BU Fall 2014

vidulice09

Let's talk more about this financing issue! I got in on Tuesday and they are funding about 3/4 of my tuition and I have a federal work study allotment. I'm also allowed to take out the max in federal loans, which I guess is probably to fund my living expenses. What have other people heard? Am I crazy to still be concerned about financing? It is Boston after all...

I was accepted as well with a scholarship that will cover 1/2 the tuition. I'm concerned about finances too so I'm waiting to see if another school will offer me a better financial package but if not BU is my top choice and I'll most likely go. I'm looking at it as an investment. BU is great school so I'm hoping the cost of it will pay off in the long run. 

Hi, I was accepted as well but I will be going to BC because it offers me more money. Pmelwani, I know that BC also offers you a scholarship, will you be choosing BC or BU? And if money is not a factor, which one of the two will you choose?

Hi, I was accepted as well but I will be going to BC because it offers me more money. Pmelwani, I know that BC also offers you a scholarship, will you be choosing BC or BU? And if money is not a factor, which one of the two will you choose?

Sweetpiepear - I did a comparison and BU will be cheaper in the long run by 10K for the total program. And since money is factor, I'm leaning towards BU. They are both giving 1/2 of the tuition but BC is more expensive by $5000/year. I do like BC's clinical program more but I think BU's program is just as good. Since I prefer to work with adults, it won't matter which one I go to. I know BC has a school track and many school field placements so it makes sense for you to choose BC over BU. 

I'm still waiting to hear from 4 other schools but I think i'll have to put a deposit down for BU to at least hold my spot and scholarship. I think it will be an honor to attend either BC or BU. They are both reputable schools with great programs.

For those that are out-of-state (e.g. not living in Boston) and are wondering what the average cost-of-living is here in Boston, I live in a 1 BD apt in Allston/Brighton and I pay $1625 a month.  Depending on the area you move to, most 1 BD apts will run around $1500-1700 a month.  The closer you live to the center of Boston (e.g., Back Bay) the more $$ you'll have to pay.  Also Brookline is pretty expensive too.  From what I saw when I was first deciding where to move here in Boston, Allston and Brighton were decently priced and both are accesible by bus/subway to BU & BC.  Obviously if you were to share an apt with roommates and rented a room, you'd be paying a lot less.  One of my co-workers shares a 4 BD apt with 3 roommates and she pays $675 a month, but the average cost to rent a room here in Boston is about $700-800. 

Also if you're wanting to rent an entire apt, most places around Boston require the use of realtor brokers.  And when all's said and done, chances are you'll have to pay 1st & last month's rent, security deposit, & broker's fee.  If you do the math for a $1700 apt that's $6800 up front!!!!  Places go really fast so it's highly recommended to start looking by April/May.  Some places waive the security deposit and/or broker's fee.  

Mass transportation (MBTA) costs $70 a month for unlimited subway/bus and as a student you receive a 10% or so discount but have to pay for a student pass each semester (e.g., 4 months x $63 or so).   

If you're bringing your own car to Boston, keep in mind that unless you have MA plates & a MA license, you won't be able to obtain a neighborhood parking sticker that allows you to park in certain areas.  Parking in Boston is at a premium and out-of-state vehicles are only permitted to park along certain desginated streets.  This becomes especially challenging & tricky when the mayor declares a snow emergency and you're required to move your car else getting towed.  No bueno.  So if you can live without your car for the 2 years you're in school, I'd highly recommend keeping it at home with the parents.

Lastly, for those that do decide to move to Boston (especially around Sept 1st), please note that that weekend is VERY chaotic as 99.9% of the leases expire on Aug 31st.  Make sure to reserve any moving trucks, UHauls, etc. well in advance and if you're able to, you can visit Boston City Hall and pay for a parking spot in front of the bldg and that reserves the spot for 12 hrs.  The cost of that is around $100 but it's definitely worth it as it guarantees a parking spot.  Trust me that's a good thing to have! :)  Moving day is chaotic and stressful enough, why add to that the inability to find a parking spot let alone having to unload and return the truck before it's due?

So as you can see Boston is not a cheap place to live but hopefully this information helps.  I've been living here in Boston for almost 2 years.

I'm almost positive ill be attending BU, just having to work out the financials. I'm coming from NYC as well but went to BU undergrad so I feel very familiar with the area. It is expensive but having a roommate and/or significant other helps with the cost oft things. Are a lot of people already living in Boston now? How do the out of towners plan on looking for housing? I.e, get roommates or find a 1BD?

pmelwani

Thank you for your inputs. I think everyone deserves to be in the best program because s/he has a great passion in human services. I am second doubting if I should go to BU now because of the trauma focus that they offered. I just found out BU made an error with my financial aid. They thought I was a part-time application and offered me a scholarship based on that. They said that they have to reconsider my financial aid. Now I don't even know if I will get more money from BU, but I have just mailed out my $200 check to BC. If I want to work with delinquent juveniles, which program do you guys think focus more on youth and children?

@sweetpie: I have no idea. My supervisor was a BC MSW student who worked a lot with adolescence/delinquent juveniles populations; and our organization is strictly about youth and families, so I'm sure they taught her nothing but good things at her site (and classroom) and hence is my wonderful boss. I also know of a BU MSW Grad who did the same thing working with kids in Roxubury who were doing poorly in school and providing counseling & mentorship. I think if you have a specific questions you should type up on facebook: BU (or BC) social work groups and see if you can post a question on their discussion boards/group timeline.

Also, I got from BU a 100% tuition discount thanks to their Urban Practice Scholarship. So that alleviates a lot of worries for me...

To everyone who got partial and full scholarships congratulations! It definitely puts me at ease to know that I am not the only one who is worried about the cost of BU. The way my financial package looks now (11:28 PM, Feb. 20 2014 LOL), I am almost sure I will have to take out every loan possible to fund my education as well as living expenses for at least the first year. 

I know a friend of my went to UPenn and she actually owes 100K+ because she was in the exact situation. Although i talked to her earlier today and she seems to be happy, it is daunting the amount she owes. She is currently starting her loan forgiveness which will require her to pay 120 consecutive payments for 10 years straight while she is working for full time. 

I know that I am at a really good spot because BU is a phenomenal school, so if I do not get into anywhere else, I know I will go there and force to take out all loans. But my logic and gut feeling at this point is for me to wait on state school decisions. A state school in California would cost be 20,000 for two years compared to the 100K I will have to pay at other schools. My only concern is the brand/name.

I have read all the other blogs as well, and it really boils down to personal values; I am just internally conflicted. 

Edited by guyinshortsallday

Congrats to those who have received scholarships! I agree with a number of you, the funding/lack thereof is frustrating. I was in the running for a 100% scholarship and didn't get it, and was offered only loans at the present. However, I'm still filing my FAFSA, and am hoping that will ease some of the financial burden. Still, I've decided that even if I end up with a fair amount of student loans, I feel like this is the right step for me right now, and since I'm not looking towards having dependents any time soon, I'm not too worried about paying back loans over a number of years.

On a different note, I'm excited to meet my fellow classmates! If anyone would like to connect with me via Facebook, especially if you're looking for roommates, you can find me at https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.vidulich .

I also wanted to add to my last post (I got cut off because of internet connection)...

i am worried a lot of living costs. Boston is expensive! I'm doing some research if the Massachusetts State Government has loan programs (at no interest) for social work majors. I will be happy to update you all, if I can get any valuable information or leads. But I'm projecting to be in the hole (20K when I finish my studies to supplement rent/food costs). This isn't going to be free nor cheap for nobody.

ALSO<, If anyone wants to friend me in the Facebook! Introduce yourself via Facebook and I will be happy to connect! :)

Hey Nereida, I am also coming from CA! Where in CA are you from? I'm from the Bay Area. 

To all, I was also accepted to BU's program with a 50% Urban Practice Scholarship, but I'm torn between BU and Simmons right now. Simmons also offered me a 50% scholarship and both programs cost pretty much the same. Any word of advice about the two programs?? Quite honestly, I'm at a loss about what I should look for in each program to help me make my decision. I am planning to focus on clinical work, specifically with trauma-exposed populations, and both programs offer either a specialization or certificate in trauma. 

Edited by HopefulMSW

Not a problem HopefulMSW I'm glad I could help!  When I moved to Boston almost 2 years ago, it was a pretty stressful experience and I can only begin to imagine how stressful you all are in trying to decide what school to attend let alone how to survive day-to-day here in Boston.  Moving into Boston is not easy, but with plenty of planning and preparation it can be a rather smooth and "stress-free" process.

@ HopefulMSW: I'm in Southern CA (in the Valley 25 miles east of LA). I also plan on focusing on clinical work and hopefully get the trauma certificate. 

Edited by nereida

HopefulMSW - my boss gave me some really good advice yesterday. Look at the logistics side if you can't decide. She said that it does not matter where you go, really! As long as you get your license, that's it. I think you can look at the students' culture. Do you prefer making new friends or getting to know people? BU is known (according to a BU student, my coworker=D) for socializing. You will get to know a lot of people. As for Simmons SW, many students are part-time and they have a job already. They are there to learn. I think you can look at the transportation and rent as well. I will be driving so I prefer BU because it's closer to Storrow drive. I also like the area better. But some people like to be closer to Fenway. Look at the class schedules, courses, and electives. I know Simmons requires 24hours field education for both years while BU and BC are 16/24. Do you want to get more practical experience? Take those into your consideration. The reason why I do not choose Simmons is because I have a full time job at a homeless shelter; 24 hours of field placement for 2 years will be difficult for me. I am choosing BU now because I do not want any debt, and BU actually offers more electives than BC.

Nereida, I am originally from the Bay area too. Let me know if you want to connect. Boston is really cold. I thought I was going to die first year living here.lol...Joking. But because now I drive, it's not too bad. Taking the T in the cold is really a pain in the butt. Other than that, Boston is very beautiful. However, you will miss a lot of good food - burritos, in-and-out, jack in the box, real Mexican food, Japanese ramen, etc... The good news is, NYC is not far away and you can always find good food there. This is just my impression of Boston, but do ask me question if you want to know more about the culture and the people here. =)

sweetpiepear - THANK YOU for the extremely helpful advice! I will definitely have to sit down this week and weigh the pros and cons of each program. Whereas before, I wasn't sure what I should be looking for, now I do, thanks to you!