BA in psych, wanting to do SLP. Advice/guidance needed...

I understand your concerns about the expenses of graduate studies. By any chance do you speak Spanish? If you do, there are many bilingual programs (like Texas Christian University) that offer funding in the form of scholarships, GA/TA-ships. They are very very generous espcially Texas schools. It might be something to check out.

I do speak Spanish, but it's kind of lacking.  I taught ESL as a tutor for almost 2 years.  My current job we get some calls where people speak Spanish and I can usually get by, but sometimes people (who speak spanish) have a hard time understanding me.  I would say I am not fluent in spanish by any means.  I can have a basic conversation though, like what is your name and phone number and address.  Grad school am looking at online program in WI, I'm in IL.  

Not sure if anyone will respond to this. I have my Bachelor degree in Sociology/Human Services and minor in Spanish, but haven't been working in the field since 2007 due to many many reasons. Too many to list here. I am going to get associates in SLPA because that will get me a better paying job to afford graduate school or hoping that it will. Right now I don't make enough at all to afford it. SLPA job would be more realistic. My goal was to work part time as SLPA and go to grad school, if I can find a way to finance the grad school that is. I wouldn't want to work full time and do grad school. That would be a failure I'm pretty sure.

Are you all against me doing SLPA then do pre-requisites to get into Masters of SLP? I'm starting SLPA program in the fall.

If I get associates in SLPA, what are my options if I have a BA in Sociology/Human services?

Thank you to all who reply.

There is a lot to think about when your end game is speech! I was in the same boat as you when I left my full time job to pursue speech. I decided to go for the postbac because my ultimate goal was to become an SLP and I didn't want to spend the extra money on an associates. I heard jobs for SLPA are not the easiest to get (probably dependent on the need in your area). I was also taking into consideration the $ I would be losing by postponing my future SLP career (estimated about 15-20 grand/year). That meant I will probably be able to pay off my grad loans in 2-3 years with that extra money. That made it all worth it for me to pursue my postbac asap! During my postbac I worked as an ABA therapist and was a nanny. I may try to continue this part time with grad school since the scheduling is very flexible. Hope this helps and good luck!

You are so right! Well I am very unhappy in my dispatcher job, so that's another reason I need my SLPA.  Plus if I don't get into grad school, I can always have my SLPA.  For me, associates online degree is cheaper than Post-Bac.  In IL where I live, there are above average job opportunities as SLPA which is good.  The thing for me is I don't want to waste time by being waitlisted or denied so many times and not have a speech type job to fall back on.  If push comes to shove, I might have to work as SLPA for a few years to save money for it and to get experience.  See, you have the luxury of being able to get a loan.  That's the difference.  I do not.  My bachelor degree loan is still in deferment.  Obama is working on forgiving all past student loans for those who want a new degree, but it's not finalized yet.  That would SO help me right now.  What is ABA therapist? You got accepted to three colleges, wow that is great.  What do you think were your steps to a successful acceptance into a grad school?

I am planning to work part time during grad school, as SLPA.  For me, I did do Special Olympics once in high school, I worked with foster teenagers preparing for adulthood after I got my BA in Soc/HS.  I also tutored ESL for adult spanish speaker student for almost 2 years.  I am done volunteering.  I start SLPA program in the fall, and working full time so I won't have any time for that.  I would like to go back to tutoring ESL after I become a SLP(if that is).  I'm wondering if I should include a variety of practicum sites during my SLPA internship though which might help grad school acceptance, such as working with kids one place, and adults another.  I also plan to take two part time SLPA jobs one with kids and one with adults after I get my SLPA.  My daughter will be 16 when I get my SLPA, and we might relocate to another area after she turns 18, if I can't find something in IL but it looks like there are lots of opportunities in IL according to the national statistics.

Thank you for your input.  :mellow:  I wish they had a Facebook group or something where people who got accepted into SLP grad school gave advice to those trying to get in.  I am seeing horror stories of people not getting accepted after doing everything they could to get in. 

You are so right! Well I am very unhappy in my dispatcher job, so that's another reason I need my SLPA. Plus if I don't get into grad school, I can always have my SLPA. For me, associates online degree is cheaper than Post-Bac. In IL where I live, there are above average job opportunities as SLPA which is good. The thing for me is I don't want to waste time by being waitlisted or denied so many times and not have a speech type job to fall back on. If push comes to shove, I might have to work as SLPA for a few years to save money for it and to get experience. See, you have the luxury of being able to get a loan. That's the difference. I do not. My bachelor degree loan is still in deferment. Obama is working on forgiving all past student loans for those who want a new degree, but it's not finalized yet. That would SO help me right now. What is ABA therapist? You got accepted to three colleges, wow that is great. What do you think were your steps to a successful acceptance into a grad school?

I am planning to work part time during grad school, as SLPA. For me, I did do Special Olympics once in high school, I worked with foster teenagers preparing for adulthood after I got my BA in Soc/HS. I also tutored ESL for adult spanish speaker student for almost 2 years. I am done volunteering. I start SLPA program in the fall, and working full time so I won't have any time for that. I would like to go back to tutoring ESL after I become a SLP(if that is). I'm wondering if I should include a variety of practicum sites during my SLPA internship though which might help grad school acceptance, such as working with kids one place, and adults another. I also plan to take two part time SLPA jobs one with kids and one with adults after I get my SLPA. My daughter will be 16 when I get my SLPA, and we might relocate to another area after she turns 18, if I can't find something in IL but it looks like there are lots of opportunities in IL according to the national statistics.

Thank you for your input. :mellow: I wish they had a Facebook group or something where people who got accepted into SLP grad school gave advice to those trying to get in. I am seeing horror stories of people not getting accepted after doing everything they could to get in.

You can't let the stories of others discourage you! While it is a real possibility, the only thing you have control over is what you do. I got to know my professors in my postbac classes and I busted my butt studying for those classes. I got several professors to write LORs for me and I think their personal touch from knowing me really helped.

ABA therapy stands for applied behavioral analysis therapy. I work one on one at an early intervention center for children with autism and I also do in home sessions. I love the job and the kids and it has made me interested in specializing in autism. Requirements to be an ABA therapist vary by state so you would have to look it up, but in NJ you just need a Bachelor's in a relevant field and many centers will provide training.

Best of luck to you and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can!

I'm not going to, but it's nice to get some encouragement once in awhile.  I am still going to do all that I can to get in, but it appears overwhelming to see all the negativity around it.  So what does LOR mean anyway? Should I have my SLPA professors write some LOR for me also? Or is this the pre-requisites professors that write these? 

I almost forgot.  During college while getting my BA in Soc/HS, I was a lead therapist working for autism children.  I quit because I couldn't have two jobs and go to college, plus my supervisor wasn't very helpful at all.  Would this be helpful for grad school application? I think I was there 6 months.  I also volunteered during high school my junior and senior year, I took an autistic boy and girl to lunch everyday and made sure that no one harassed them, but a special ed teacher went with me.  I also worked in the mental health field with adults though for 4 years total one with aggressive teens(1 year) and adults in group home for 3 years.  It got to be too much for many reasons.  I took some healthcare classes at my community college, but then economy got bad and now am finally more financially secure.  Do you work with violent children as ABA? You said behavioral analysis, but not sure what you mean by that.  I would definitely not do well in a violent atmosphere.  When I say that, I don't mean autism.  I mean the emotionally disturbed, but there's probably a different term for that now, but that's what it was called when I was in high school.  I also have a lot of personal experience, because I was in speech and language my whole life until I was 19.  My step-daughter also had major speech and language issues until she was 9 or 10.  When she was 3-6 it was the worst you couldn't understand her.  She has graduated out of it and she's 13 now.  She's still in special ed, but not S&L.  I've always found it fascinating, but never really thought about doing it until now.  I am super motivated and I do not want to work where I am right now for the rest of my life, and if I do, I will go crazy lol I think you get the point.  :)

So what are some steps you took to get accepted so many places? Any advice?  Thank you again!

You can't let the stories of others discourage you! While it is a real possibility, the only thing you have control over is what you do. I got to know my professors in my postbac classes and I busted my butt studying for those classes. I got several professors to write LORs for me and I think their personal touch from knowing me really helped.

ABA therapy stands for applied behavioral analysis therapy. I work one on one at an early intervention center for children with autism and I also do in home sessions. I love the job and the kids and it has made me interested in specializing in autism. Requirements to be an ABA therapist vary by state so you would have to look it up, but in NJ you just need a Bachelor's in a relevant field and many centers will provide training.

Best of luck to you and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can!

Be forewarned that the entry-level ABA jobs don't pay very well. The going rate in my area is $15-$18/hr. without benefits or a guaranteed number of hours per week. If you get your master's (many agencies have tuition reimbursement programs) and board certification, the supervisory positions are decent-paying.

ABA work is hard because the interventionist is often trying to get the autistic child to do something he/she doesn't want or trying to stop him/her from engaging in a preferred-but-nonfunctional behavior. My autistic child can be very sweet and fun to work with on a good day but on a bad day, she can tantrum for the majority of the 3.5 hour session.

Some autistic kids can be physically aggressive at times but what I've witnessed at my daughter's ABA center is mostly toddlerish behavior (pinching, biting, kicking, etc.) even if the kids are chronologically older than toddlers. The employees aren't in any real danger of harm from the kids (I would have to double-check the agreement I signed but I'm pretty sure that would be grounds to discharge the client).

Yes I know I have worked with autism before.  It has always been interesting to learn about it.  I was referring to violent children that isn't autism related, but more behavioral/environmental, not a developmental disorder.  I looked up ABA and you need a Master's degree in my state.  Good try though, and that is not low pay in my opinion.  I am getting low pay compared to that.  SLPA average hourly rate is about 16-25/hr.  16-18/hr is by no means low pay in my opinion.  

I will stick with SLPA job after I get my degree, and stay with my current job.  I so can't wait to get out of this job though. 

Thank you.

I'm sorry aba is not an option for you, but sounds like SLPA is a great option for you. I'm not sure on what actually helped me get into schools but I can tell you what I think helped.

I studied a lot for my classes, sat in the front of the class to make sure I was paying attention, and I participated often. I think getting to know the professors was a great help because many could be on the admissions board at the school and they can write great letters of recommendation (LOR).

Looked for good observation/volunteer opportunities and opportunities to work with professors outside of class.

Found a relevant job (ABA).

Joined and participated in a relevant club.

Studied for my GRE. I knew my vocab was weak so I really tried to improve upon it. I used GRE books from the library and also signed up for an online resource call magoosh.

Lastly I worked a lot on my application essays. Many of my essay questions were different so I couldn't reuse one essay. I wrote and rewrote each essay probably 10 times. I had a notebook listing ideas of what to write in each essay and outlines of how to make it flow. The essay is Botha writing sample and a chance to get your story across. Make sure it is unique and makes you stand out.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I speak mandarin and am sufficient in ASL.

Yes I know I have worked with autism before.  It has always been interesting to learn about it.  I was referring to violent children that isn't autism related, but more behavioral/environmental, not a developmental disorder.  I looked up ABA and you need a Master's degree in my state.  Good try though, and that is not low pay in my opinion.  I am getting low pay compared to that.  SLPA average hourly rate is about 16-25/hr.  16-18/hr is by no means low pay in my opinion. 

As with everything, pay ranges are going to vary by region. SLPA's in my neck of the woods make $20-$30/hr plus they typically receive benefits and a guaranteed work schedule, unlike ABA interventionists.

The minimum wage in my state is $10/hr. so $15/hr. is comparatively low. It's less than the going rate for babysitters.

Edited by Crimson Wife

As with everything, pay ranges are going to vary by region. SLPA's in my neck of the woods make $20-$30/hr plus they typically receive benefits and a guaranteed work schedule, unlike ABA interventionists.

The minimum wage in my state is $10/hr. so $15/hr. is comparatively low. It's less than the going rate for babysitters.

I'm my area, aba therapists make $18-$25/hr. Minimum wage is just above 8 so it's definately not bad. I'm in a different position since I don't need benefits through my job and I need a job that offers a very flexible schedule to accommodate my other jobs, classes, and activities.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.  I will be taking the online SLPA program, so won't be able to physically be in the class, but your ideas have been helpful.  When I was in college, I tried to participate often and sat in the front as well.  I studied as much as I could.  I have a few requests to look at the Idiot's Guide to GRE, and a GRE study guide at the library.  After I asked about the LOR, I realized what it was.  Duh me.  I have too much in my brain.  Question on that.  My previous professor/advisor/friend could do a LOR for me when I was in college in 2001, but that's probably outdated, and it would probably be best to not use that, right? I got my Bachelor's Degree in 2001.  

So you have to write essays in the GRE or you have to do an essay ahead of time? Also does GRE have all subjects you have to answer questions to? I will find out when I get the GRE guide but until then, maybe you can give me the scoop? This program is called magoosh? Is it free? 

I will definitely be getting certified in sign language, and the online college I'm going to has a sign language class I can take, I don't speak Mandarin, but I speak Spanish.  Hopefully that will help.

I'm sorry aba is not an option for you, but sounds like SLPA is a great option for you. I'm not sure on what actually helped me get into schools but I can tell you what I think helped.

I studied a lot for my classes, sat in the front of the class to make sure I was paying attention, and I participated often. I think getting to know the professors was a great help because many could be on the admissions board at the school and they can write great letters of recommendation (LOR).
Looked for good observation/volunteer opportunities and opportunities to work with professors outside of class.
Found a relevant job (ABA).
Joined and participated in a relevant club.
Studied for my GRE. I knew my vocab was weak so I really tried to improve upon it. I used GRE books from the library and also signed up for an online resource call magoosh.
Lastly I worked a lot on my application essays. Many of my essay questions were different so I couldn't reuse one essay. I wrote and rewrote each essay probably 10 times. I had a notebook listing ideas of what to write in each essay and outlines of how to make it flow. The essay is Botha writing sample and a chance to get your story across. Make sure it is unique and makes you stand out.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but I speak mandarin and am sufficient in ASL.

But you live in CA right? 20-30 makes sense, since CA has a high cost of living.  I am hoping to get benefits and a guaranteed work schedule.  

Minimum wage in IL is 8.50/hr.  They proposed a 10/hr minimum wage but the governor vetoed it.

Magoosh is 80-100 bucks. I thought it was pretty good, but take a full length practice test on the ETS website (free) to see where you stand. If money is tight and you don't need to improve math so much, just get the free Magoosh GRE vocabulary app. I learned SO MANY WORDS!! And they were spot on with what was tested. The writing is done during the test. It's not as much about knowledge as writing as much as you can and backing up a thesis with plausible examples. There's a list of potential topics on the ETS site. Good luck!!

Cool! That's expensive, but the free option sounds great.  So the GRE gives you a topic and you write an essay based on plausible examples, etc.  Or do you choose the topic? What is ETS? Thank you so much for your help.

Magoosh is 80-100 bucks. I thought it was pretty good, but take a full length practice test on the ETS website (free) to see where you stand. If money is tight and you don't need to improve math so much, just get the free Magoosh GRE vocabulary app. I learned SO MANY WORDS!! And they were spot on with what was tested. The writing is done during the test. It's not as much about knowledge as writing as much as you can and backing up a thesis with plausible examples. There's a list of potential topics on the ETS site. Good luck!!

Cool! That's expensive, but the free option sounds great.  So the GRE gives you a topic and you write an essay based on plausible examples, etc.  Or do you choose the topic? What is ETS? Thank you so much for your help.

Maybe the other poster is referring to this: (?)

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/

There might be some free practice items or something. You can google "free practice GRE" and you should come up with a handful of free items from Magoosh, Princeton Review etc that might be helpful. I took a random GRE mini-practice test that popped up on Facebook recently for Verbal and Quantitative. Even though I scored high, I'm still going to study like crazy and buy some of the prep courses. I only want to have to take the exam once, lol! Plus the sheer length (4 hours!!!) is enough to make me study really hard so I don't have to sweat the time limits.

The essays are pre-determined and you only have 30 minutes, so you have to be able to organize and write well with a very limited amount of time. A friend of mine had an essay that was something like: Which is a better quality to have - loyalty or honor - and why?

Another poster here on grad cafe mentioned that her essay had to do with whether or not a potato chip company should change the material they use to make the bag, or something along those lines, lol! I guess they are judging how well you think on your feet!

Cool! That's expensive, but the free option sounds great. So the GRE gives you a topic and you write an essay based on plausible examples, etc. Or do you choose the topic? What is ETS? Thank you so much for your help.

ETS = educational testing service. The people who make the GRE.

Edited by Chandru1

I actually am working on the GRE practice test since last night, you can save and come back to it.  Essay part and reading I'm not worried about.  The math is killing me, because it has advanced geometry which I haven't taken and possibly trig? I took advanced algebra and geometry.  I aced my Geometry college class, but this is complex.  The vocabulary is way out of my knowledge range.  Is there someplace free you can study up and memorize these long complex vocab words? If so, that'd be great! I have my BA I know some big words but not these lol 

Whoever gave me the EDS site, I thank you though, it's great to know I can practice.  I ordered a few GRE prep books at my library too.  I am afraid to see my practice testing score lol 

Maybe the other poster is referring to this: (?)

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/

There might be some free practice items or something. You can google "free practice GRE" and you should come up with a handful of free items from Magoosh, Princeton Review etc that might be helpful. I took a random GRE mini-practice test that popped up on Facebook recently for Verbal and Quantitative. Even though I scored high, I'm still going to study like crazy and buy some of the prep courses. I only want to have to take the exam once, lol! Plus the sheer length (4 hours!!!) is enough to make me study really hard so I don't have to sweat the time limits.

The essays are pre-determined and you only have 30 minutes, so you have to be able to organize and write well with a very limited amount of time. A friend of mine had an essay that was something like: Which is a better quality to have - loyalty or honor - and why?
Another poster here on grad cafe mentioned that her essay had to do with whether or not a potato chip company should change the material they use to make the bag, or something along those lines, lol! I guess they are judging how well you think on your feet!

Studying Latin & Greek roots really helped me improve my vocabulary. If you know the roots that will give you a clue as to the general gist of it even if you don't know the specific meaning. For example, one Latin root that is particularly relevant to us as future SLP's is "audi". Any time you see that as part of a word, you know it has something to do with hearing.

English from the Roots Up has flashcards that are good for memorizing the roots: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Spelling%2FVocabulary&category=English+From+the+Roots+Up

I haven't retaken the GRE yet but back in the day I got a 750 on my SAT-V and a 720 on my (sadly expired) GRE-V. That would be the equivalent of a 168 on the new scale.

Hi everyone,

First - this forum has been a great resource! Thank you all for the informative threads.

I have my Bachelor's in psychology and I am interested in doing a Master's program for SLP.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.7

GRE: Verbal: 161, Quant: 156, AW: 5.0

I have 3+ years of research experience in psychology, with many (~20) poster presentations (regionally/nationally). Possibly 1-2 pubs in progress that may be in press by the time I apply. Again, this is all irrelevant to SLP though it is with pediatrics.

I don't have any of my pre-reqs for SLP. I have my math, physical science, stats, and AP credit for my bio science that my undergrad university gave me credit for (zoology). Does anyone know if that is okay?

My next plan is to start observing SLPs. How many hours should I aim for? Also, do I build enough rapport/professional relationships to get a LOR? I plan on getting 2 LORs from my psych mentors, I imagine they would be fairy strong. I work full-time, so it will be tricky. I will also have to quit most of my psych research (while still hoping they can write my LORs in the fall).

Are there any schools that are more friendly to out-of-field applications? I'm still researching schools, but please let me know if any sound like they may be a good fit for me.

Any thoughts? Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, you're going to find that your scores more than qualify you. SLP is close enough to an undergrad psychology degree, that the cross over should be less daunting than you might think. What you're going to find that is that your statement of purpose, life experience, and letters of recommendation are key. 

I would suggest doing a semester worth of practicum/internship with a company (if possible), and working for a few months with your preferred clientele. This will give you in the field letter of recommendation. Do not knock the academic ones though. Did any of your research cross over into the SLP world? If not, many see if you can organize an independent research study. With your experience, you'll probably be more than capable of it. It will also give you an academic letter of recommendation in the field your passionate about. 

Lastly, a lot of people are talking about online. I suggest calling around to company HR departments and checking if they hire people from online degree programs. At one of my jobs, if they see online credentials, the application is put in the trash. Now, my job is not SLP, but direct care with mental illness, developmental disabilities and traumatic brain injury. So, for yourself, call around and see what options are open to you. Online may be an Achilles's heel, and better to know before you start the program. 

Thanks for the input.  I am doing flash cards of the GRE word list document I found, and I got the Idiot's Guide to the GRE at the library which has more vocabulary.   can't believe some of these words are actually words.  It makes me laugh lol 

Studying Latin & Greek roots really helped me improve my vocabulary. If you know the roots that will give you a clue as to the general gist of it even if you don't know the specific meaning. For example, one Latin root that is particularly relevant to us as future SLP's is "audi". Any time you see that as part of a word, you know it has something to do with hearing.

English from the Roots Up has flashcards that are good for memorizing the roots: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=Spelling%2FVocabulary&category=English+From+the+Roots+Up

I haven't retaken the GRE yet but back in the day I got a 750 on my SAT-V and a 720 on my (sadly expired) GRE-V. That would be the equivalent of a 168 on the new scale.

Honestly, you're going to find that your scores more than qualify you. SLP is close enough to an undergrad psychology degree, that the cross over should be less daunting than you might think. What you're going to find that is that your statement of purpose, life experience, and letters of recommendation are key. 

I would suggest doing a semester worth of practicum/internship with a company (if possible), and working for a few months with your preferred clientele. This will give you in the field letter of recommendation. Do not knock the academic ones though. Did any of your research cross over into the SLP world? If not, many see if you can organize an independent research study. With your experience, you'll probably be more than capable of it. It will also give you an academic letter of recommendation in the field your passionate about. 

Lastly, a lot of people are talking about online. I suggest calling around to company HR departments and checking if they hire people from online degree programs. At one of my jobs, if they see online credentials, the application is put in the trash. Now, my job is not SLP, but direct care with mental illness, developmental disabilities and traumatic brain injury. So, for yourself, call around and see what options are open to you. Online may be an Achilles's heel, and better to know before you start the program. 

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess I should update this.

I got into my top choice! I finished my second bachelor's degree using USU's distance learning program. There's a difference between an "online school" vs. a real school (i.e., a non-profit, accredited school) that offers online options. In other words, U of Phoenix may be trashed, but I don't think a state school would be. 

I just realized while looking at the GRE Idiot guide that I needed calculus.  I found an online calculus class through Ohio state university and it's self-paced, the textbook is a downloaded pdf file and homework is from the book and interactive online, and there are forums for teachers to answer your questions.  Definitely recommend it for anyone struggling with the math on GRE. 

I just realized while looking at the GRE Idiot guide that I needed calculus.  I found an online calculus class through Ohio state university and it's self-paced, the textbook is a downloaded pdf file and homework is from the book and interactive online, and there are forums for teachers to answer your questions.  Definitely recommend it for anyone struggling with the math on GRE. 

The GRE general test doesn't have calculus per the ETS.

Were you perhaps looking at the subject test?

"The content in these areas includes high school mathematics and statistics at a level that is generally no higher than a second course in algebra; it does not include trigonometry, calculus or other higher-level mathematics.'

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/quantitative_reasoning/

Edited by Crimson Wife