UT LBJ - MPA Admitted Thread, Fall 2014

kathryn_a

Do not over think it or worry too much, last year I did and it helped little except for endless nights of no sleep with weird theories including international, alphabet letters and number patterns. I remember correctly the first of us to hear we were admitted were on a Friday and up to Thursday people kept hearing also for Friday people our emails came in on a Sunday, and this was in March, so do not think that not hearing is necessary a bad thing. 

I'm guessing that kathryn_a and Plate77 might have been special acceptances (perhaps priority acceptances). It seems that everyone else I've talked to hasn't heard back -- which might indicate that they haven't gotten to the rest of their acceptances yet.

Just speculation though!

Yes it sounds that way, don´t worry my guess is they will come out when they did last year so first week of March. I would keep an eye out Friday. I have no idea as I am in no way associated with the admissions committee but that is my incling as it was on Friday afternoon last year when most of us heard. keeping my fingers crossed for y´all!

Edited by MPPgal

When I met with the LBJ representatives in the fall...they said second week of March for admissions results. I'm surprised people are hearing so early...

Edited by texasjen

I put all my eggs in the lbj basket; I'm in Austin already, and due to family commitments, don't really have the flexibility to move right now. I know I need to get quantitative GRE up for next year, and maybe go ahead and take some more math classes. Any other advice to help me be competitive for next time around?

I put all my eggs in the lbj basket; I'm in Austin already, and due to family commitments, don't really have the flexibility to move right now. I know I need to get quantitative GRE up for next year, and maybe go ahead and take some more math classes. Any other advice to help me be competitive for next time around?

Well it's hard to tell without your statistics. What's your GPA, GRE, etc?

Been working as an educator for 10 years. Volunteer work with refugees and a persistent interest in gov, development, and diplomacy made me want to apply for the mgps. 3.8 Gpa from an ivy as an undergrad, decent writing on gre, high verbal, pretty low quantitative. Not a lot of math courses in undergrad. Good lors from professors at Dartmouth and Columbia. I'm thinking take more math and improve the gre?

Yes and international experience I think that might be your low point, for MPAff your curriculum sounds fine but if you want to do something that is global you need to link it to world. Remember you are competing against internationals, people with peace corps experience etc. You need to link it much more. I fnot I would say try for MPAff it seems a lot more tailored for education.