WWS Admissions 2014

quincepessa

WWS has a smaller class size than HKS, so just in terms of pure numbers, it's harder to get into (more people competing for fewer slots).  But all schools are trying to create a particular class with their admission choices, with a mix of backgrounds and experiences, and that mix may not be the same for every school. That's what makes these things hard to evaluate, because it's not purely about your stats, it's also about what the school feels like they need in the class that year and how you stack up relative to the other applicants in the pool with the same characteristics and background as you.  So just because you got rejected by HKS isn't 100% you're going to be rejected by WWS. And vice versa, if you look at the results search page you can see that there are plenty of people from last year who were accepted at HKS but rejected by WWS.  

Edited by Gov2School

WWS has a smaller class size than HKS, so just in terms of pure numbers, it's harder to get into (more people competing for fewer slots).  But all schools are trying to create a particular class with their admission choices, with a mix of backgrounds and experiences, and that mix may not be the same for every school. That's what makes these things hard to evaluate, because it's not purely about your stats, it's also about what the school feels like they need in the class that year and how you stack up relative to the other applicants in the pool with the same characteristics and background as you.  So just because you got rejected by HKS isn't 100% you're going to be rejected by WWS. And vice versa, if you look at the results search page you can see that there are plenty of people from last year who were accepted at HKS but rejected by WWS.  

I agree with this assessment gov2school!  Good luck!

I never thought I'd get caught up refreshing and refreshing again my email and the Grad Cafe results submission page. But I've been at it, while reading The Dish on the side, for over an hour. Internet is expensive in West Africa so I'm being ridiculous. Trying to keep my expectations low but whatever; we'll hopefully have word from WWS this evening. We're competing on an (hopefully) even playing field for limited spots and funding in all the highly selective programs - I salute you if you receive an admit decision. Good luck to all! 

Heard from a friend who's a current WWS student earlier today - the word there is that decisions have been made and should be released soon (which I understood as 'whenever in the next few days fits their timeline and processes' not 'in the next few hours).

Heard from a friend who's a current WWS student earlier today - the word there is that decisions have been made and should be released soon (which I understood as 'whenever in the next few days fits their timeline and processes' not 'in the next few hours).

Their admissions blog has a post with an admissions timeline which states that admissions notifications will be released today.   It looks like they were released on March 15th last year (was on a Friday last year).  I

I'm in!

Although I'm kind of leaning toward's Pardee RAND's PhD program (rather than the WWS MPA).  So if you've been waitlisted there's a decent chance I'll be giving up my spot.

Still waiting. Logged onto my application...apparently one of my recommenders never sent anything in, which I should have checked earlier. Ouch. I updated it to a different recommender (from same employer) who is always prompt about it, but I wonder if that will derail my application.

Still waiting, but feeling increasingly less optimistic if others found out over 30 minutes ago. 

I wouldn't get that down about waiting...yesterday other people were posting about UM's Ford School almost two hours before I got my email both admitting me and granting a fellowship, so there's that.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they only take 80 people, how long does it take to send out 80 emails? :-) Oh well,  worrying about it won't make things come in any faster. 

I know. The wait is excruciating. And you may be right. :( The grad school website says they took 138 people out of 1,074 applicants last year.  Yield rate is 65%.  NO breakdown between MPA, MPP, and PhD.  I think the PhD program is very small though.

Well, I am at the end of the alphabet.  Or the Director of Admissions is crafting beautiful hand written notes to each of us, and he's taking his time to do a haiku for me.....or they're just waiting until 5 to send out the rejections so we can't all call the office and cry about it :-) 

maybe they are sending it out alphabetically!

My last name starts with a "B" and I think I was the first person on here to get the admissions e-mail, so your theory may be correct.