University of Arizona??

gradschool2013

I'm waiting to hear something from them as well.  There were a couple of unofficial acceptances on the results board - the one from last week mentioned that official results may not come for another 4-6 weeks.

Hi there, I'm the unofficial acceptance from last week. University of Arizona typically doesn't make decisions until March; they have a reputation for being really late. The email I received said that the program had submitted their recommendation for my admission to the Graduate College, but that "this correspondence is not a notification of admission. A complete Graduate College evaluation and review is required before your admission can be finalized. Once this process is complete and all requirements are met, you will be notified electronically of your formal admission. …Due to large volumes of recommended applicants, your official admission may take 4 to 6 weeks during the peak admissions cycle (January–May)."

No word on funding, or an admitted students weekend, or anything.

I don't know whether anyone else has had a similar email yet, or if they notify all of their recommended applicants with this email. Sorry if this isn't helpful!

Hey all,

I have some additional unofficial information to add. I'm an applicant to the Dual ANLI (Anthro & Ling) PhD program at Arizona. I was contacted about a week and a half - two weeks ago by the Linguistics department and told me that my admission to the dual program was very likely and I was invited to the Linguistics dept recruitment weekend. I was told that the Anthropology admissions committee hadn't had their final meeting yet, and my POI in Linguistics didn't know exactly when they would be having it. She could only tell me that Anthro did it considerably later than Lingusitics. So getting notified in March seems like a plausible scenario. 

In regards to an admitted students weekend: my POI in Linguistics said that the Anthro dept there doesn't have a formal recruitment weekend but that they allowed prospective students to come visit, essentially whenever they were able to schedule a time. I was being contacted because I would be in both departments and they wanted me to come to the Linguistics weekend if I could make it and visit Anthro on the side while I was there. 

I'm going to Tucson on Thursday for the Linguistics dept weekend so if I am able to get any information about the Anthro department while I'm there I'll try to pass it along. 

Edited by cotterw

my fellow Arizona applicants, i did some more stalking (yes, i know....but what can i do). So, i talked to someone at the department again and the gentleman told me that we will be finding out yes/no in the next 2 days as he is going through about  150 applications . The number admitted for archaeology ( i did not ask about the other sub fields i am sorry)  was actually 8 , and the application pool was over 200 people.....i have given up hope :(

Just as an FYI, I got an email tonight from Arizona saying that I had been recommended for admission for the dual Anth/Ling phd program. So I'd assume other notices should be going out soon. 

I believe it's technically part of both departments, but is probably predominantly housed in Linguistics. I applied directly to Linguistics, but my application had to be vetted by both departments before any admissions decisions were made. I got an email a couple weeks ago on the Linguistics end saying they had admitted me, I was just waiting on the Anthro side to confirm it. 

Here's a blurb about the program: http://linguistics.arizona.edu/content/joint-phd-anthropology-linguistics-also-known-anli-degree

Just received my official acceptance via email. Not sure what that 4-6 weeks was that they were referring to. So I'm guessing that offers will start coming in any time now. I'm sociocultural with a focus on medical anthropology, if that helps for people wondering about subfields.

Just as an FYI, I got an email tonight from Arizona saying that I had been recommended for admission for the dual Anth/Ling phd program. So I'd assume other notices should be going out soon. 

Just received my official acceptance via email. Not sure what that 4-6 weeks was that they were referring to. So I'm guessing that offers will start coming in any time now. I'm sociocultural with a focus on medical anthropology, if that helps for people wondering about subfields.

Congrats! :)

ughhh i see that the rejections are starting to rainnnnn innnnn - alll i want is ONE university to take me....JUST one

Good luck! If you need to re-apply next year, it might be worthwhile to apply for an archaeologist job through the USG. They offer permanent and seasonal (so could be like a paid internship).