USC, UCLA, CSULB, CSUDH MSW 2014

Gnessa19

Has anyone else applied to USC for the priority deadline but have yet to hear back? Like me?? I don't know if that basically means I'm rejected at this point... :(

Yes, I definitely applied by the priority deadline and still haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking I should just accept the fact that maybe USC doesn't want me...

I'm totally nervous about UCLA and CSULA too...

Yes, I definitely applied by the priority deadline and still haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking I should just accept the fact that maybe USC doesn't want me...

I'm totally nervous about UCLA and CSULA too...

I was just accepted into BU's program yesterday with a scholarship, and have to respond within two weeks - no extensions allowed. I hope USC gets back to us before then...do you happen to know if USC offers any scholarships?? Hope you hear back with good news soon! Edited by HopefulMSW

HopefulMSW - USC is a very expensive program and - because they are a private school - they do not offer as many scholarship opportunities as most other schools do. Unless you've got a lot of dough (a.k.a. money) I would give BU a try.. have you heard from Simmons yet? I hear that's a good program too. ALSO there are some professionals who talk about private grad schools like USC that accept so many students that the individual experience may be compromised. I hope this helps, good luck with your decision!

HopefulMSW - USC is a very expensive program and - because they are a private school - they do not offer as many scholarship opportunities as most other schools do. Unless you've got a lot of dough (a.k.a. money) I would give BU a try.. have you heard from Simmons yet? I hear that's a good program too. ALSO there are some professionals who talk about private grad schools like USC that accept so many students that the individual experience may be compromised. I hope this helps, good luck with your decision!

Hey esimanon, thank you so much for the info! Unfortunately I don't have a lot of dough, so without a scholarship from USC, it's highly unlikely that I will be able to attend. Especially since BU offered me a very generous scholarship, it's very difficult to justify going to USC.Simmons mailed out decisions on Monday but with the weather and my being in CA, I haven't received anything yet. Any idea about scholarships for Simmons??

Hey HopefulMSW- You're welcome! You're going to be so much happier/feel justified/and comfortable during grad school with a scholarship. Congrats on your admission! I don't have any info for Simmons as I didn't apply there.

You're awesome! I hope you hear back with good news soon!!

I was just accepted into BU's program yesterday with a scholarship, and have to respond within two weeks - no extensions allowed. I hope USC gets back to us before then...do you happen to know if USC offers any scholarships?? Hope you hear back with good news soon!

We are in the same boat!!!

Hi everyone, I am a new poster but I have been following the forums for about a month. I just received my acceptance to USC and I received a later email from financial aid and although I am happy I got accepted I only received a $6,000 scholarship from the program. Do any of you know if there will be scholarship offers will be made later or is that it I'm not too happy about paying 80K for my degree.

Because USC is a private school, there are significantly less scholarship opportunities - I wouldn't expect more offerings...

Correct me if I am wrong but I feel like USC is actually offering more scholarships since they have more money to give out compared to CSU'S.. CSU offers one or two stipend/grant programs and not as many scholarships. Then again I don't think all the scholarships will be able to cover USC's price tag. 

http://sowkweb.usc.edu/scholarships

Hi everyone, I am a new poster but I have been following the forums for about a month. I just received my acceptance to USC and I received a later email from financial aid and although I am happy I got accepted I only received a $6,000 scholarship from the program. Do any of you know if there will be scholarship offers will be made later or is that it I'm not too happy about paying 80K for my degree.

I am on the same boat as you.. Would like to go to USC but scared of the price tag. 

elbimbo - I have reviewed the list of scholarships that are listed on the USC website - it looks like a long list but these scholarships are highly specific and only a very small percent of students will be eligible - I wouldn't want to depend on that list to finance my grad school degree, that's for dang sure!

elbimbo - I have reviewed the list of scholarships that are listed on the USC website - it looks like a long list but these scholarships are highly specific and only a very small percent of students will be eligible - I wouldn't want to depend on that list to finance my grad school degree, that's for dang sure!

I compared that list with CSUN's and CSUN's was way shorter and I didn't qualify for any at all. The whole financing for grad school sitch is sort of stressing me out but I am just hoping for the best! 

I applied to...

USC: received an email saying they'll be sending out decisions within the next couple of weeks

UCLA: called the office, they said beginning of March

CSULB: received email in January that I'm on the "pending list", I'll be given a final decision in June

CSUDH: told me is takes 8 weeks from the day you submit it, I have around 5-6 more weeks then

Cumulative GPA: 3.34

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.71

CSULB B.A.: Sociology c/o 2013

Volunteer hours total: 400+

Anyone get acceptance letters????

I was rejected from CSULA today.

@Gnessa19 - yay glad to meet someone who also applied to CSUDH. I applied Nov 1st and I still haven't received my admission decision 3 months later :( I called three weeks ago and they said my app was in the second phase of review. So strange it's taking them three months!

@fiz3583 and @baffledgenious - congrats guys!!!!

I applied to csudh too but i havent heard back yet

I was rejected from CSULA today.

I'm really sorry to hear that, but don't give up hope, stay positive :) if you don't mind me asking did they notify you by mail or email? I'm still waiting for my decision for both CSULA and CSUDH, which I applied to in November (here it is almost March lol) ..

I compared that list with CSUN's and CSUN's was way shorter and I didn't qualify for any at all. The whole financing for grad school sitch is sort of stressing me out but I am just hoping for the best! 

I remember you said that you interviewed for CSUN, did you hear back from them about acceptance? :) Btw, the great thing about Cal state schools is that they DO offer state university grants to cover the tuition if you qualify! all you need to do is fill out the fafsa by march 1. No other universities in california (including UC's) offer grants through the state or federal, so its great that the cal states offer that! :)