still!

Also I hate my literature review of my dissertation.  Haaaaate it.  Can't wait to be done.

My department is going through some chaaaaanges and it's a bit overwhelming and I just want it to stop.

Biggest complaint: I got surgery on Jan 16 to get a cyst removed from over my tailbone.  The doctor left the wound open to heal from the bottom up, but that means that I have to pack the wound with gauze every day.  I can't see the wound myself, so my hubby's been helping me, but I am SO freaking tired of changing this gauze and I just want it to heal already.  I was a tiny bit irritated because I told my husband that I wanted to get the wound changed before he left to go meet with his group for a project; I tried to rush in and out of the bath tub to get the old gauze out but when I came out he wouldn't take the 10 extra minutes to stay behind and pack it before he left.  This is important because I have to take painkillers before I unpack the old gauze and he packs it because it hurts and I'm afraid the painkillers will wear off by the time he comes back.

i got more. just remembered the postdoc was patronizing towards me again. she thinks it's "cute" whenever she catches me reading a paper. GURL DON'T REMIND ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOIN. 

It actually doesn't bother me thaaat much but she was a baby scientist too once upon a time. 

Can I just say...I had a dream last night that I was being threatened to be murdered if I didn't reject this big grant (because I guess these people wanted it to go to them instead??) I don't know but it freaked me the hell out, lol! 

In other venting news...can my undergrad RAs just know how to use a computer and not ask me how to use a computer...please?? And can they follow instructions pleeeease?? Or not just sit there and do nothing...find something to do OR ask!! Feels like babysitting sometimes...

I wanna add my office rant!

It was brought to my attention on Monday that my coworkers (most of which hold non-descript Bachelors degrees) don't think that I am capable of doing their work because I only "handle the data".  Now it is true that I'm not in the Bachelors club yet, but I could run circles around most of these jerks.  I hate to lump them all together because not everyone here is a total bufoon, but their last intellectual conversation consisted of whether McDonald's coffee is not as hot as it once was or how awesome that one show about real people fighting over a bunch of coconuts was last night. 

And I almost forgot the most important thing: the position that I currently have was specifically create FOR ME after I worked here as a temp for 3 months because I was THAT DAMNED GOOD.  I tried to turn in my two weeks notice when school started back in 2012 and they BEGGED me to stay.  No one else is allowed to work part-time or to make up their own hours.  ADDITIONALLY, I was brought in as a temp because those effing bufoons couldn't do their work correctly!!!!!!  ARAARRARARARGAGGGGG! 

Wow...that was cathartic. 

I guess I really should thank my coworkers.  If it wasn't for their poor quality of work, I wouldn't have a job.  :lol:  It's just so frustrating when people assume your intelligence level. 

Did I mention I also work with a bunch of right-wing, "science is dumb" nuts?  A graduate school better take me cause I don't know if I can handle working here past May. 

My boss doesn't like me. I do my job just fine, get along with others, and am a generally friendly, intelligent person. She simply doesn't like me as a person, and it's so effing frustrating! She told me I'm not allowed to come to talk to her face-to-face, or even on the phone. If I have a question/problem/issue, I'm strictly to contact her through email, and only she can initiate face-to-face conversations about anything more important than "Good morning" and the weather.

WTF?!?!?!?!???!?

Also I just want to hear back from all my schools and have them all accept me and the wait is just killing me and I'm going insane.

Wow, a VENTING THREAD!  How did I not notice this before? 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh, I'm burned out, I've taken some great advice from folks on the gradcafe and feel better but I'm still so darn tired of ... EVERYTHING!!!   

I definitely sympathize with those who don't know yet what they'll be doing next year.  Hopefully everything will go just the way you want it to.  

As for me, I'd almost rather not know than actually KNOW I'LL STILL BE HERE NEXT YEAR!  Because I'm so !@$# SICK OF THIS PLACE!!!  AAAAAAAAAArgh! 

Maybe the females on here will sympathize (sorry boys), but MY FEMININE INNARDS HATE ME TODAY ARRRRRGH

Mine, too. And today is just jam-packed with meetings for committees and tutoring tiny little undergrads. My book for seminar finally got here, hooray! But it's long and boring and I have to have it read and have my response paper written by like, 7PM ahahahhAHAHAHAH 

I could never get the hang of Thursdays

oof, this thread is beautiful and so necessary. i'm dealing with a breakup + i keep having dreams about getting accepted into grad school and dreams about getting rejected from grad school and i can't even tell which one makes me feel worse when i wake up because i still don't know anything :/

oof, this thread is beautiful and so necessary. i'm dealing with a breakup + i keep having dreams about getting accepted into grad school and dreams about getting rejected from grad school and i can't even tell which one makes me feel worse when i wake up because i still don't know anything :/

Ugh, me too, me too. Except I'm not even sure if I want to break up...my heart is telling me that everything is wrong and we are not compatible but it's hard to just throw 6 years down the drain...

Oh and to quote another user: I'm so anxious, I could eat my own arm! ACCEPT ME, SOMEONE. ANYONE. haha. I know I won't hear back until mid March and the wait is killing me...

I think it's made worse because we can see other programs accepting/rejecting candidates and we want to know! At least, that's how it is for me. I'm a planning type and it's killing me that I have to tell everyone (including my very anxious partner) that I have no idea if I'll be moving to the other side of the Beltway or the other end of the country (if at all!) in the next few months. BAH.

When I finally have good news to tell my friends on Facebook but I can't post anything about it because my coworkers (who don't know I'm leaving) may see it.

Ahhh, Facebook privacy settings can control whether posts are visible to 'Close Friends', 'Public' or 'All Friends except....'