Loma Linda University Communication Sciences and Disorders

kct

Hey! 

Anyone else applied to LLU for Fall 2014? Has anyone interviewed yet? 

I have an interview on Feb. 23rd. Does anyone know what to expect for the writing component of the interview?

Thanks!

Edited by kct

Hi, I also have an interview at LLU on Feb 23th, I wonder about the interview process too,

Hi, I saw you were from Ontario and I am too! I'm planning to apply to Loma Linda next year. Do you know the approx cost of tuition? Do you know if they offer financial aid? What's your GPA?

Thanks!

I also applied to Loma Linda and have an interview for Feb 23rd as well. I am from North Carolina and doing my interview via Skype. Don't know much about the interview, have a friend in the program, but she just said they ask about you and why you are interested in the program. As for the writing portion, I heard something about writing about being a professional or what it means to be a Speech Language Pathologist, but that was from a previous year so I assume it will be different. If anyone else knows more about the process, let me know! Good luck to everyone.

Also, I think because of credits tuition is not as bad, maybe 25,000 for first year (that's not including living of course) and less for the second because we aren't taking as many credits! On their website it tells you the total for the two years.  

I am pretty sure tuition for the first year is about $22k and then the second year is $15k. They offer graduate assistantships through the department, however they do not have any department specific scholarships, research assistantships, or grants :( I have a meeting with financial aid on Monday the 24th to talk about other financial aid options, so I can let you know what they say. 

As for the interview, I think it's safe to prepare for general questions like why we want to be SLPs and why we want to go to LLU. 

Hey! 

Anyone else applied to LLU for Fall 2014? Has anyone interviewed yet? 

I have an interview on Feb. 23rd. Does anyone know what to expect for the writing component of the interview?

Thanks!

How did your interview go? Mine was pretty easy. They just asked basic questions - why did you apply here, how did you learn about this field and what made you choose it, about my volunteer experience, and a question they had e-mailed out - since I had a Skype interview. The essay wasn't bad either. They were really friendly. Made me excited to go there!! I wonder how many people they interviewed. Mine was at 5:10 pm and they said they'd been interviewing since like 8 that morning.

Lillian, I was one of the last to be interviewed too! I was in the office when they were about to interview you, they mentioned a Skype interview for Williams. 

Mine was good, didn't go as great as I had hoped, I was very nervous. I definitely got the impression that the professors were very tired. They certainly interviewed more people than they will be accepting. Unlike the PT department at LLU, which my boyfriend was accepted to. The interview is more of a formality and way to meet the applicants they have already decided to accept. Unless the interview goes horribly wrong, it pretty much means you're in. 

Anyways, good luck to all who interviewed! 

Lillian, I was one of the last to be interviewed too! I was in the office when they were about to interview you, they mentioned a Skype interview for Williams. 

Mine was good, didn't go as great as I had hoped, I was very nervous. I definitely got the impression that the professors were very tired. They certainly interviewed more people than they will be accepting. Unlike the PT department at LLU, which my boyfriend was accepted to. The interview is more of a formality and way to meet the applicants they have already decided to accept. Unless the interview goes horribly wrong, it pretty much means you're in. 

Anyways, good luck to all who interviewed! 

Oh neat, that's funny! Well hopefully it is helpful that we were near the end and they remember us :) I am sure you did great. I was REALLY nervous too, until they called in on Skype, and they seemed to be tired but in a good mood, so hopefully it went as well as I thought. I have a friend that just got accepted to PT school too, That makes me a little nervous they interviewed so many. Do you know how many spots they accept? I applied to a lot of other schools but would like to go. Anyways, good to you too!! Hopefully we will hear soon. 

KCT says, "The interview is more of a formality and way to meet the applicants they have already decided to accept. Unless the interview goes horribly wrong, it pretty much means you're in. "

So, you are saying that LLU made a decision on who to accept for the MS- SLP program before the interviews and writing sample?

KCT says, "The interview is more of a formality and way to meet the applicants they have already decided to accept. Unless the interview goes horribly wrong, it pretty much means you're in. "

So, you are saying that LLU made a decision on who to accept for the MS- SLP program before the interviews and writing sample?

I am hoping so, but i don't know - I wasn't on site for the interview so not sure how many they interviewed - and NO idea how many they accept? How did your interview go?

No, to clarify- I was talking about the Doctor of Physical Therapy program when I said that. The CSD program definitely uses the interview to decide who they accept, based on how many people they interview. 

I don't know for sure how many spots. I heard they have room for 30 people total. 8 of those spots are Transitional Masters students who have already been accepted. I heard that LLU has 15 undergraduate CSD majors who applied. I assume they will have priority since LLU knows them, but there's no guarantees. 

No, to clarify- I was talking about the Doctor of Physical Therapy program when I said that. The CSD program definitely uses the interview to decide who they accept, based on how many people they interview. 

I don't know for sure how many spots. I heard they have room for 30 people total. 8 of those spots are Transitional Masters students who have already been accepted. I heard that LLU has 15 undergraduate CSD majors who applied. I assume they will have priority since LLU knows them, but there's no guarantees. 

Oh okay. Wow, that is a little scary. :/ that would only leave like another 7-8 spots. Interesting. I guess we'll find out soon enough, thanks for sharing. 

Yeah! I am trying not to let that discourage me too much. Who knows what will happen, only a few weeks till we hear back!

No, the transitional masters who are accounted for in the 30 accepted students were accepted last year. They have to do a "catch-up" year and then they join the regular Master's students. Sorry if that was confusing. They take new transitional Masters students every year. So I am sure you're right about the timeline. 

I'm not sure about out-of-state tuition. Their financial aid office is really helpful though, so if you can't find the answer on the website, try calling. They have on-campus housing and there are lots of housing options in the surrounding areas (it's a relatively cheap area to live compared to the rest of CA)

They don't have out of state tuition, because it's a private (Adventist University). Yes, it looks like lots of opportunities for housing that is cheaper than a lot of other areas in CA. I have a few friends moving out there for PT and they've found some decent housing for not bad. A lot more expensive than where I am from though! haha Yes, only a few weeks now!! 

I'm not sure about out-of-state tuition. Their financial aid office is really helpful though, so if you can't find the answer on the website, try calling. They have on-campus housing and there are lots of housing options in the surrounding areas (it's a relatively cheap area to live compared to the rest of CA)

Heard anything yet KCT? I am so anxious. ugh! Just ready to know. 

Lillian,

Nope! Still waiting. I'm not counting on getting in….but I definitely want to! It's almost been two weeks, sooo we should be hearing soon! I'll let you know what/when I hear!

I have a general question... do you guys think that Loma linda accepts only Christian applicants? I am a buhddist and I didn't want to lie on my application that I am christian, but I'm scared saying that I am Buddhist will hurt my chances of getting in