MSPP-MPP admissions acceptance 2014

martinet25

I agree with that. Turning down a full fellowship versus nothing wouldn't be the best move. You could always try negotiating, but if MSPP didn't give you anything to start, then I doubt they'll come close to matching GW, even if they do give you something. You'll be well-placed at either MSPP or Trachtenberg to get internships/work-experience in DC while you're in school (and obviously it goes without saying you'll be well-placed for summer work).

Thanks pavlik! I truly appreciate your insights!

Hi guys... I was wondering if anyone's familiar with MSPP's policy on deferment. whether they allow it at all, whether they guarantee (or reconsider) funding, when we're supposed to tell them by, etc. Thanks guys. 

You can defer your admission for a one year without any explaination. You lose all the funding but you are automatically considered for a new one together with next year's applicants. 

I think there is a chance I could be admitted to MSPP off of the waitlist.. but without any funding, obviously. This is an expensive program- do you think it's worth paying sticker price?

In most cases, no. The tuition is high, and the DC area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country, so this is well into 6 figures of debt if you're funding this via loans. Especially if you have debt from undergrad, I would probably not. That being said, you are more likely to find relevant [to your degree] part-time work during the school year in DC than almost anywhere else, so if you want to get your leg in the door with the federal government, DC think tank scene, etc., then that should enter into your calculations as well, although American/GWU/Maryland/etc. would also open the door in similar ways. But I personally would not do this for sticker price unless you're 100% sure on the DC area.