Pacific University Oregon Interview

Anyone else got invitation for Pacific University interview? My kid got an email today for interview. They mentioned if you are unable to attend an interview face to face then they will arrange for Skype interview.

Anyone from last year can give updates what do they ask in interview?

Has anyone already had an interview at Pacific or any other program, and what types of questions do they ask?

Thanks in advance!

I've got an interview at Pacific on 2/28 (which makes me kind of nervous because all the people who posted here are interviewing on the 22nd). I'm also wondering how I should prepare and what kind of questions they'll ask. I'm also on the fence about what to wear! I was going to go with a more formal business look, but after noticing that all the student clinicians in the pictures on their website are in jeans, I'm wondering if I should ditch the blazer for a sweater.

I would look professional for the interview, regardless of how you see a graduate student. When working with kids, you'll be wearing more casual clothing, but an interview is not a casual situation. You want to look professional.

I applied to Pacific Univ. But I have not heard back about an interview. So good luck to those who did!

sheranik- Thanks for the advice! I certainly plan on looking professional, I'm just torn as to whether I should shoot for more business casual or standard business. I'm afraid if I'm overdressed I'll be really self-conscious (but I would also be really self-conscious if I was in a skirt and sweater and everyone else wore suits). Looking at your stats, I'm shocked you didn't get an interview. You look like a much better candidate than I am.

dial1010usa- I PMed you. Thanks! :)

HippoPirate- I would definitely wear a suit (jacket/pant or skirt/pant). I just completed an interview last Friday (not for PU Oregon, but another school) and was complemented by both faculty and grad students on what I wore. The grad students were definitely casual in their attire... one even had slippers on... and the faculty was dressed in casual business attire, so comparatively I was a lot more dressed up but I feel it showed a level of professionalism. I also think that by dressing up you show an attitude of seriousness and respect for the program, the interview process, and those you will be meeting with. Just my opinion :)

P.S. I did put some fun, bright red heels for a pop so don't be afraid to show some personality either :)

Edited by SweetPea21

I just got an email invitation to interview this upcoming friday (the 28th) from Pacific University.  My friend interviewed on the 22nd and she said everyone was dressed very professionally, although the faculty was dressed a little more casual-professional. I'm not sure what kinds of questions they asked but I plan on talking to those who've already completed the interview. 

For the interview on Friday, there is apparently a lunch with faculty and current students, a tour, and then the interviews which are 2 to 1 and can include SLP's from the community. One thing they asked my friend was what book, if applicable, she had read recently… 

I'm sure there will be more typical questions but also questions that really help them to get to know you.

izzab808- will you please ask your friend what kind of question they have asked?

what do you mean by interviews which are 2 to 1 and can include SLP's from the community?

Just a note, dial1010usa - often times interviewees are asked to keep the questions confidential to prevent later interviewees from having an unfair advantage over other applicants. That may be why you're having trouble getting an answer to your question. 

@sheranik

I still haven't heard about a possible interview at pacific. Did you hear from them yet? I'm still waiting... It's making me nervous!

Has anyone else heard anything besides rejection or interview?

I'm still waiting as well. Not sure what that means for me.....

izzab808- will you please ask your friend what kind of question they have asked?

what do you mean by interviews which are 2 to 1 and can include SLP's from the community?

Hey Dial1010usa

She doesn't remember exactly but another friend of mine that had an interview said that the most important questions are really  "why our school/program" and "why SLP" the rest of the questions are getting to know you. 

And what I meant by 2 to 1 is that there are 2 interviewers to every 1 interviewee/candidate (so there will be 2 people interviewing you) and it won't necessarily be faculty from the grad program but any SLP available to complete the interviews. 

Hope that helps! Are you doing the Skype or in-person interview?

Pacific University is a great school and has a great staff and very professional.

My daughter's interview went well and see if she gets an acceptance.

Good luck to all who went thru this and hope you will get in.

Does anyone remember if they gave us an exact time frame for when Diana will start calling people for acceptances? I know they said they would have last weeks round of interviews, and then decided, but I can't remember if they said a specific week or not! This wait is killing me!!!

Dr. Fischer said they were getting together to look at applications this week. That's all I know. It's driving me crazy, too! According to last year's results on Grad Cafe, it looked like they started notifying people on March 11th. But they also held interviews a week earlier last year. Am I over-thinking this a tad? :P

I don't think so at all!! I just had this vision that they were going to make decisions before the weekend was over and then start calling on Monday. A little too enthusiastic right?? It's driving me nuts!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...