SLPA

Thought I would chime in on this topic:

I work as an "SLPA" in Canada - but we have programs here (in Ontario), and we are called Communicative Disorders Assistants (CDA's). However, this program is not fully acknowledged across the country, it is way more recognized out east (Ontario area) most likely because of the programs that offer these job positions.   I did some work as a CDA in Ontario before I moved to Vancouver, where there are a lot more opportunites (maybe because there are less qualified people in the province due to lack of the program here). Here, I work as a SLPA and as a "technician" -- as a tech, I am assisting audiologists in a hearing clinic. I really love the hands-on experience I have gained here & as a result have made some great connections within the field and LORs. Just thought I would pass on some Canadian info - feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

• 1 month later...

I'm a SLPA in California. Just make sure you're doing the leg work for the right credentials and licensing for your state. I had to complete a few state requirements to get my SLPA license and now I work for LAUSD. I'm learning a lot from my supervisors and definitely feel more prepared to become a SLP, but I agree with autismadvocate that you just need to remember that you're NOT an SLP. And you need to remember the distinction between the two. I haven't had the training or schooling of an SLP, so I'm not allowed to assess students, create goals or objectives or attend IEPs.

I'm applying to graduate school right now, and I feel like my experience as a SLPA has given me an advantage over those with only volunteer or observation experience. I get to point out what I've learned as a SLPA. But I also can point out my limitations as a SLPA, which have been an extra incentive for me to continue on in my education.

Hi, I was just wondering, are there a lot of opportunities in LAUSD for SLPA's? Also, do you get benefits? Paid time off? Salary or hourly? Do you mind telling me the average rate of pay for an SLPA? I'm looking into eventually getting my license in CA. Thank you!

Hi, I was just wondering, are there a lot of opportunities in LAUSD for SLPA's? Also, do you get benefits? Paid time off? Salary or hourly? Do you mind telling me the average rate of pay for an SLPA? I'm looking into eventually getting my license in CA. Thank you!

Salary for an SLPA in California can range from $15/hr-25/hr starting wage.  After that you can make up to $30/hr after many years.

Salary for an SLPA in California can range from $15/hr-25/hr starting wage.  After that you can make up to $30/hr after many years.

ok thank you!

• 10 months later...

Make sure to check your state's laws on SLPAs. In Illinois, you have to do an actual SLPA associate's program in order to become one. Students with BAs in speech-language pathology can no longer work as SLPAs. 

As long as you are following the law and not working outside of your scope of practice, I don't think it's a bad plan B.

I am in IL too and am taking SLPA in the fall at an online school.  Thank you for this information.  I have a BA in Sociology/Human Services, but feel SLPA will prepare me for grad school better than Post-Bac. 

It depends. (You're inquiring for your daughter, correct?) Does she have her BA in communicative disorders? If so, she can attend CSUN's online SLPA program. There's a class that last for a couple months (I believe) and in addition to that, you complete an internship where you shadow & work with a licensed SLP. After you've successfully completed the course & 70 fieldwork hours, you'll be able to apply for your SLPA license (which entails gathering appropriate signatures, paperwork, & background checks & submitting it to the CA licensing board). There are other requirements you could fulfill instead of the 70 fieldwork hrs --

1. Must have 70 hours of fieldwork experience OR nine months of full-time work experience performing the duties of an SLPA in a public school setting OR nine months of full-time work as an SLPA in another state with the appropriate authorization to practice. (According to CA state licensing board)

There are community colleges where you can receive an associates degree in communicative disorders, but that will take 2 years. After that, you'll still need to complete 80 hrs during an internship.

Here's a link to the CA licensing board website: http://www.speechandhearing.ca.gov/applicants/app_pack_slp_assist.shtml and FAQs on the ASHA website: http://www.asha.org/associates/SLPA-FAQs.htm#g2

Well I got accepted into Lake Region State College Online SLPA program for Fall 2015.  Tuition is 180/credit.  However, you have to take two Special Ed classes through another university online which costs $700/class but you can take it with one other class that's 180/credit.  That is the best that I found, maybe not cheap, but affordable I would say, yes.  You also have to take two classes a semester at the least.  I am doing the part time online option.  

Contact potential grad schools to see how they view SLPA. Most schools I asked on the East Coast said it does not matter. Doesn't hurt or greatly add to application. University of Maryland said any experience looks good, shows you are commited to the field and can be a great resource for your essay application.

My mentor told me that some schools could turn their nose up to SLPAs because it doesn't show ambition to pursue SLP career and if you become an SLPA for more than a year and you lose contact with professors then your less likely to have strong reccomendation letters.

My mentor told me that some schools could turn their nose up to SLPAs because it doesn't show ambition to pursue SLP career and if you become an SLPA for more than a year and you lose contact with professors then your less likely to have strong reccomendation letters.

Any school like this is probably going to turn their nose up at me for being middle-aged and a former stay-at-home mom. Ironically, I'm much more ambitious at this stage of my life than I was in my 20's when I had babies on the brain.

Any school like this is probably going to turn their nose up at me for being middle-aged and a former stay-at-home mom. Ironically, I'm much more ambitious at this stage of my life than I was in my 20's when I had babies on the brain.

If you have been out of school for some time, your best bet is to take a few CSD classes to get strong reccomendation letters. But, again I would check with schools. Don't lose hope! Also, this is not every school's opinon.

I'm starting the SLPA program at my local community college this fall and taking a few of the upperclass grad school pre-reqs at Utah State online this summer. For state certification as as SLPA & grad school admissions, I could either do the full SLPA program plus 4-5 upper-level courses or the full USU 2nd bachelor's plus 4 SLPA courses. I missed this year's application cycle for out-of-field MS-SLP programs because up until February I thought I was going to do ed therapy. I'm really glad that I found out about my daughter's hearing loss before I submitted the ed therapy applications rather than after because I would've been out $$$. As it was, I had to tell my literacy tutoring supervisor to hang onto the LoR she was writing because it's going to need to be revised for SLP.

I'm not sure what you mean by "nose up to SLPA because it deson't show ambition to pursue SLP career"? 

Well if I worked as SLPA, I would have strong LOR from other SLPs I work with.  Is it more important to have LORs from professors? 

Contact potential grad schools to see how they view SLPA. Most schools I asked on the East Coast said it does not matter. Doesn't hurt or greatly add to application. University of Maryland said any experience looks good, shows you are commited to the field and can be a great resource for your essay application.

Good luck to you.  I am 37 right now.  WIll be 39.5 when I get my SLPA.  Probably 40 or 41 when I apply to grad school.  Do they frown upon middle-aged students? My youngest daughter will be 17 or 18 when I apply to grad school. 

So great to hear.  Are you going to work part time as SLPA during grad school? I would think SLPA would be experience booster that's why I'm going to get SLPA before grad school

I'm a SLPA in CA. It's definitely been an experience booster that's for sure and has opened up so many doors for me in the future already.

If you have been out of school for some time, your best bet is to take a few CSD classes to get strong reccomendation letters. But, again I would check with schools. Don't lose hope! Also, this is not every school's opinon.

Well I am limited to online schools, because the IL grad schools are too far.  WI is the closest, which is online, which I like, is UW Eau Claire.

So great to hear.  Are you going to work part time as SLPA during grad school? I would think SLPA would be experience booster that's why I'm going to get SLPA before grad school

Probably not because SLPA is so demanding. :[ 

@takeuwithme Almost all schools require at least two LORS from academic professors. They prefer them over employers. Again, you have to ask schools how they view SLPA. It's different for all of them. I have read posts too many times of SLPAs who have been in field for 3-5 years, bilingual, good grades, but can't get into grad school. They've been out of school for some time and lack strong letters of recommendation and in 3-5 years of time didn't push themselves to pursue it.

I was also an SLPA in the Colorado public schools for 3 years. However, due to the low pay (~$18/hour), it was not a salary I could live on for an extended period of time. While I did learn A LOT, now being in graduate school, I see how much I DID NOT know. I know for a fact my experience helped me get into grad school and confirmed that SLP was a field I wanted to continue in. I also will say that I attend grad school in a state where SLPAs are not utilized, this may have changed my professors/admission committee's viewpoint. 

Edited by kuuipo

I tried to skim most posts but not all of them so sorry if someone already said this.  

One of the attractive qualities of the SLP career is that you can find a job absolutely anywhere.  I just wanted to mention that not every school district can afford to hire SLPA's.  If you are flexible where you live or there is a demand in your area, being a SLPA could be very helpful.  Just make sure that there is a job waiting for you after you get that license. Because if there isn't a SLPA license and no work experience won't help your resume/application.

I've heard two completely opposite opinions on the need for SLPA's all in a 50 mile radius.  One was saying it was rare to have them and they ONLY had them b/c their district was lucky enough to afford them.  But if their caseload was smaller the school would have pulled an SLP from another district before hiring a SLPA.  Another (SLPA) said they totally have a demand for them.  BUT she wasn't in a position to hire so i'm not sure if that was only her opinion or if her district was trying to hire people. 

Also are you bilingual?  Every SLPA i've met has been bilingual Spanish/English.  I've only met 4 but they were all bilingual making them really valuable for districts with English speaking SLP's and large Hispanic populations.

@takeuwithme Almost all schools require at least two LORS from academic professors. They prefer them over employers. Again, you have to ask schools how they view SLPA. It's different for all of them. I have read posts too many times of SLPAs who have been in field for 3-5 years, bilingual, good grades, but can't get into grad school. They've been out of school for some time and lack strong letters of recommendation and in 3-5 years of time didn't push themselves to pursue it.

I see.  So maybe I should apply to grad school right after getting SLPA? or 6 months after, maybe? Would that be too long? 

To me, that is not low salary.  I could live off of that except not the school system, unless it was 10 months.  I would need something 12 months.  That's good to know the SLPA experience did help you get into grad school.  So how do you survive/live while going to grad school? Do you work part time anywhere? In my area, SLPA job opportunities are above average which will be helpful. 

I was also an SLPA in the Colorado public schools for 3 years. However, due to the low pay (~$18/hour), it was not a salary I could live on for an extended period of time. While I did learn A LOT, now being in graduate school, I see how much I DID NOT know. I know for a fact my experience helped me get into grad school and confirmed that SLP was a field I wanted to continue in. I also will say that I attend grad school in a state where SLPAs are not utilized, this may have changed my professors/admission committee's viewpoint. 

Well I have seen that every area is different when it comes to SLPA job opportunities.  I found a great site that says which states have above average SLPA jobs.  

Here's the link:  https://www.mynextmove.org/profile/state/31-9099.01?from=profile  The orange states have above average opportunities.

Luckily, I'm in the above average state.  

As far as bilingual, I am somewhat bilingual.   I took 3 years of spanish in college, and my minor was in Spanish, I did a spanish speaking social work internship for 3 months.  I also tutored ESL to a spanish speaking adult student for almost 2 years, but i terminated that so I can go back to college and won't have time for that.  I am going to work full time while taking SLPA online program.  (Hoping to work part time as SLPA during grad school) I can have a basic conversation, but I would have to brush up on speech language terminology in spanish to be considered bilingual in SLPA.  In my job now, I speak spanish to some people that don't speak English.  Believe it or not, I still have my spanish textbooks from college.  I still think I have a chance at grad school, based on my spanish speaking skills.  Time will tell. 

I tried to skim most posts but not all of them so sorry if someone already said this.  

One of the attractive qualities of the SLP career is that you can find a job absolutely anywhere.  I just wanted to mention that not every school district can afford to hire SLPA's.  If you are flexible where you live or there is a demand in your area, being a SLPA could be very helpful.  Just make sure that there is a job waiting for you after you get that license. Because if there isn't a SLPA license and no work experience won't help your resume/application.

I've heard two completely opposite opinions on the need for SLPA's all in a 50 mile radius.  One was saying it was rare to have them and they ONLY had them b/c their district was lucky enough to afford them.  But if their caseload was smaller the school would have pulled an SLP from another district before hiring a SLPA.  Another (SLPA) said they totally have a demand for them.  BUT she wasn't in a position to hire so i'm not sure if that was only her opinion or if her district was trying to hire people. 

Also are you bilingual?  Every SLPA i've met has been bilingual Spanish/English.  I've only met 4 but they were all bilingual making them really valuable for districts with English speaking SLP's and large Hispanic populations.

I think it just depends on how you use your SLPA experience in your personal statement. You would need to make sure that you don't give the impression that you've learned everything you need to learn by being an SLPA, because schools might be turned off if you make it seem like you already know everything about being an SLP. That's what I heard at least. SLPA can be valuable experience but just make sure you talk about how you can build on that experience in grad school and why it adds to your desire to pursue SLP.

However if your only experience will be SLPA, I would suggest also doing some volunteer work elsewhere to diversify your experiences a little, but that's just my opinion.

I would never say I've learned all I ever will in any job position.  There is always room for learning in any job or field.  

Well I have done lots of volunteer experience, actually, tutoring ESL to spanish speaker(adult) for 2 years, worked with foster care teens for a few months in WI before I moved to IL, AIDS walk 2 times, took two autistic high schoolers to lunch when I was in high school, did spanish speaking social work internship working with low income families for 3 months and special olympics one event.

I think it just depends on how you use your SLPA experience in your personal statement. You would need to make sure that you don't give the impression that you've learned everything you need to learn by being an SLPA, because schools might be turned off if you make it seem like you already know everything about being an SLP. That's what I heard at least. SLPA can be valuable experience but just make sure you talk about how you can build on that experience in grad school and why it adds to your desire to pursue SLP.

However if your only experience will be SLPA, I would suggest also doing some volunteer work elsewhere to diversify your experiences a little, but that's just my opinion.