Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

I'm using this thread only to confirm notifications:

Can anyone confirm receipt of a rejection from

Yale?

Northwestern?

Can anyone confirm receipt of a wait-list notification from

Wisconsin Madison?

Indiana Bloomington (Philosophy PhD only)?

Edited by ianfaircloud

I wonder why we haven't heard from UCR/UCSD/Madison with official rejections. 

Good question.  I think some of these are just very slow about sending rejections.  I'm assuming that, if you haven't heard from UCSD, you're out.  But Madison is still a possibility.  They send wait-lists sometimes much later than initial acceptances.

Hearing a rejection after not hearing anything thus far is surprisingly much more exciting than imagined.

Isn't that truth??  You're not the first to say this.  I sort of agree.  There's a great episode of Star Trek:TNG ("The Hunted") in which a prisoner who escaped from an isolated penal colony tells the governing officials, "Destroy us. Do what you have to. But you will not ignore us."  Love that line.

I guess I'll just announce my assumed rejections to U Arizona, U Chicago (Philosophy), and Loyola University Chicago. I have yet to receive any kind of email from all three, so I'll just assume I've been rejected.

Sadly, I think you're right to believe this.  U Chicago doesn't do wait-list notifications typically.  U Arizona already sent wait-list notifications.  I don't know much about Loyola Chicago.

Sadly, I think you're right to believe this.  U Chicago doesn't do wait-list notifications typically.  U Arizona already sent wait-list notifications.  I don't know much about Loyola Chicago.

At this point I'm banking on Social Thought, which won't be sending out notifications until the end of the month. 

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I think it's odd that so few people have posted acceptances to Chicago. Only three acceptances have been recorded here. Does anyone know if there are more on Who-Got-In?

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I don't think I'm being crazy for saying that if one isn't accepted, and one isn't waitlisted...then one is rejected and given that we spend a hundred dollars per application, I think we have at least bought the right to know what our status is as soon as it is determined. If they haven't decided yet then of course that's fine, but if there is a pile of rejected applications with no chance of waitlist just sitting somewhere but the school just refuses to notify the applicants, that seems like a textbook example of disrespect. And we know this is probably true, since so many applicants inquire about their status and receive it by email, before the notices go out. And we know some schools don't even let rejections know before April 15. I just think they should let us know as soon as they know, and an increase in status requests will likely speed up the process, which is good for everyone. Of course, any such emails would be as courteous and respectful as possible.

I'll make an optimistic conjecture here, in regards to ^^^^ the above post: If several rejections go out, and you are not one of them, yet you have not been informed of acceptance or wait-list, you might take it as a sign that your POI or POI(s) have been engaged in vehement arguments for your admission. This may leave you in an uncomfortable purgatory for a couple weeks, but the end results could be huge. I know people who were accepted with no prior word as late as the middle of May. Sucks to wait that long, but it is what it is. Although persistent silence could mean that you are in that pile they forgot to notify of rejection, I tend to want to believe that the deeper we get in this process, the better the chance is that you are giving the dept. something to think about.. and maybe, just maybe, you'll have some good news in your future. 

Again, I have taken an incredibly sober and 'realist' approach to this whole process after being rejected by a few places and honestly, it has given me a bit more hope than I had before, and it makes for much less stressful days 

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

I don't think I'm being crazy for saying that if one isn't accepted, and one isn't waitlisted...then one is rejected and given that we spend a hundred dollars per application, I think we have at least bought the right to know what our status is as soon as it is determined. If they haven't decided yet then of course that's fine, but if there is a pile of rejected applications with no chance of waitlist just sitting somewhere but the school just refuses to notify the applicants, that seems like a textbook example of disrespect. And we know this is probably true, since so many applicants inquire about their status and receive it by email, before the notices go out. And we know some schools don't even let rejections know before April 15. I just think they should let us know as soon as they know, and an increase in status requests will likely speed up the process, which is good for everyone. Of course, any such emails would be as courteous and respectful as possible.

In what possible world would a deluge of emails *speed* up the process? 

Imagine that a philosophy department in which everyone is already exhausted and overworked is now getting 20+ emails a day from precious little snowflakes demanding to know the status of their application, even though the deadline is two months away.

If you think about it, it probably takes more time to process rejections. Someone has to go through and enter in all of that information into a computer, so that they can send out a mass email to what is a very large list. So, someone has to match files to names, and then if you want them to say anything kind or specific, then they need even more information: "we received x applications for y spots, competition was fierce, etc. etc."

It’s both easier and more important to take care of admissions first, because they need to arrange for prospective flyouts, which is a lot of work. It makes sense that they would then turn to entering rejections into the system. Now some schools are able to do that relatively quickly. Some departments are constituted such that they can send out early rejections--others aren't, and there's a lot of possible reasons why. Schools differ with respect to teaching loads, the number of professors available to do service work, number of support staff, number of applications to sift through, and the bureaucratic hoops they have to jump through to make an official offer or rejection, among many other things.

In other words, be more charitable. They're not being disrespectful.

"precious little snowflakes"

I just think we have fundamentally different attitudes about how serious this process is for the applicants. This is their future and will chart the course for their whole life, and each application costs in excess of 100 dollars. Applicants deserve respect and a timely response, and I didn't expect that in a forum full of applicants, such a statement would be received with such dismissive condescension. But whatever. I'm not going to have an argument on here lol. I'll leave further departures from mainstream attitudes to dfindley.

In what possible world would a deluge of emails *speed* up the process? 

Imagine that a philosophy department in which everyone is already exhausted and overworked is now getting 20+ emails a day from precious little snowflakes demanding to know the status of their application, even though the deadline is two months away.

If you think about it, it probably takes more time to process rejections. Someone has to go through and enter in all of that information into a computer, so that they can send out a mass email to what is a very large list. So, someone has to match files to names, and then if you want them to say anything kind or specific, then they need even more information: "we received x applications for y spots, competition was fierce, etc. etc."

It’s both easier and more important to take care of admissions first, because they need to arrange for prospective flyouts, which is a lot of work. It makes sense that they would then turn to entering rejections into the system. Now some schools are able to do that relatively quickly. Some departments are constituted such that they can send out early rejections--others aren't, and there's a lot of possible reasons why. Schools differ with respect to teaching loads, the number of professors available to do service work, number of support staff, number of applications to sift through, and the bureaucratic hoops they have to jump through to make an official offer or rejection, among many other things.

In other words, be more charitable. They're not being disrespectful.

I think you're exactly right! People here need to calm down, there is a lot of time left before emailing departments seem appropriate. We all just need to bunker down and start waiting it out and acting like adults in this situation, and not get angry at departments for not kneeling to our every whim and fancy. 

Good question.  I think some of these are just very slow about sending rejections.  I'm assuming that, if you haven't heard from UCSD, you're out.  But Madison is still a possibility.  They send wait-lists sometimes much later than initial acceptances.

I agree with you about UCSD and Madison.

What do you (and others) think about Berkeley? Your blog indicates that acceptances and wait lists have gone out. If someone hasn't received any word at all, should (s)he assume rejection just as (s)he should assume rejection in the UCSD case?

Edited by DHumeDominates

I agree with you about UCSD and Madison.

What do you (and others) think about Berkeley? Your blog indicates that acceptances and wait lists have gone out. If someone hasn't received any word at all, should (s)he assume rejection just as (s)he should assume rejection in the UCSD case?

First of all, mega congrats are due on the Yale wait list. I'm very jealous. 

I think no news from Berkeley is bad news. I assume rejection. Sorry, folks. I would have loved to be there, too.