BA in psych, wanting to do SLP. Advice/guidance needed...

Hi everyone,

First - this forum has been a great resource! Thank you all for the informative threads.

I have my Bachelor's in psychology and I am interested in doing a Master's program for SLP.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.7

GRE: Verbal: 161, Quant: 156, AW: 5.0

I have 3+ years of research experience in psychology, with many (~20) poster presentations (regionally/nationally). Possibly 1-2 pubs in progress that may be in press by the time I apply. Again, this is all irrelevant to SLP though it is with pediatrics.

I don't have any of my pre-reqs for SLP. I have my math, physical science, stats, and AP credit for my bio science that my undergrad university gave me credit for (zoology). Does anyone know if that is okay?

My next plan is to start observing SLPs. How many hours should I aim for? Also, do I build enough rapport/professional relationships to get a LOR? I plan on getting 2 LORs from my psych mentors, I imagine they would be fairy strong. I work full-time, so it will be tricky. I will also have to quit most of my psych research (while still hoping they can write my LORs in the fall).

Are there any schools that are more friendly to out-of-field applications? I'm still researching schools, but please let me know if any sound like they may be a good fit for me.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a psych major!

I think it'll only help you because the fields are related. Research experience will help and ur GPA is really good. Some schools do have out of field but it'll take u n extra year or so, might as well get the double degree, no? You will be doing observation as part of ur Slp coursework but aim for at least 25. And yes! The more professional relationships you can build the better for letters of rec!

If u have any questions feel free to ask!

I'm a career changer too.  I would suggest trying to complete your pre-reqs before grad school for a few reasons:

1. It will give you a larger pool of graduate schools to choose from.

2. It will give you a better chance of getting into grad school.

3. This is my subjective opinion, but I feel like doing the pre-reqs first is a cheaper option.  This (obviously) depends on what school you're going to attend, but the price per credit hour at Utah State (where I'm doing my pre-reqs) is a LOT cheaper than most of the graduate schools I'm applying to.

Changing your career can be scary, but it's well worth it if SLP is what you want to do!  Good luck!

I'm a career changer too.  I would suggest trying to complete your pre-reqs before grad school for a few reasons:

1. It will give you a larger pool of graduate schools to choose from.

2. It will give you a better chance of getting into grad school.

3. This is my subjective opinion, but I feel like doing the pre-reqs first is a cheaper option.  This (obviously) depends on what school you're going to attend, but the price per credit hour at Utah State (where I'm doing my pre-reqs) is a LOT cheaper than most of the graduate schools I'm applying to.

Changing your career can be scary, but it's well worth it if SLP is what you want to do!  Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

I keep going back and forth between doing pre-reqs and doing a 3-year Master's. It looks like there are many pros and cons to each option.

One thing that confuses me is that each school has slightly different pre-req courses... Maybe I should focus on the most common ones?

Does ASHA have a list of pre-reqs?

Edited by Saila09

Thanks for the feedback!

I keep going back and forth between doing pre-reqs and doing a 3-year Master's. It looks like there are many pros and cons to each option.

One thing that confuses me is that each school has slightly different pre-req courses... Maybe I should focus on the most common ones?

Does ASHA have a list of pre-reqs?

That is the tricky part.  When I started to look at grad schools, I made a spread sheet of each school's required pre-reqs.  You'll see that many of them are similar.  Ultimately, I decided to do a second bachelor's because it covered all my bases and would only take me a year.  However, many people have been successful at just taking pre-req courses.

That is the tricky part.  When I started to look at grad schools, I made a spread sheet of each school's required pre-reqs.  You'll see that many of them are similar.  Ultimately, I decided to do a second bachelor's because it covered all my bases and would only take me a year.  However, many people have been successful at just taking pre-req courses.

I am definitely considering it.

Do you think there is any chance I would be able to get funding for a 3-years Master's? I know funding is scarce... Just wondering what your thoughts were.

I would recommend prereqs first. You can take online classes next year to get you started. USF has a distance learning program (CSD post bacc) that starts in the summer - you may wish to look into it. Personally online classes are pretty easy.

I am also a psych major, btw, and I took my own advice so I can attest that it works.

Most schools require that at least two of your LOR come from SLP faculty. As for observation hours, you need at least 25 but the more the better! A lot of programs require all the pre-reqs to be done before admission so I would start there. Good luck!

^I only had one school require an LoR from CSD faculty, and even then it was only one letter. Maybe there's more of a range than we thought?

Anyways, schools that accept students without prereqs (meaning they have three year programs) could hardly require an LoR from CSD faculty. That could actually be quite useful - don't apply to schools that require those LoRs, maybe?

^I only had one school require an LoR from CSD faculty, and even then it was only one letter. Maybe there's more of a range than we thought?

Anyways, schools that accept students without prereqs (meaning they have three year programs) could hardly require an LoR from CSD faculty. That could actually be quite useful - don't apply to schools that require those LoRs, maybe?

I have only seen one school that requires LORs from SLP/CSD faculty.

Most strongly recommend "academic references" and mine would certainly be academic. These 2 individuals have known me for 2-ish years now, so I think their letters would be very strong. I don't think I am going to meet anyone this year who would be willing to write me a stronger letter. Nonetheless, my goal is to make my third letter from an SLP.

I am hesitant to do online classes for two reasons: 1.) cost and 2.) no personal contact. Ideally, if I am going to take prereqs, I would like to establish some professional relationships and thus get that third LOR. I know some online programs are willing to write LORs but I question their quality...

I am still somewhat perplexed by how different each school's prereqs are. There are certainly overlaps, but my availability is limited if I want to go in-state for prereqs.

I just got into U of I and one of my letter writers was my online professor for phonetics.  She asked for my resume, asked what grades I was getting, and asked me if there was anything special she should highlight in my LOR.  I never saw her letter, but I'm assuming she did a good job since I got accepted somewhere.  However, my other two letter writers were people I knew personally and I felt confident they would write amazing letters.

Also, (I feel like a USU cheerleader) I've been EXTREMELY impressed by Utah State's pre-reqs.  Even though they are online, they are very well done AND you get in-state tuition no matter where you live!  From what I've heard, USU is pretty well known as far as online programs go, so you shouldn't have a problem with any schools accepting their coursework.

I just got into U of I and one of my letter writers was my online professor for phonetics.  She asked for my resume, asked what grades I was getting, and asked me if there was anything special she should highlight in my LOR.  I never saw her letter, but I'm assuming she did a good job since I got accepted somewhere.  However, my other two letter writers were people I knew personally and I felt confident they would write amazing letters.

Also, (I feel like a USU cheerleader) I've been EXTREMELY impressed by Utah State's pre-reqs.  Even though they are online, they are very well done AND you get in-state tuition no matter where you live!  From what I've heard, USU is pretty well known as far as online programs go, so you shouldn't have a problem with any schools accepting their coursework.

Wow, thanks so  much for sharing!

If you don't mind me asking, did you just take prereqs or did you do the 2nd bachelor's option?

Their in-state tuition calculator suggests it would be around 3k/semester. Does that sound right?

I'm doing the 2nd bachelors, but a lot of people just take the pre-reqs.  

That amount sounds about right for tuition.  Bonus: you don't actually need the textbooks for most classes.  And there's a great online community too.  I'm part of a big group for Utah State 2nd Bachelors SLPs on Facebook.  They give awesome advice and support. :)

I noticed how different schools require different prereqs as well, and many schools, in fact, require a CSD major. For that reason, I decided to get my second bachelor's (post bacc) and I would recommend doing the same just so you have more options. Also, it's nice because now if I don't get into any schools next year (I don't think that will happen, but I'm a paranoid person who always likes to have a back up plan) I can go and be an SLPA. :)

I'm doing the 2nd bachelors, but a lot of people just take the pre-reqs.  

That amount sounds about right for tuition.  Bonus: you don't actually need the textbooks for most classes.  And there's a great online community too.  I'm part of a big group for Utah State 2nd Bachelors SLPs on Facebook.  They give awesome advice and support. :)

Wow, that's great. I see that on the website it says it's 3 semesters. Are these classes offered in the summer? Thanks for sharing this info. Maybe I could also work at the same time, which would be good. It always helps to have more options to look into - even if it may seem overwhelming at the moment. ;)

I noticed how different schools require different prereqs as well, and many schools, in fact, require a CSD major. For that reason, I decided to get my second bachelor's (post bacc) and I would recommend doing the same just so you have more options. Also, it's nice because now if I don't get into any schools next year (I don't think that will happen, but I'm a paranoid person who always likes to have a back up plan) I can go and be an SLPA. :)

I actually haven't ran across many schools that require a CSD major. 

Pros for me: Higher GPA (3.7 isn't bad, but 4.0 is better.), more exposure to the field, and most importantly, I'd save 1 year and I could directly go into a 2-ish year  Master's program. Could also save money if Utah is really $3k/semester!

Cons: Each school as different prereqs. I am going to look more into Utah's online post-bacc. Hopefully I can get 1 strong letter from it if I do it. I'm just nervous that the professors would have some pre-made letter they use for all students... It's a horror story I've heard. Yikes...

Edited by Saila09

Yes, all classes are offered in the summer. Also, just so you know, the COMD classes have a longer summer semester than regular Utah State classes.  I assume that this is so they won't be squishing a lot of info into a short 6 week class.

If you have any questions about the program, I would highly recommend talking to Brynne Davies.  She is the advisor for all 2nd Bachelor's students and she is very helpful.

As far as working, I took two classes last semester while I was a full-time teacher and it was very manageable.  Some people are able to take four classes a semester while working, but I wasn't able to, since I often worked 11-12+ hours a day.  I believe USU recommends to take four classes per semester if you plan to finish the degree in a year.

Again, (and this is just my experience), I wouldn't stress about the LOR.  The professors at Utah State are used to writing letters for the 2nd Bachelor's students and seem to do a good job.  I would just make sure that you have two people that you know personally to write your other letters.

Yes, all classes are offered in the summer. Also, just so you know, the COMD classes have a longer summer semester than regular Utah State classes.  I assume that this is so they won't be squishing a lot of info into a short 6 week class.

If you have any questions about the program, I would highly recommend talking to Brynne Davies.  She is the advisor for all 2nd Bachelor's students and she is very helpful.

As far as working, I took two classes last semester while I was a full-time teacher and it was very manageable.  Some people are able to take four classes a semester while working, but I wasn't able to, since I often worked 11-12+ hours a day.  I believe USU recommends to take four classes per semester if you plan to finish the degree in a year.

Again, (and this is just my experience), I wouldn't stress about the LOR.  The professors at Utah State are used to writing letters for the 2nd Bachelor's students and seem to do a good job.  I would just make sure that you have two people that you know personally to write your other letters.

Thanks for the info! I will contact her with any other questions. I would try to work 40 hours a week, and maybe observe 4 hours on top of that. Hopefully that is manageable. I am fairly confident with my 2 LORs from psychology. (Fingers crossed!)

Wow, that's great. I see that on the website it says it's 3 semesters. Are these classes offered in the summer? Thanks for sharing this info. Maybe I could also work at the same time, which would be good. It always helps to have more options to look into - even if it may seem overwhelming at the moment. ;)

I actually haven't ran across many schools that require a CSD major. 

Pros for me: Higher GPA (3.7 isn't bad, but 4.0 is better.), more exposure to the field, and most importantly, I'd save 1 year and I could directly go into a 2-ish year  Master's program. Could also save money if Utah is really $3k/semester!

Cons: Each school as different prereqs. I am going to look more into Utah's online post-bacc. Hopefully I can get 1 strong letter from it if I do it. I'm just nervous that the professors would have some pre-made letter they use for all students... It's a horror story I've heard. Yikes...

I'm in an online program right now and I can say I would be just as comfortable having my profs through there give me LoRs as my in person classes. Actually, I think I'd like it better because even though we're only in month two I feel like I have formed tighter bondes with my online profs than my in person CSD profs (which, admittedly, were giant lecture halls). Online isn't as bad as you think.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in an online program right now and I can say I would be just as comfortable having my profs through there give me LoRs as my in person classes. Actually, I think I'd like it better because even though we're only in month two I feel like I have formed tighter bondes with my online profs than my in person CSD profs (which, admittedly, were giant lecture halls). Online isn't as bad as you think.

That's great!

I actually submitted my application on Sunday. :) Now I just have to get my transcripts there. Unfortunately, everything was shut down due to snow but I will try again tomorrow.

I'm really excited to hear so many good things about Utah State's online coursework. I have a BA in Spanish and an AAS in SLPA. Although I am seriously hoping to be admitted to Arizona State's 3-year leveling program, I'm not super hopeful that I will be admitted. SO, I've enrolled in Utah State's post-bac as my backup plan. :) (haven't started any courses yet, though.)

• 9 months later...

I'm really excited to hear so many good things about Utah State's online coursework. I have a BA in Spanish and an AAS in SLPA. Although I am seriously hoping to be admitted to Arizona State's 3-year leveling program, I'm not super hopeful that I will be admitted. SO, I've enrolled in Utah State's post-bac as my backup plan. :) (haven't started any courses yet, though.)

Great! Any updates? I'm finishing up my 2nd semester of USU online bach program.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if anyone will respond to this.  I have my Bachelor degree in Sociology/Human Services and minor in Spanish, but haven't been working in the field since 2007 due to many many reasons.  Too many to list here.  I am going to get associates in SLPA because that will get me a better paying job to afford graduate school or hoping that it will.  Right now I don't make enough at all to afford it.  SLPA job would be more realistic.  My goal was to work part time as SLPA and go to grad school, if I can find a way to finance the grad school that is.  I wouldn't want to work full time and do grad school.  That would be a failure I'm pretty sure.  

Are you all against me doing SLPA then do pre-requisites to get into Masters of SLP? I'm starting SLPA program in the fall.  

If I get associates in SLPA, what are my options if I have a BA in Sociology/Human services? 

Thank you to all who reply.  

I understand your concerns about the expenses of graduate studies. By any chance do you speak Spanish? If you do, there are many bilingual programs (like Texas Christian University) that offer funding in the form of scholarships, GA/TA-ships. They are very very generous espcially Texas schools. It might be something to check out.

Edited by ImHis