SLPA

Why do your professors look down on it? I'm currently an SLPA, and my starting salary in my school district (in Phoenix) is roughly equivalent to the starting salary for a teacher, although I know that's not always the case.

I feel like it can't hurt to be working in the field, and then try again for grad school once you've got some experience under your belt. That's the boat I'm in.

Make sure to check your state's laws on SLPAs. In Illinois, you have to do an actual SLPA associate's program in order to become one. Students with BAs in speech-language pathology can no longer work as SLPAs. 

As long as you are following the law and not working outside of your scope of practice, I don't think it's a bad plan B.

Would pursuing a SLPA be a good plan B if all else fails? I was thinking of doin it but if I apply again for spring, I don't think it'll be beneficial. Some of my professors even look down on it..any thoughts?

The only reason I could see it being bad is if in your app you make it sound as though having been an SLPA means you know everything about being an SLP and you're just getting the Master's so you qualify for more jobs. Or maybe if you talk about how you've done the exact same work as an SLP does (unless you're in a state where that's actually allowed) because that's against ASHA regulations and I can see it being taken as you not following ASHA rules...and even if you said that, you could probably get away with if you phrased it the right way in your essay.

In short, it shouldn't hurt you, it should only help you. Your profs probably look down on SLPAs because of how they're being employed - all too often employers are trying to use SLPAs to do SLP work and that's not looked well upon.

I'm a SLPA in California. Just make sure you're doing the leg work for the right credentials and licensing for your state. I had to complete a few state requirements to get my SLPA license and now I work for LAUSD. I'm learning a lot from my supervisors and definitely feel more prepared to become a SLP, but I agree with autismadvocate that you just need to remember that you're NOT an SLP. And you need to remember the distinction between the two. I haven't had the training or schooling of an SLP, so I'm not allowed to assess students, create goals or objectives or attend IEPs.

I'm applying to graduate school right now, and I feel like my experience as a SLPA has given me an advantage over those with only volunteer or observation experience. I get to point out what I've learned as a SLPA. But I also can point out my limitations as a SLPA, which have been an extra incentive for me to continue on in my education.

Edited by sheranik

I was told by my professors that an SLPA position would be my best bet to gain hands on experiance within the field. Asha and state boards in the state of New Mexico have very strict laws about slpa's I have to take graduate coursework and be supervised by a liscensed slp at least 20% of the time. Penalty for practicing above my certification is a felony. I think it has been an amazing experiance and i definitly feel more prepared for graduate school and the clincial experiance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was told by my professors that an SLPA position would be my best bet to gain hands on experiance within the field. Asha and state boards in the state of New Mexico have very strict laws about slpa's I have to take graduate coursework and be supervised by a liscensed slp at least 20% of the time. Penalty for practicing above my certification is a felony. I think it has been an amazing experiance and i definitly feel more prepared for graduate school and the clincial experiance.

Hey there! Im in NM too. If i ever get accepted off of the UNM waitlist I will be pursuing the SLPA license in NM as well. I saw that Rio Rancho public schools is hiring SLPAs. Was the application process for the license painful?

Is it easy to get into SLPA program?

CSUS and CSU Northridge are the only one in CA.

Is there any other college/university offer SLPA?

Chapman also has a program to become a SLPA but it is only for those who have gone through their post-bac program. 

I don't see how professors could/would look down on experience as an SLPA. I've been working as an SLPA over the past year, and it's like an internship. It varies from state to state, but this is how it works in Minnesota: You can do everything the SLP does (you cannot contact parents, attend meetings without a supervisor, or assess), but you can do nearly everything else when it comes to therapy. A certain amount of hours is supervised, as well, so you get a lot of feedback (like you would in the clinical setting for the graduate program). I've learned SO much over the past year working as an SLPA. The one thing my professors talked about that IS looked down upon is having a temporary license or a variance to work as an SLP without a masters degree. They said the only reason they don't like it is because it makes them question the ethical standards of the person. They aren't trained to be doing everything a fully licensed SLP can do. I think being an SLPA for a year would be great for you. I didn't get any acceptances last year when I applied, and this year I got two acceptances as well as a few wait lists. The only thing I changed on my application was my experience being an SLPA and one added letter of rec from my supervisor at my setting. Hope this helps!

I, too, work as a SLPA and have been for the past year & a half. Working in the field that you're intending to pursue higher education in is definitely a plus ...no matter what field that may be. I have been told by professors that admissions & graduate programs want to make sure you'll be a successful clinician, not just a successful student. That is why they take into consideration your work experience. There's no teacher like experience! It teaches you what textbooks don't! Plus, they also want to make sure that you're dedicated to the field. Programs don't want to invest time into people who won't end up using their education. If you've had previous experience under your belt, you're more likely to want to continue working in the field once you graduate (in their eyes). So, it definitely wouldn't hurt! 

I've honestly learned SO much working as a SLPA in California. But, I know that there is still so much more for me to learn. Being a SLPA actually motivates me more in terms of getting my MA. Having those restrictions (like not being able to assess, create goals, etc.), actually makes me want to learn more.

Hope that helps!

Is it easy to get into SLPA program?

CSUS and CSU Northridge are the only one in CA.

Is there any other college/university offer SLPA?

It depends. (You're inquiring for your daughter, correct?) Does she have her BA in communicative disorders? If so, she can attend CSUN's online SLPA program. There's a class that last for a couple months (I believe) and in addition to that, you complete an internship where you shadow & work with a licensed SLP. After you've successfully completed the course & 70 fieldwork hours, you'll be able to apply for your SLPA license (which entails gathering appropriate signatures, paperwork, & background checks & submitting it to the CA licensing board). There are other requirements you could fulfill instead of the 70 fieldwork hrs --

1. Must have 70 hours of fieldwork experience OR nine months of full-time work experience performing the duties of an SLPA in a public school setting OR nine months of full-time work as an SLPA in another state with the appropriate authorization to practice. (According to CA state licensing board)

There are community colleges where you can receive an associates degree in communicative disorders, but that will take 2 years. After that, you'll still need to complete 80 hrs during an internship.

Here's a link to the CA licensing board website: http://www.speechandhearing.ca.gov/applicants/app_pack_slp_assist.shtml and FAQs on the ASHA website: http://www.asha.org/associates/SLPA-FAQs.htm#g2

Well I guess I'll be the one to revive this thread.  

For starters - in NJ and NY - it appears that SLP "support personnel" (aka SLPA's) aren't regulated ... here's a link: http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/Support-Personnel-Excluding-School-Settings.pdf  Not regulated means... what exactly?

Based on the qualifications that ASHA lists here http://www.asha.org/policy/SP2013-00337/#sec1.6.1 it seems that the 100 hours supervised field work (combined with the B.A. degree in-hand) are the hard requirements (with demonstrating competent SLPA skills the softer requirement - unless there is some quantitative way that is assessed for the SLPA candidate).

Is SLPA a worthy "plan B" for those of us potentially not getting into a Fall 2014 Masters program (plan "B" until I get into a Master's program, I meant, not as an alternative to working as a licensed SLP)?  I can't imagine it would hurt one's resume.

Comments more than welcome.

Edited by Greyhound111

Look into the need for SLPAs and requirements to be one in your state. I know Texas uses them in schools and home health. If there's a demand for them where you're at then I say go for it! :) It'll only give you more hands on experience in the end.

@Missthang, @kuuipo ... Thanks ...

Scanning the web for SLPA opportunities here in the NY/NJ area isn't revealing too many opportunities... or info ... and I can't seem to find the right details on what it takes to become an SLPA in NJ... since NJ (and NY) don't "regulate" support personnel... so even if I accumulate the 100 supervised hours the ASHA web site says I need to accompany my B.A. degree... I'm assuming I'd have to become SLPA certified in some other state that does "regulate" at that level ??

I'm not sure about that (I'm in Texas). I have a few friends planning on doing SLPA for a year until next admission cycle and were told that it'll basically take them this whole summer to get their license and then to find a job. Our school has a faculty member who is in charge of the SLPA program, so that's where we've picked up on the info from (as a fall back for anyone who doesn't get into grad school).

If your school has someone who was previously an SLPA or possibly works with someone who is, maybe you can contact them to see what all is needed. Another suggestion would be to call your state's dept that issues the licenses and get a specific timeline of what all is needed and how to go about that process. Or... if you find a company that hires SLPAs, they may be willing to help you through that process. At TSHA there were several home health agencies there who said they were willing to help you get the hours in to obtain your license (however, you're not paid for any of it until you're actually licensed and working). Hope this helps!

I think it's really dependent on the state. I applied for SLPA positions before I completed my bachelors degree (knowing the school wouldn't need me for a few months until the next school year began) and did my 100 hours over the summer with ESY, etc. The school that hired me helped me to get my 100 hours in before the school year began. The 100 hours are pretty flexible, too. The guidelines are all on the ASHA website and stated in that state's guidelines.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends. (You're inquiring for your daughter, correct?) Does she have her BA in communicative disorders? If so, she can attend CSUN's online SLPA program. There's a class that last for a couple months (I believe) and in addition to that, you complete an internship where you shadow & work with a licensed SLP. After you've successfully completed the course & 70 fieldwork hours, you'll be able to apply for your SLPA license (which entails gathering appropriate signatures, paperwork, & background checks & submitting it to the CA licensing board). There are other requirements you could fulfill instead of the 70 fieldwork hrs --

1. Must have 70 hours of fieldwork experience OR nine months of full-time work experience performing the duties of an SLPA in a public school setting OR nine months of full-time work as an SLPA in another state with the appropriate authorization to practice. (According to CA state licensing board)

There are community colleges where you can receive an associates degree in communicative disorders, but that will take 2 years. After that, you'll still need to complete 80 hrs during an internship.

Here's a link to the CA licensing board website: http://www.speechandhearing.ca.gov/applicants/app_pack_slp_assist.shtml and FAQs on the ASHA website: http://www.asha.org/associates/SLPA-FAQs.htm#g2

Thanks Ziggy. Yes, I'm searching for my daughter. She will be completing her BS in Communication Disorders next month. Even getting in SLPA is very competitive now a days, that's her back up plan or plan B. Plan C will be online as you mentioned CSUN.