statistics and biostatistics departments by number of graduates

Came across this while looking at Twitter, thought these might be helpful to people looking to compare departments. I hadn't seen current data for the number of graduates (I think NRC uses numbers from 2005), so some of these figures from 2010-2012 were pretty surprising to me.

Texas A&M is the second largest producer of stats PhDs after NC State, who knew? Columbia graduated 288 stats MA students alone in 2012 -- that is, over 100 more students than the total biostatistics PhDs awarded in 2012 across all US departments!

Largest PhD programs in statistics and biostatistics

Largest master's programs in statistics and biostatistics

If you follow the links above to the AmStat blog posts, there are links to PDFs with a complete listing of annual number of graduates by year from each program.

Came across this while looking at Twitter, thought these might be helpful to people looking to compare departments. I hadn't seen current data for the number of graduates (I think NRC uses numbers from 2005), so some of these figures from 2010-2012 were pretty surprising to me.

Texas A&M is the second largest producer of stats PhDs after NC State, who knew? Columbia graduated 288 stats MA students alone in 2012 -- that is, over 100 more students than the total biostatistics PhDs awarded in 2012 across all US departments!

Largest PhD programs in statistics and biostatistics

Largest master's programs in statistics and biostatistics

If you follow the links above to the AmStat blog posts, there are links to PDFs with a complete listing of annual number of graduates by year from each program.

Wow that number for Columbia MA students is really high, they do both spring and fall admissions for their MA stats programs but that number is still really high. It seems like a cash cow for the department, cant be a sign of a good MA program Edited by StatPhD2014

I think you are right, StatPhD2014. According to Petersons, the admission rate for Columbia Stats is very high (I imagine it's much lower for the PhD applicants), leading me to believe that they accept most people who apply to their Stats MA program.

Where can i find these admissions rates, do you a link to it i would be interested

I think you are right, StatPhD2014. According to Petersons, the admission rate for Columbia Stats is very high (I imagine it's much lower for the PhD applicants), leading me to believe that they accept most people who apply to their Stats MA program.

From what i can tell it is much lower for their PhD under 10%

Where can i find these admissions rates, do you a link to it i would be interested

I checked Petersons.com, and other stats can be found on graduate school websites. It can be difficult to distinguish for stats though, since the admissions information often includes data for both Master's and PhD's (in Columbia's case, it appears to be only Master's reported).

Some Masters programs in stats are extremely selective, e.g. Duke accepts fewer than 10 students for even their Master's program.