waitlisted by BU today :(

icelestial

I just got a call from BU to let me know that I was admitted into the program. My application was complete on 1/17 so it took them exactly a month to let me know. They said they will email me more information shortly. Those of you still waiting to hear, it seems they are doing their round of calls this week so you should hear something soon!

congratulations!!!!!!!!

Hi all, I just got a call from the Associate Dean of Social Work at Boston University to let me know that I am admitted into their program!! This is the first program I've heard back from so I'm really excited!  :D  I submitted my app on 1/13 and it was deemed complete on 1/21. I hope all of you hear back with good news soon!!

Congrats guys!!! Now it's decision time!!

I'm still waiting on BC and Simmon's college. Simmon's sent our decision letters yesterday so I should be receiving it in the mail later this week. I hope BC gets back to me soon bc I have to respond to BU's admission by March 4th. Any idea about the possibility of an extension? My letter says I'll lose my scholarship if I don't respond by then. 

I'm still waiting on BC and Simmon's college. Simmon's sent our decision letters yesterday so I should be receiving it in the mail later this week. I hope BC gets back to me soon bc I have to respond to BU's admission by March 4th. Any idea about the possibility of an extension? My letter says I'll lose my scholarship if I don't respond by then.

I'm also waiting on BC. My plan is to wait until Monday and if I don't hear from them by then I'm going to call and explain my situation and see where my application stands. BU may give an extension, don't know for how long though.

I'm also waiting on BC. My plan is to wait until Monday and if I don't hear from them by then I'm going to call and explain my situation and see where my application stands. BU may give an extension, don't know for how long though.

I've already sent them an email. I'll let you know when I hear back!

Hey JMM, just received an email from admissions. No extensions are allowed because it "would be unfair to the students who are on the waitlist." I may have to pay the deposit to hold on my spot...

Thanks for checking hopefulmsw!

You can always overnight your deposit via express mail the day before or the Friday before. You will hopefully hear from BC by then. 

Since I got into both programs, I was doing a comparison and it would be about $10,000 cheaper to go to BU vs BC and the education will be comparable. So I think I'm leaning towards BU. i also applied to a few other programs in other states but BU is my number one choice at the moment. 

I don't know what you guys are thinking in terms of BC vs BU???

Thanks for checking hopefulmsw!

You can always overnight your deposit via express mail the day before or the Friday before. You will hopefully hear from BC by then.

Since I got into both programs, I was doing a comparison and it would be about $10,000 cheaper to go to BU vs BC and the education will be comparable. So I think I'm leaning towards BU. i also applied to a few other programs in other states but BU is my number one choice at the moment.

I don't know what you guys are thinking in terms of BC vs BU???

I was learning towards BC if I got in, but my goodness $10,000 is a lot given both are already expensive. I really like that BC has specialized courses in school-based social work as I would like to work in a school. I don't think BU has this option or at least it wasn't made obvious on their website. I'm going to call BC on Monday if I don't hear from them and see where my application is in the review process. I'd hate to pay the $300 deposit for BU and then the $200 deposit for BC if I got in :-/

It will be a hard decision.

Hey JMM, just received an email from admissions. No extensions are allowed because it "would be unfair to the students who are on the waitlist." I may have to pay the deposit to hold on my spot...

I would call BC next week and check-in, that's what I'm going to do. $300 is a hefty price to pay if you're undecided!

I was learning towards BC if I got in, but my goodness $10,000 is a lot given both are already expensive. I really like that BC has specialized courses in school-based social work as I would like to work in a school. I don't think BU has this option or at least it wasn't made obvious on their website. I'm going to call BC on Monday if I don't hear from them and see where my application is in the review process. I'd hate to pay the $300 deposit for BU and then the $200 deposit for BC if I got in :-/

Hey JMM, it seems like BC offers specialized training in your area of interest, which IMO, is worth the additional $10k. Just my two cents though. I'm already prepared to take out loans and I want to make sure that I will be adequately trained in the area that I am interested in. I am interested in trauma and both programs offer certificates for that. BU's trauma certificate program seems to offer more guidance though - they pair you up with a grad student and faculty member to help with professional development, which I think is pretty awesome. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give BC a call next week or so. Edited by HopefulMSW

Oh I agree. If BC specializes the program you are interested in the extra 10K will be worth in the long run. BC definitely seems to be heavy in school based social work. Most of their field practicums are at schools or with children so I think BC would be perfect for you. Hopefully you get in!! If not, remember that you can tailor your experience at any school to what you eventually want to do so don't lose hope!

Oh I agree. If BC specializes the program you are interested in the extra 10K will be worth in the long run. BC definitely seems to be heavy in school based social work. Most of their field practicums are at schools or with children so I think BC would be perfect for you. Hopefully you get in!! If not, remember that you can tailor your experience at any school to what you eventually want to do so don't lose hope!

Thanks for the reassurance :) I hope I get in! You'll have to keep us updated on what you decide. HopefulMSW, let me know if you hear from BC, I will do the same as well!

I also got into BU (found out yesterday February 18), but I am really concerned with the financial package. Did any of you received aid? I received federal direct unsubsidized loans which were expected, but the amount did not cover tuition fully and also take in consider my living costs? Is anyone in a similar predicament. Also, they are giving me about 1 week and a few days to make the decision with a 300 deposit. Anyone receive an extension? 

I think the loan is just an estimate. The letter says they won't download the FAFSA until mid march so you won't know the exact aid until then but they want to provide everyone with an estimate to give them an idea of the cost.

I also got into BU (found out yesterday February 18), but I am really concerned with the financial package. Did any of you received aid? I received federal direct unsubsidized loans which were expected, but the amount did not cover tuition fully and also take in consider my living costs? Is anyone in a similar predicament. Also, they are giving me about 1 week and a few days to make the decision with a 300 deposit. Anyone receive an extension?

Hey, I asked admissions department about getting an extension and they said they are unable to provide one. You're stuck with the two week deadline to respond.

I think I will be going to BC because they have a better clinical concentration in Children and Families. Especially the school offers some field placements that BU doesn't. On top of that, BU is not giving me as much money as BC. 

My supervisor at work has suggested I call BC ASAP instead of waiting until next week and just explain how BU is giving me a very short deadline and how BC is my top choice and see if they can let me know if is hear back from them in the next week and a half. I don't want to come off pushy as it's only been 2 and a half weeks since my application became complete. Anyone have any suggestions? Would an email be better?

My experience with schools is that they are not really able or willing to do anything. They are all on their own timetable, and you are somewhat aware of this when you apply. It's all part of the process. You can certainly call them (I think a call is more effective than email) and tell them you've been admitted to BU but you're still very much interested in BC). My guess is that they're going to give you an estimate of when you'll find out but not be able to expedite the process. Good luck! 

My experience with schools is that they are not really able or willing to do anything. They are all on their own timetable, and you are somewhat aware of this when you apply. It's all part of the process. You can certainly call them (I think a call is more effective than email) and tell them you've been admitted to BU but you're still very much interested in BC). My guess is that they're going to give you an estimate of when you'll find out but not be able to expedite the process. Good luck! 

aglings did you hear anything back from BU yet?