2014 Biology Grad Warriors

Monochrome Spring

Congratulations! You've just accepted an offer of admissions for graduate school. Here's the thread to discuss program, courses, research, conferences, housing, meet-ups, etc. with the other grad cafe peeps who have been keeping you neurotic throughout the process.

I thought about including a form like in the admissions thread, but figured that this would more relaxed with less stats competition. So, introduce however little or much you want.

Title courtesy of knightrunner.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

I accepted an offer from Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, the interview gave me at least two days to look around the city... but other than that, I don't know much about it. Looking up info on the internet is difficult because it doesn't give you the true feel of the city. I really liked it while I was there, but I don't know enough about the neighborhoods or where I should be looking to live. 

In general, there are places that offer utilities included with the rent payments which are nice... but could I save money finding a cheaper place and paying utilities myself? Anyone have some advice?

I accepted an offer from Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, the interview gave me at least two days to look around the city... but other than that, I don't know much about it. Looking up info on the internet is difficult because it doesn't give you the true feel of the city. I really liked it while I was there, but I don't know enough about the neighborhoods or where I should be looking to live. 

In general, there are places that offer utilities included with the rent payments which are nice... but could I save money finding a cheaper place and paying utilities myself? Anyone have some advice?

Don't live in East Baltimore.

Still waiting on offers from Weill and Columbia, but I've already had an acceptance at Sloan-Kettering for about a month now.  Even if I get into both Weill and Columbia, I'll likely be going to GSK.

Edit: I suppose I'm also waiting on Einstein, but I'm declining it should I get it.

Edited by byt2104

Still waiting on offers from Weill and Columbia, but I've already had an acceptance at Sloan-Kettering for about a month now.  Even if I get into both Weill and Columbia, I'll likely be going to GSK.

Edit: I suppose I'm also waiting on Einstein, but I'm declining it should I get it.

Curious to hear your thoughts of why GSK vs Weill? I was accepted by GSK and Weill (found out today), as well.

Honestly it comes down to the class structure.  The people I'd most want to rotate/work with would be at SKI anyways, so I don't miss out on professors at Weill, Rockefeller or HSS, so that doesn't really matter.  I don't care a whole lot about the larger university community that's available at Weill, and I actually like the idea of being a tight knit cohort.  Working as a technician right now at CUMC, I see the rotation students constantly running in and out of lab in order to be in class and do homework.  That is not something that I'd want to do, and the GSK program where rotations and classes are separate avoids it.  Also, I'm pretty sure the ACE for GSK is your thesis presentation, as opposed to something unrelated. 

TLDR: Research is the same. Stipend is the same. Housing is the same. Classes and rotations are separate at GSK.

Officially going to University of Michigan. I'm most likely moving there mid to late June. If anyone is moving from the West Coast - let me know! I'm not looking for housemates (live with longeterm partner and chihuahua), but would be interested in perhaps sharing a moving truck or something. 

Congrats on deciding, any insight into what sealed the deal at Weill for you. I'm leaning towards Weill as well.

I sent you a message because I didn't want to instigate a spirited discussion. The sum all is that I think Weill "may" take longer but offers more opportunities than GSK, which can allow you (if you're motivated enough) to have more thesis options. 

I'd recommend looking in the area of Fells Point, Mt. Vernon or Canton. A lot of times the city can be difficult to live in without roommates due to cost and security... I'd recommend living with someone in a small building. You also might want to look where the Circulator routes are as well as the JHMI shuttle. I went to JHU for undergrad and have lived in bmore for 8 years so if you have any questions let me know. I'd hate to admit it, but you may also want to google the crime map to see where break-ins/ robberies etc happen often.http://data.baltimoresun.com/bing-maps/homicides/

Hmm. If WUSTL accepts me now, it will be really really hard to choose. Nevertheless, I think Duke is going to be my destination.

Accepted Penn CAMB offer! Woooohoo. Philly here I come. @kevintoy

Hi have you looked into housing yet? I've spent sometime on craigslist but since I need to attend the training program for international students in June it's a bit hard to sign leashes

I'd recommend looking in the area of Fells Point, Mt. Vernon or Canton. A lot of times the city can be difficult to live in without roommates due to cost and security... I'd recommend living with someone in a small building. You also might want to look where the Circulator routes are as well as the JHMI shuttle. I went to JHU for undergrad and have lived in bmore for 8 years so if you have any questions let me know. I'd hate to admit it, but you may also want to google the crime map to see where break-ins/ robberies etc happen often.http://data.baltimoresun.com/bing-maps/homicides/

Thanks, yeah I've looked into the Mt. Vernon area, it's nice around there. I've also been looking at the crime maps, but like everyone always tells me, there are pockets of good and bad there. Knowing where the bad pockets are will be my biggest challenge until I actually live there. 

I haven't yet looked into the circulator or shuttle routes, I'll check that out next, thanks for the idea. As for a roommate, I won't really know until I get into better contact with the department to see if anyone is in need of a roommate... so for now I'm just looking at one bedroom or studio places. 

I've been accepted at Purdue, Drexel, and UConn... I absolutely cannot make up my mind between the three of them, though >.< I'm not even remotely familiar with Indiana but I'm from the East Coast so Hartford and Philly are slightly more up my alley in terms of how stuff works there.