Loma Linda University Communication Sciences and Disorders

kct

• 4 months later...

Can anyone who is currently attending Loma Linda (in the SLP program) provide information on their experiences/feelings about the school and the program so far?  Weekly class schedule and any other information you feel is important?  I am interested in Loma Linda and just wanted to hear more about it from some students!

Thanks!

Edited by hclem5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in the program as a 1st year graduate student. I really love the program. There are 31 students in our cohort. The professors and staff are very helpful and understanding. It is a Christian university and I would say that the majority in our cohort are SDA. I have not experienced anyone pushing religion. Classes are 3 nights a week. Most classes are taught in problem based learning format, very different from lecture format. During your first year, you are rotated through a different clinic each quarter which is 1 x a week for 4 hours or so. Everyone will have educational, medical, autism, and another clinic usually voice, or accent mod, or stuttering clinic. During your second year, you take classes in the summer and fall quarter, then winter and spring quarter you do your full time education and medical setting rotations. You are required to take and pass the Praxis however there are no comps! :) If you have any specific questions, please post or message me. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I'm currently in the program as a 1st year graduate student. I really love the program. There are 31 students in our cohort. The professors and staff are very helpful and understanding. It is a Christian university and I would say that the majority in our cohort are SDA. I have not experienced anyone pushing religion. Classes are 3 nights a week. Most classes are taught in problem based learning format, very different from lecture format. During your first year, you are rotated through a different clinic each quarter which is 1 x a week for 4 hours or so. Everyone will have educational, medical, autism, and another clinic usually voice, or accent mod, or stuttering clinic. During your second year, you take classes in the summer and fall quarter, then winter and spring quarter you do your full time education and medical setting rotations. You are required to take and pass the Praxis however there are no comps! :) If you have any specific questions, please post or message me. Good luck!

Sent you a PM with some questions I have. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that makes sense. Well I will be there starting in the fall and i'll be glad to update you on how the classroom life is, etc. and the teaching style in regards to Christianity!

I am also interested in this ^ I personally would not identify myself as "Christian" but wouldn't mind going to a school that as SDA as long as the Professors/Students don't mind.  I was mostly curious about the required religion class.  I have no problem taking one but would be more interested in something related to Buddism or a less common religion because I think it would be really interesting to learn about.  If you have any updates on the student experience please share or PM me  :).

If anyone has come from a semester system is the transition to a quarter system rough?  

One last thing were the interview essay questions consistent from the previous posts in 2014?  

P.S-Is the area affordable i'm not applying yet but it would be a HUGE bonus if I could afford not to commmute!

Thanks!

I will be attending LLU this Fall and I can answer a couple of these question. The interview question was completely different than 2014. There were no personal questions - it was a group interview and they asked us to work together to come up with some decisions based on a hypothetical question (non speech related). They just wanted to see how we work with other people because of their Problem based learning style. Also, housing appears pretty cheap and for a religion class, it's just a bioethics class. I'm worried about quarter system too!! Hope this helps a little 

I am also interested in this ^ I personally would not identify myself as "Christian" but wouldn't mind going to a school that as SDA as long as the Professors/Students don't mind.  I was mostly curious about the required religion class.  I have no problem taking one but would be more interested in something related to Buddism or a less common religion because I think it would be really interesting to learn about.  If you have any updates on the student experience please share or PM me  :).

If anyone has come from a semester system is the transition to a quarter system rough?  

One last thing were the interview essay questions consistent from the previous posts in 2014?  

P.S-Is the area affordable i'm not applying yet but it would be a HUGE bonus if I could afford not to commmute!

Thanks!

Hmmm Bioethics might be interesting actually, not something I have a ton of knowledge on.

How big is the group and do they just watch you solve the problem haha?  I'll have to make friends with everyone waiting outside ahead of time.  Good to know ahead of time what to expect though if I get an interview!  Is that all that you do while there?  They got rid of the essay?

Ty

Yea bioethics is probably the most relevant religious course to our field so that's good! Also the interview was 3-4 people. Each scheduled interview time had about 10-15 people - we all had about an hour to talk and make friends ahead of time and that made discussion in the interview a lot better! They asked us to pretend the world was ending and choose 4 people with different professions and they can each hold 1 thing in their hand and then we had to discuss and decide together. That was it! 

Also, they do have the written portion still as well - 30 min with a general prompt. They just want to see you can write a cohesive, fluid essay, with logical points to back it up. 

Yea bioethics is probably the most relevant religious course to our field so that's good! Also the interview was 3-4 people. Each scheduled interview time had about 10-15 people - we all had about an hour to talk and make friends ahead of time and that made discussion in the interview a lot better! They asked us to pretend the world was ending and choose 4 people with different professions and they can each hold 1 thing in their hand and then we had to discuss and decide together. That was it! 

Also, they do have the written portion still as well - 30 min with a general prompt. They just want to see you can write a cohesive, fluid essay, with logical points to back it up. 

Oh that sounds interesting!  The interview portion actually seems kind of cool.  Thanks for the information!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I got an interview on April 13th for the Transitional Masters CSD! Can you guys kinda tell me what to expect? Like what kind of questions they might ask? And what to expect for the essay also?

I know this is old news, but did you get accepted into the transitional masters?

I was just accepted and I'm so curious what the program will be like- but mostly I'm curious to know if I'll be able to work during the first year.

Any and all information is so helpful! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone who is a current MS student at LLU recommend a tape recorder or does anyone in your class use one?  Just trying to see if it is a worthwhile investment for classes!  Thanks!

Do you guys know how many applications they got this year and how many they accepted? I am also considering applying there and looking into some other programs as well. I would like to get some idea about overall numbers.

Thanks.

Edited by Bapple

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is Loma Linda primarily geared towards students wishing to enter the medical side of the Profession.  I know they have the Medical Center and their description of their program talks quite a bit about swallowing disorders. 

I tried to find a degree requirements list of the courses to see if I could also take classes on Autism or Literacy etc. but didn't have any luck.  I'm going on a tour in a week and didn't want to sound uninformed if most people already know their program to be highly medically focused.

Are my impressions, based on the website, correct or could someone interested in working in schools or with kids still find a good fit at Loma Linda?

Thanks!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is Loma Linda primarily geared towards students wishing to enter the medical side of the Profession. I know they have the Medical Center and their description of their program talks quite a bit about swallowing disorders.

I tried to find a degree requirements list of the courses to see if I could also take classes on Autism or Literacy etc. but didn't have any luck. I'm going on a tour in a week and didn't want to sound uninformed if most people already know their program to be highly medically focused.

Are my impressions, based on the website, correct or could someone interested in working in schools or with kids still find a good fit at Loma Linda?

Thanks!

I'm starting Loma Linda this fall and don't get the impression that it's just medical based. You do clinicals in 5 different settings to get a full feel of what you would like to do. I personally do not have an interest in working at a hospital or in a medical setting but know this is still going to be a great school for me even though I plan to work with children in a school. They're very willing to answer all questions and are super helpful.

Good luck!

Oh great! I was hoping I was wrong what with as many units as they have you take! Great I am looking at the same focus as you! Thanks for the info I'm excited to tour and ask some questions

• 2 weeks later...

Can any current students explain what goes on during the screening before school starts? Do you recommend dressing business casual or for the screening and orientation?

Edited by hclem5

Screenings: screen students at various schools. Once you complete screener then take student and screener to faculty. Dressfor clinic...no jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers