waitlisted by BU today :(

icelestial

JMM1020, BC does state that the application review process takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the time the application is completed.  I hate to say this, but if BC were to rush your application based on the fact that BU is only giving you a couple weeks to decide, then they'd have to do the same for everyone else.  Unfortunately as aglings said, all admissions committees are on their own timetable and may not necessarily "bend over backwards" for an applicant (whether they're able to or not).  If you decide to wait it out for BC (since they are your top choice), you run the risk of possibly losing your acceptance slot at BU and then you're faced with the hope that BC accepts your application.  I can only begin to imagine how difficult of a decision it is for you and everyone else who's replied to this discussion thread when you're given a short deadline to pay $300 (which isn't a small amount of $$ by any means) with the fear that if you were to get accepted to BC, you'd have to pay $200 and the $300 you paid to BU is non-refundable.  This, I think, is why schools like BC recommend applying as early as possible because that might afford you the opportunity to have multiple acceptances arriving around the same time (if you had applied to multiple schools). 

If I were in your shoes, I'd weigh out the risk vs reward of all possible scenarios.  If you chose not to accept BU's offer and didn't get into BC, then you'd regret not making that decision.  If you chose to accept BU's offer and ended up receiving an acceptance from BC later on, then you're faced with a bit of a dilemma.  One, I don't know what the process would be if you were to accept, pay tuition deposit, and then withdraw your decision afterword.  I think that'd be possible, but I'd definitely look into that to see if it's indeed possible.  Second, you'd be out $300 but would be accepted into your top program.  Obviously if BU offered you more $$ in financial aid than BC, that might sway your decision.  At this stage of the game your application will most likely be reviewed by mid March with a decision towards the end of March.  If you're willing to take the risk, then go for it, but again you'd kick yourself in the butt if you didn't get into BC.

And like you said, you definitely don't want to sound pushy as I can bet they field 100s of similar calls each week asking for updated statuses, etc. 

So my final verdict:  I'd accept the offer from BU and see what pans out at BC.  The worst that will happen is you'd be out $300 (if you got into BC as well).  It's better to be safe than sorry.  That's my $0.02

Thank you all for your replies! I applied to then part-time program at BC so admissions should be rolling. The email I received said anywhere from 3-6 weeks I'd hear back. I know some people have said they heard back in 1-2 weeks and that is the only reason why I considered calling to see where my application stood. I wasn't anticipating asking for it to be rushed.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for your advice!

Icelestical, thanks for asking. I was wait listed at BU. Pretty disappointed, as it was/is my top choice. I'm hesitant to tell applicants to put a deposit down at schools while they're waiting to hear from other programs, because it keeps people on the wait list from getting in, but I understand why people would do so. I got into Smith, and am supposed to hear from Simmons this week. I have to let Smith know by the end of this week, but I think I am leaning toward Simmons. I want to stay in the city. If I were to be admitted to BU later on, I would attend BU.

Good luck to everyone! Everyone is going to end up in a great program with a career that they love. Remember that! 

Icelestical, thanks for asking. I was wait listed at BU. Pretty disappointed, as it was/is my top choice. I'm hesitant to tell applicants to put a deposit down at schools while they're waiting to hear from other programs, because it keeps people on the wait list from getting in, but I understand why people would do so. I got into Smith, and am supposed to hear from Simmons this week. I have to let Smith know by the end of this week, but I think I am leaning toward Simmons. I want to stay in the city. If I were to be admitted to BU later on, I would attend BU.

Good luck to everyone! Everyone is going to end up in a great program with a career that they love. Remember that! 

Thanks for the reply aglings! yea I was hoping people who got an offer could make up their mind and decide but I also completely understand if they don't want to lose a spot in BU.  Currently I am waiting for BC, UPenn and I was also wait listed at BU. I was determined to go to BU initially but now i dont know if i still stand much chance there. Hopefully we all get in! 

Actually, I don't know if you are rewarded with a scholarship. My coworker(who just got her MSW) said that you can ask the school to deduct your application fees from your scholarship. Perhaps this can be your option so that you do not pay anything out of pocket? I hope this does not sound like a bad advice.

I think the loan is just an estimate. The letter says they won't download the FAFSA until mid march so you won't know the exact aid until then but they want to provide everyone with an estimate to give them an idea of the cost.

Yeah, I figured. It is just so discouraging because it feels like I am almost willing to commit and purchase a product i really don't know how I am going to finance. I am probably going to have to take loans for all of my MSW program if I decide to go to BU. Is anyone else in a similar predicament? What are your thoughts on the cost of the school and program with the idea of the return rate? I am not pursuing an MSW for the money, but I definitely want to be able to live a basic lifestyle. 

Hey, I asked admissions department about getting an extension and they said they are unable to provide one. You're stuck with the two week deadline to respond.

I am so sorry to hear. They have not responded to me yet, so I will let you know what happens. 

Thank you all for providing support, knowledge, and advice. I am was the first generation graduate in my family, now I feel lost again as I am the first one again to pursue a graduate degree. (--__--)

HopefullMSW and guyinshortallday,

It seems like you both are from Nor-cal. I hope you will survive the cold if you decide to come here. I am originally from the bay area and have been living in Boston since 2011. I went to SJSU for my undergrad, go spartans! Well, if you guys decided to come to BC or BU, let me know. Perhaps we can meet up, as long as you bring me an in-and-out burger and we will be best friends forever. lol...

Edited by sweetpiepear

Yeah, I figured. It is just so discouraging because it feels like I am almost willing to commit and purchase a product i really don't know how I am going to finance. I am probably going to have to take loans for all of my MSW program if I decide to go to BU. Is anyone else in a similar predicament? What are your thoughts on the cost of the school and program with the idea of the return rate? I am not pursuing an MSW for the money, but I definitely want to be able to live a basic lifestyle. 

I am so sorry to hear. They have not responded to me yet, so I will let you know what happens. 

Thank you all for providing support, knowledge, and advice. I am was the first generation graduate in my family, now I feel lost again as I am the first one again to pursue a graduate degree. (--__--)

Yeah I'm worried about the finances now too. My boyfriend thinks it's a bad idea to take out so many loans for a job that will start off at $45K and not get higher than $80K. He thinks I shouldn't do it unless I get a full ride. Not sure what to do... There's a chance I may have to defer or consider other options for the time being. 

Something to consider though is some places offer repayment of student loans as long as you commit to working xx years for an agency in a high need area.  But yeah I hear you pmelwani regarding taking out $$$ in student loans for a not-so-high paying job.  Unfortunately that's the nature of social work---most of us do it for the passion, not to become millionaires.  Lord knows if it wasn't for my military service I wouldn't have been able to pursue a college education--especially at the graduate level, so I completely emphasize with you pmelwani when it comes to the frustration of possibly having to defer and wait it out.

Hahaaa....I miss animal style fries. I also crave for Jack in the Box!

By the way, I need help!

I just got a call from Boston University today and they said that they made a mistake with my application. They thought I was a part-time applicant. Now they are giving me a full scholarship. With BC, I am getting 75% and I will have about 10,000 debt per year. I really like BC and my heart already went to BC. I even submitted my check and the field placement application.

I wanted to work with delinquent youth, where should I go? 

Hahaaa....I miss animal style fries. I also crave for Jack in the Box!

By the way, I need help!

I just got a call from Boston University today and they said that they made a mistake with my application. They thought I was a part-time applicant. Now they are giving me a full scholarship. With BC, I am getting 75% and I will have about 10,000 debt per year. I really like BC and my heart already went to BC. I even submitted my check and the field placement application.

I wanted to work with delinquent youth, where should I go? 

I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW!!! I always say, "If it is FREE, it is for ME." You probably know my answer where to go. 

Also, it is funny that they called you and said they made a mistake and offered to give you a full ride out of thin air because I called them talking about financial aid and they said due to limited funding, there are no more resources being given out. Everyone now is on a current wait list (clearly that is a lie). This is why I am waiting for other schools admission decision so I don't waste my $300 fund towards funding another student and their lies of not having resources! lol

HopefullMSW and guyinshortallday,

It seems like you both are from Nor-cal. I hope you will survive the cold if you decide to come here. I am originally from the bay area and have been living in Boston since 2011. I went to SJSU for my undergrad, go spartans! Well, if you guys decided to come to BC or BU, let me know. Perhaps we can meet up, as long as you bring me an in-and-out burger and we will be best friends forever. lol...

Hahhaha if I end up at BU, we (you & guyinshorts) can all have an In n Out party!! I just heard back from USC today, but do not have scholarship info yet. I'm torn because I really wanna do trauma and Veteran research and USC is a great program for that. However, theyre also very unlikely to provide scholarships to incoming students so I can't really justify paying $90k for USC but around $40 for BU...ughhh I hate needing to make these decisions!!!