UT LBJ - MPA Admitted Thread, Fall 2014

kathryn_a

Congratulations to all who've been accepted to the LBJ School! A group of current students will be making contact with you all in the coming weeks to talk about the programs, school community, life in Austin, etc.

So I'm guessing at this point if we haven't heard anything, assume the worst? If current students are already being tasked with reaching out to admitted applicants....

I just heard I was offered a spot on the wait list today. Not bad considering it's one of my top picks! Congrats to all those who received funding and offers!

CONGRATS MPAallday!

Do you mind if I ask the numbers/work experience you applied with?

CONGRATS MPAallday!

Do you mind if I ask the numbers/work experience you applied with?

I applied with a 3.12 (last 60 was a 3.73) and 159/156/4.5. I've worked throughout my undergraduate career in both relevant and non-relevant positions, but nothing post-grad since I graduate in May. So, considering my mediocre stats, I'm happy to be where I am! Hopefully the admissions committee saw some sort of potential.

Congrats MPAallday! I've been checking back here to see what happened for you. I'm glad to hear you got some good news.

Thanks! Now I'm just waiting for the final letters from the rest of my applications (I'm sure just like you).

I applied with a 3.12 (last 60 was a 3.73) and 159/156/4.5. I've worked throughout my undergraduate career in both relevant and non-relevant positions, but nothing post-grad since I graduate in May. So, considering my mediocre stats, I'm happy to be where I am! Hopefully the admissions committee saw some sort of potential.

Thanks! Now I'm just waiting for the final letters from the rest of my applications (I'm sure just like you).

Hey MPAallday that's good you are still in the running and congratulations are def. in order! I can notify you if I decline LBJ since I'm undecided, which may or may not help but, you know. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

Hey MPAallday that's good you are still in the running and congratulations are def. in order! I can notify you if I decline LBJ since I'm undecided, which may or may not help but, you know. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

Thanks! :) Keep me (us) posted! It's a great school, but not for everyone so I can understand if you eventually decide on another.

MPAAllDay, I'll also most likely be declining assuming that I don't receive funding (which is looking like the case). Awesome program, and as a Texas native, I would have loved to go back, but without funding options, it'll be tough for me if someone else offers a better package...

Good luck!

MPAAllDay, I'll also most likely be declining assuming that I don't receive funding (which is looking like the case). Awesome program, and as a Texas native, I would have loved to go back, but without funding options, it'll be tough for me if someone else offers a better package...

Good luck!

Thanks for the update albuhhh (it's so weird referring to each other by usernames)! Which offer are you thinking of accepting?

MPAallday, I actually haven't heard back from the majority of the schools I applied to, so I haven't heard back from my top choices. However, if I don't get into a choice that I would consider without funding, I have a tuition scholarship offer from USC Price, so that will be very very hard to turn down, especially as I am already in California and it would keep me close to friends and professional networks.

For those who did not receive any funding from LBJ:  Have you asked the question of the Admissions Committee whether secondary funding considerations will be made after April 15, when folks have decided to accept or decline their admission? Or are these decisions final? For example, if someone received $$$ from LBJ but chose to decline their acceptance and funding offer, would that money go back into the pot and awarded to someone else? 

I was one of those accepted for Fall 2014, but not offered any funding. I will likely still attend because LBJ is affordable compared to some of the other schools, but even a little $$$ will go a long way!

I found a similar discussion on this topic from 2008, but times are different now so I was curious if anyone has raised the issue more recently.

I would appreciate any information you can offer. Thanks!

I just received my admission letter today. No funding T_T  Though the tuition is relatively affordable, still feeling a little disappointed.

I'm very interested in the question posted above.

Edited by marwanslm

I just received my admission letter today. No funding T_T  Though the tuition is relatively affordable, still feeling a little disappointed.

I'm very interested in the question posted above.

I asked a friend of mine who used to work in admissions and he said that (where he worked) funding that is freed up from applicants who declined their offers typically went to students who were either (1) accepted from the wait list or (2) had no funding in the first place. Of course this is just anecdotal evidence.

Edited by MPAallday

Just an FYI- apparently an email was sent out about ten days ago letting people know if they were wait-listed or not for the MPAff program. Looks like some people were left out of the email, me included. I emailed the admissions committee to inquire and they responded within the hour.

So...if you are still "in review" and haven't heard anything yet, email the admissions committee!