NYC Programs

Jjjjjbird

Congratulations sslove!!! 

which school is your first choice?

In a perfect (unlimitedly financed) world, Columbia... in reality, Hunter. But honestly, all three are excellent programs and I'd be happy at any of them. It's mostly about making the money game work for me. Thanks!

Thanks MaggieDot! It was an email.  I called and they said that if you get an acceptance letter, you should get a letter about scholarships within 1-2 days. And then about 2 weeks later you should get the financial aid (loans) info.  NYU is known for giving scholarships. So now I'm waiting on that.

Everybody who got acceptances this week and hasn't said already, are you in the two year program?

I got accepted to the two-year program! But my application was submitted in October, when was yours completed? Also, has anyone heard yet about NYU scholarships yet?

I was wondering the same thing! I got accepted into the 2 year program and haven't heard anything about scholarships and financial aid. I'm really hoping they're a little more timely about it than they were with releasing decisions. I have a deadline in 10 days to commit to schools.

Edited by KNik

Ah, well good luck to you guys! I hope you all get accepted to your top choice programs (for me, it's Hunter). NYU is too expensive for me, but I hear they give generous tuition breaks. If I get accepted to both programs (fingers crossed), it might come down to cost of tuition as an out-of-state student. Why does New York have to be so expensive?  :unsure:

Hi all!

I just heard back from NYU today (accepted) but there was nothing in my acceptance letter about a scholarship.  Not sure if this means I'm not getting a merit-based scholarship.  NYU is one of the few schools that provides merit-based scholarships (meaning, I think, that you don't have to submit a FAFSA in order to qualify). I have a TON of social work experience so I think if I'm not offered a merit-based scholarship, "merit" must be based on undergrad GPA (mine was 3.23, I read somewhere that they prefer >3.5). I happen to think that's pure BS, since we all know that one's potential as a social worker is not based on GPA.  If I'm not offered a merit-based scholarship, I've submitted my FAFSA and am hoping to receive a need-based scholarship.

That being said, Hunter and NYU are both ranked #22 (not that SW rankings mean all that much), but NYU is 3x as expensive as Hunter, and Hunter's acceptance rate is about half of NYU's.  There's clearly very little advantage in going to NYU over Hunter except that outside of the social work world, NYU's name is more impressive.  Granted, NYU has a strong clinical program for those (like me) who plan to go that rout, but once we graduate we're all in the same boat.  Personally, Hunter's social justice philosophy is much more in line with mine than NYU's, so unless NYU surprises me with close to a full scholarship (yeah right), Hunter it is!

Well, got an email from NYU this morning saying I was being awarded $9,000/year. Called to find out about possible need-based scholarships and they're "giving" me the rest in loans.

Needless to say, I'll be attending Hunter in the fall :D

rshaw86 did your email have each semester listed and then an amount? Mine just listed Fall 2014 and my amount and I wondered if that meant I only got a scholarship for a semester, which I think is weird...

rshaw86 did your email have each semester listed and then an amount? Mine just listed Fall 2014 and my amount and I wondered if that meant I only got a scholarship for a semester, which I think is weird...

Mine was the same way.