New York/New Jersey Area

I was only able to speak with Dr. Magaldi, who was very personable and honest in her responses to our questions. They did not offer a tour of the clinic on that day, which was a bit disappointing. Dr. Magaldi said that it was older and less updated than the clinics at Montclair and Kean. The information discussed during the session is all available on the website. I liked the area but would like to learn more about the school before choosing to commit to it if I am accepted. Additionally, Wayne is a beautiful town.

I currently attend Stockton College and can say that the faculty here is very knowledgeable and helpful. The clinic is also a great resource as an undergraduate student, located very close to campus, and with a large client base. Of course, if a school doesn't feel right, by no means should you go there. The most important thing is feeling comfortable with your school and environment!

Hmm yes if I am accepted to WPU I really would like to see the clinic, being as we are going to spend so much time there! The clinics at Kean and Montclair really wow-ed me, so I would definitely like to make a comparison.

But yes, I agree about schools feeling right. It was nothing personal against Stockton; it just didn't give me that same passionate feeling I felt about Kean and Montclair. 

I was only able to speak with Dr. Magaldi, who was very personable and honest in her responses to our questions. They did not offer a tour of the clinic on that day, which was a bit disappointing. Dr. Magaldi said that it was older and less updated than the clinics at Montclair and Kean. The information discussed during the session is all available on the website. I liked the area but would like to learn more about the school before choosing to commit to it if I am accepted. Additionally, Wayne is a beautiful town.

I currently attend Stockton College and can say that the faculty here is very knowledgeable and helpful. The clinic is also a great resource as an undergraduate student, located very close to campus, and with a large client base. Of course, if a school doesn't feel right, by no means should you go there. The most important thing is feeling comfortable with your school and environment!

I know that wasn't directed towards me but thank you for posting that information! I wasn't able to attend any of the graduate open houses since I'm currently doing my undergrad at the University of South Florida.

Do you guys have any information about Montclair or Seton Hall? I have friends who attend both school (I'm from NJ - just decided to do undergrad in Florida) but none are in the speech program.

I got an email from Montclair today saying my application was sent to the department for review. I'm happy that they got it!

Edited by flnjslp

Thank you for that information! I wasn't able to attend any of the graduate open houses since I'm currently doing my undergrad at the University of South Florida.

Do you guys have any information about Montclair or Seton Hall? I have friends who attend both school (I'm from NJ - just decided to do undergrad in Florida) but none are in the speech program.

I got an email from Montclair today saying my application was sent to the department for review. I'm happy that they got it!

I currently attend Rutgers University, so I cannot give you any first-hand information about the programs. I also did not apply to Seton Hall because I am applying from an undergraduate field other than Speech Pathology (Linguistics and Psychology), and they have a lot of required prerequisites to enter the program. 

What I can tell you is this: Montclair is my first choice school. It really is beautiful, and I believe the top speech program in NJ. The clinic is gorgeous, and it is located a little away from the regular campus. You spend most of your time there, so it's almost like you are in your own little speech world. The town is also very nice. A few of my friends attend the graduate program at Montclair, actually denied acceptances into NYU and Columbia to go there, and they say it was the best decision they have ever made in their lives. 

Thanks Arcanelady27!! Good luck on your interviews, hopefully the second time is a charm! :)

Daisynic - I had a difficult time with the Praxis waiver process as well. I sent the form from the Southern CT website to the CT Education Department, and they wrote me back not too long after saying my scores would fit the criteria, just send them an official score report. I tried doing this online via CT Ed department, and it turns out there is a glitch in the system and the GRE needed to be mailed to the people in Hartford. So, I got a candidate copy of the GRE sent to me, opened it, resent it to the CT Ed Dept and got an email from them about three days later with a .pdf form saying the Praxis was waved. I mailed and emailed this copy to Southern CT. I sent everything into SCSU way ahead of the deadline, and STILL recieved the 'You did not send your Praxis waiver form in letter'. Luckily the Communication Disorders department emailed me back stating it was a mix up and they had the form. I did verify with the school that your application would still be considered without the Praxis waiver, they would need it by like April or something. I think it has more to do with the graduate school/ state of CT then the CD program itself. So hopefully you can still get it in! Best of luck

Thanks Arcanelady27!! Good luck on your interviews, hopefully the second time is a charm! :)

Daisynic - I had a difficult time with the Praxis waiver process as well. I sent the form from the Southern CT website to the CT Education Department, and they wrote me back not too long after saying my scores would fit the criteria, just send them an official score report. I tried doing this online via CT Ed department, and it turns out there is a glitch in the system and the GRE needed to be mailed to the people in Hartford. So, I got a candidate copy of the GRE sent to me, opened it, resent it to the CT Ed Dept and got an email from them about three days later with a .pdf form saying the Praxis was waved. I mailed and emailed this copy to Southern CT. I sent everything into SCSU way ahead of the deadline, and STILL recieved the 'You did not send your Praxis waiver form in letter'. Luckily the Communication Disorders department emailed me back stating it was a mix up and they had the form. I did verify with the school that your application would still be considered without the Praxis waiver, they would need it by like April or something. I think it has more to do with the graduate school/ state of CT then the CD program itself. So hopefully you can still get it in! Best of luck

It's interestering to hear that you heard back about your waiver so quickly because I sent in the form from the SCSU website about a month ago and still have not heard anything! However, I was told by the speech department that you can be admitted to the program before the scores/waiver is in, but not the actual graduate school itself. It's so confusing, and it looks like I'll be making some calls tomorrow!

I currently attend Rutgers University, so I cannot give you any first-hand information about the programs. I also did not apply to Seton Hall because I am applying from an undergraduate field other than Speech Pathology (Linguistics and Psychology), and they have a lot of required prerequisites to enter the program. 

What I can tell you is this: Montclair is my first choice school. It really is beautiful, and I believe the top speech program in NJ. The clinic is gorgeous, and it is located a little away from the regular campus. You spend most of your time there, so it's almost like you are in your own little speech world. The town is also very nice. A few of my friends attend the graduate program at Montclair, actually denied acceptances into NYU and Columbia to go there, and they say it was the best decision they have ever made in their lives. 

Hey!  I've been eyeing this thread for a while and I'm happy to see mentions of Montclair as it's also one of my top choices.. I know you said it was your friends that decided MSU over NYU and Columbia, but do you know a little more about why they made that decision?  Montclair is wonderful, but it's kind of far from the other two schools even just in terms of name recognition.. I'm kind of curious as to why your friends chose Montclair, and what it is that they love about it now.. I feel like the student perspective is even more important than the official grad school info sometimes in really getting a sense of the program!

Hey!  I've been eyeing this thread for a while and I'm happy to see mentions of Montclair as it's also one of my top choices.. I know you said it was your friends that decided MSU over NYU and Columbia, but do you know a little more about why they made that decision?  Montclair is wonderful, but it's kind of far from the other two schools even just in terms of name recognition.. I'm kind of curious as to why your friends chose Montclair, and what it is that they love about it now.. I feel like the student perspective is even more important than the official grad school info sometimes in really getting a sense of the program!

Hi! Well, the main point they always make is how close knit the speech community is at Montclair. They say the professors really do care and are always there to help. That is not to say that is not the case at NYU or Columbia, but that is the main thing that makes them feel they made the right decision. It is also a matter of community; Montclair is not New York City. Depending on where you are used to living and the level of change you are ready to take on, that is an important factor. 

Lastly, and an important aspect for many people, is the money aspect. My friends and I all live in NJ, so Montclair is in-state tuition. Speech pathology programs are not like law schools or programs where school reputation matters all too much; all that matters is you graduate a program, and then pass the praxis and get your C's. So, when it comes down to it, it isn't really worth paying almost double in tuition to go to NYU or Columbia unless it is something that you are truly head-over-heels in love with.

Thank you! It's good to hear that about Montclair. They were my last choice because it looks like the program is longer than the others (is that true? or is the website lying to me?) but knowing that people are happy there has changed my mind!

Thank you! It's good to hear that about Montclair. They were my last choice because it looks like the program is longer than the others (is that true? or is the website lying to me?) but knowing that people are happy there has changed my mind!

Well, I am coming from an undergraduate degree that is not Speech Path or Comm Disorders, so anywhere I go will take around 2 1/2-3 years. I just noticed from your signature that this also applies to you too, so Montclair will take you around three years. But, if accepted and you decide to go there, they sit down with you and plan out your individual course plan for your time there, and they take into consideration your undergraduate classes and if any of them can count towards any requirements, therefore allowing you to not have to take that class. 

For me, the difference between 2 years or 3 years is not all too much, considering the grand scheme of things. I do understand that money may be a factor, but with your credentials I feel like you will definitely have assistantship offers :)

Well, I am coming from an undergraduate degree that is not Speech Path or Comm Disorders, so anywhere I go will take around 2 1/2-3 years. I just noticed from your signature that this also applies to you too, so Montclair will take you around three years. But, if accepted and you decide to go there, they sit down with you and plan out your individual course plan for your time there, and they take into consideration your undergraduate classes and if any of them can count towards any requirements, therefore allowing you to not have to take that class. 

For me, the difference between 2 years or 3 years is not all too much, considering the grand scheme of things. I do understand that money may be a factor, but with your credentials I feel like you will definitely have assistantship offers :)

Oh I'm sorry I am a CSD undergrad. I should have clarified (updating my signature now!)! It's great that they sit down with you and plan it out. That kind of individualized attention is definitely a plus for them. I feel much better about my decision to apply there :) Thanks!

That's true - in the grand scheme of things an extra year is no big deal. Awe, thank you! :) I am really hoping for an assistantship.

Hi! Well, the main point they always make is how close knit the speech community is at Montclair. They say the professors really do care and are always there to help. That is not to say that is not the case at NYU or Columbia, but that is the main thing that makes them feel they made the right decision. It is also a matter of community; Montclair is not New York City. Depending on where you are used to living and the level of change you are ready to take on, that is an important factor. 

Lastly, and an important aspect for many people, is the money aspect. My friends and I all live in NJ, so Montclair is in-state tuition. Speech pathology programs are not like law schools or programs where school reputation matters all too much; all that matters is you graduate a program, and then pass the praxis and get your C's. So, when it comes down to it, it isn't really worth paying almost double in tuition to go to NYU or Columbia unless it is something that you are truly head-over-heels in love with.

Ooh I see, thank you!  Having a good sense of community is actually one of the most important things to me in looking for a program so that's really nice to hear.  I've been thinking about the question of school reputation vs. finances a lot lately, but overall I think it is true that graduating from a solid program and passing the praxis is perfectly fine in this profession, and it's probably not worth taking on many (MANY) more thousands of dollars worth of debt just to have a more well-known name on my diploma if I'm highly likely to get a great SLP job in the end anyway.. Balancing the quality of the program against the cost is probably a better idea than balancing the name against the cost.

Oh I'm sorry I am a CSD undergrad. I should have clarified (updating my signature now!)! It's great that they sit down with you and plan it out. That kind of individualized attention is definitely a plus for them. I feel much better about my decision to apply there :) Thanks!

That's true - in the grand scheme of things an extra year is no big deal. Awe, thank you! :) I am really hoping for an assistantship.

You're welcome! I too am really hoping for an assistantship! Of course, I will be happy with acceptances at all, but assistantships really are so helpful both financially and with the experience it would give us!

Oh, another brief comment. I also see in your signature that you applied to a few other NJ schools. I have heard multiple times that Montclair is the best speech path program in the state. That being said, I am not sure who ranked them and what these rankings are based on. Also, one speech path program being "better" than another doesn't really matter as long as the program is accredited, but I figured since I already made you a bit more pro-Montclair it wouldn't hurt to tell you this too!

Ooh I see, thank you!  Having a good sense of community is actually one of the most important things to me in looking for a program so that's really nice to hear.  I've been thinking about the question of school reputation vs. finances a lot lately, but overall I think it is true that graduating from a solid program and passing the praxis is perfectly fine in this profession, and it's probably not worth taking on many (MANY) more thousands of dollars worth of debt just to have a more well-known name on my diploma if I'm highly likely to get a great SLP job in the end anyway.. Balancing the quality of the program against the cost is probably a better idea than balancing the name against the cost.

My take on it is this: speech language pathology is a profession that relies heavily on strong, interpersonal relationships. This is definitely something I see Montclair promoting.

I was actually a research assistant in two different research labs, and both of my advisors agree that though a nice school name is great and all, it truly does not matter as much as their graduate praxis pass rates and graduate employment rates. When comparing this way, all of the stats are similar for Montclair vs NYU, and school comparisons like that. The only difference is the difference of cost (thousands of dollars). Is a name worth 20,000 dollars more a year? For me, the answer is no. To others, it is, and that is fine too. 

Here is something that's kind of scaring me... Last year it looks like first rounds of admissions for NYU went out on March 1st. Do you think that would be the case this year even though its a Saturday or would they wait until Monday?? (Obviously freaking out!)

Well I'm assuming it'll probably be later? Our deadline was moved to feb 1st

The NYU deadline was moved to 2/1? I didn't know that! Unless you're talking about another school

You're welcome! I too am really hoping for an assistantship! Of course, I will be happy with acceptances at all, but assistantships really are so helpful both financially and with the experience it would give us!

Oh, another brief comment. I also see in your signature that you applied to a few other NJ schools. I have heard multiple times that Montclair is the best speech path program in the state. That being said, I am not sure who ranked them and what these rankings are based on. Also, one speech path program being "better" than another doesn't really matter as long as the program is accredited, but I figured since I already made you a bit more pro-Montclair it wouldn't hurt to tell you this too!

I agree with you - financially it would be excellent and I would love the experience!

Very true! As long as you have your CCCs it doesn't really matter where you went, unless you go for your PhD. That's my one problem with Seton Hall. I love their program. One of their research labs seems to be a perfect fit for me. But I don't know if I can justify the price when it really doesn't matter. But oh well, no use worrying about that now since I don't even know if I've been accepted anywhere yet! :)

I have seen CUNY acceptances/rejections on the results thread on this website.

This is easier said than done, but if you have not heard back yet, try not to worry. No response is better than a rejection, and I believe most schools send out their results in waves (to torture the applicants a bit more I think).

Exactly! I keep playing the same kinds of mind games with myself, but in all actuality all we can do is wait to see our results. Hopefully, we have a selection of a few acceptances, and then we can justify thinking about all these details :)

I received an email from Lehman stating my application is incomplete. I had confirmed a long time ago that that everything was received. 

I really do not understand. This is my second time applying to Lehman so why wouldn't they  have everything?

I received an email from Lehman stating my application is incomplete. I had confirmed a long time ago that that everything was received. 

I really do not understand. This is my second time applying to Lehman so why wouldn't they  have everything?

i got the same thing tonight! I emailed them back saying i checked my application and it says everything was submitted hopefully they get back to me tomorrow morning, if not i am going to call cause i know everything is in!

Some people have heard back from NYU today. Sadly, I have not :( But, it shouldn't be too long for us!

I think they may be in the process of sending e-mails now, as late as it is.