Cold emails to be a GRA?

catsnphysics

So, I am kind of unofficially accepted to a master's program, maybe. I got a personal email from somebody asking if I would need an assistantship. I said yes, then he told me that the deadline for the application has passed (oops, I suck), but that I could email professors and try to convince them to take me as a GRA.

"This is a much more difficult approach, but it has been done before."

I live in Tennessee and this University of Missouri at Kansas City, so requesting a meeting in person would be really difficult, though technically not impossible. (It's an 11 hour drive.) So sending a really charming and convincing email is the best option.

How do I do this?! I went to/am graduating from the University of Tennessee, so it's not as though I've taken classes with these professors or know them at all.

Also, does this sound like I am probably accepted? It's really confusing!

I would think the emails would be similar to the emails sent to professors before applying.  I haven't had to write one of these so this is advice that isn't based off of experience.

I would look through all of the faculty and see which professors have interests that are close to yours.  Then send them an email that introduces yourself, your background, your experience, and most importantly the question: do you need a RA?  Make sure that you indicate that such and such recommended emailing professors. 

Hope that helps a little!

Edit:

It does sound like you are accepted but without funding. 

Edited by geographyrocks