Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

Yes on both counts. This professor is probably the most influential one in the department. And yes, my school makes unfunded offers.

You want an unfunded offer?

Jesus. If I had so much money that I could throw away an extra 300,000ish dollars, I wouldn't be throwing it at a philosophy department.

Sorry, but I am wondering how one could pursue a 5-year PhD without financial support? It is going to be a lot of money that one cannot earn by working part-time like a dog. I cannot get it.

The only explanation I can imagine is pure stubbornness.

Sorry, but I am wondering how one could pursue a 5-year PhD without financial support? It is going to be a lot of money that one cannot earn by working part-time like a dog. I cannot get it.

The only explanation I can imagine is pure stubbornness.

Because wild speculation about others' personal situations is awesome, right guys?

Edited by perpetualapplicant

Because wild speculation about others' personal situations is awesome, right guys?

Oh, so sorry. I did not mean to offend logos or anybody. By that remark, I really meant to say that it is ridiculous that the program does not offer funding for the incoming PhD students. They should know it is extremely difficult for one to pursue a PhD while working hard to earn money to have the costs covered. I think it is fair to fund every PhD student they decide to take. If my previous post sounds inappropriate, I really apologize. Thanks for your understanding. Sincerely hope logos will get into his hoped-for program with funding.

Edit: I am so bad at not posting things that accurately state what I want to say -- I need a language training. I am so stupid sometimes :( . I will be more cautious when posting. 

Edited by Platonist

Oh, so sorry. I did not mean to offend logos or anybody. By that remark, I really meant to say that it is ridiculous that the program does not offer funding for the incoming PhD students. They should know it is extremely difficult for one to pursue a PhD while working hard to earn money to have the costs covered. I think it is fair to fund every PhD student they decide to take. Iif my previous post sounds inappropriate, I really apologize. Thanks for your understanding. 

All good--we all come across the wrong way sometimes (at least I know I do!), and it's cool that you took responsibility for it. Well-earned upvote! :)

I don't have much of an opinion on logos' situation, but it seems odd to me that one prof could just usurp the adcom's decision process this way... Even if it is the prof I think it probably is...

I don't have much of an opinion on logos' situation, but it seems odd to me that one prof could just usurp the adcom's decision process this way... Even if it is the prof I think it probably is...

Yes, it is a bit hard for a professor to unurp the adcom's decision. But logos has nothing to lose if he gives a try. It would be great if that professor says yes and talks to the chair or the adcom. But if that professor says it won't work because the decision has already been made and his speaking up will not help, then do not piss him off. Just say thank-you to him and you understand the nature of the situation. Best wishes to logos. Not everybody (surely not me) is lucky to have this chance. 

I had to email Columbia to receive my official rejection letter. It's a shame that their system didn't work. Nobody should have to go to extra double to get denied admission...! While I'm complaining, I think a few programs were way too late in sending admission decisions. Some that come to mind immediately: University of Michigan, UCLA, Brandeis, UMass Amherst, Florida State, Carnegie Mellon, and Ohio State. Why did it take so long for these programs either (in some cases) to send initial acceptances or (in other cases) to send rejections? UCLA is one the worst of these, in terms of timing.

Edited by ianfaircloud

I had to email Columbia to receive my official rejection letter. It's a shame that their system didn't work. Nobody should have to go to extra double to get denied admission...! While I'm complaining, I think a few programs were way too late in sending admission decisions. Some that come to mind immediately: University of Michigan, UCLA, Brandeis, UMass Amherst, Florida State, Carnegie Mellon, and Ohio State. Why did it take so long for these programs either (in some cases) to send initial acceptances or (in other cases) to send rejections? UCLA is one the worst of these, in terms of timing.

This implies that you have heard back from UCLA?

This implies that you have heard back from UCLA?

Sorry for the belated reply. Nope, I haven't heard from UCLA. I misspoke. Regarding UCLA, I should have said, "Why has it taken so long for UCLA . . . ?" I spoke with someone today about the situation at UCLA. Apparently UCLA de facto wait-lists everyone until April 15, at least according to this person. If that's true, then I think people should encourage UCLA to adopt a new policy. The point of a wait-list is to let people know whether they are serious contenders, so that they don't spend an entire spring term speculating on their futures!

Sorry for the belated reply. Nope, I haven't heard from UCLA. I misspoke. Regarding UCLA, I should have said, "Why has it taken so long for UCLA . . . ?" I spoke with someone today about the situation at UCLA. Apparently UCLA de facto wait-lists everyone until April 15, at least according to this person. If that's true, then I think people should encourage UCLA to adopt a new policy. The point of a wait-list is to let people know whether they are serious contenders, so that they don't spend an entire spring term speculating on their futures!

I hear Texas does something similar. Their reason for doing so is to avoid having to accept student's they've already rejected, which has happened a few times. One current PhD student was rejected initially and then, after Texas burned through their wait list, he was admitted.  

I hear Texas does something similar. Their reason for doing so is to avoid having to accept student's they've already rejected, which has happened a few times. One current PhD student was rejected initially and then, after Texas burned through their wait list, he was admitted.  

Whoooa that's crazy!! Glad you shared this information. Thanks!

Whoooa that's crazy!! Glad you shared this information. Thanks!

It was crazy! He applied to nearly 15 schools and was rejected by all but one. He was about to accepted that school's offer and then a prof from Texas called and accepted him---after being rejected. I know of two guys at UC Irvine who experienced something similar. 

Rejected from Texas. My first attempt at PhD applications is now coming to a close. Many factors made it a difficult and stressful one, but I'm grateful to have the offers I do. Now it's time to make a decision. I wish everyone here the best of luck. 

Finally got my rejection from UT as well. Hoping I get into GSU and have better luck the next go around.

This is the calm before the storm. In two years we will SLAY. You'll get into Chicago or Columbia or something, and I'll get into USC or Princeton or something. 

And people are going to be like "HOWD YOU DO IT" and we'll be like: 

YrFQMwA.gif

Ok seriously UCLA? REALLY?!?! It's April 2nd, and that means there are exactly 12 days before D-day (decision day, not invading Normandy). I have never wanted to hear a rejection so badly.

Am I the only one going insane over this? I emailed Normore asking if they were planning on making any more offers on March 21st and never got a reply. I just can't believe how disrespectful this is to everyone who spent the money and effort applying.