Statement of Purpose Direction

Hello there,

I have recently sent out applications for a PhD in marketing with a sociology subfield, as I study marketing in the context of sociology. While I have only heard back from two schools both were rejections, with one school recommending I pursue a Master's in sociology, and then reapply. As the rest of my schools might not get back to me until April I decided to begin applying to the schools that would grant me a Master's, due to 1.) Having a background in sociology already that I really enjoy, 2.) I had foresaw this and located Master's programs that are still accepting applicants and that I'd love to study under, and 3.) I do not want to wait to hear back from the other graduate schools, as that would be after all of the Master's schools' deadline.

With that said, my ultimate goal is a PhD. I do have an interdisciplinary background, strong LOR, research experience spanning five years, work experience, and a senior thesis. I have mediocre GRE scores, as I do not test well (I make this up in practical experience). I received my BA about 4 years ago. If my ultimate goal is the pursuit of a PhD... what do I put as my Master's statement of purpose? Should I indicate that this degree will be a stepping stone to a PhD, or would it be frowned upon? Does anyone have any advice about how to phrase this topic? As I said, I would be genuinely elated to study with these schools and I certainly love the idea of pursuing a Master's; I simply jumped to PhD applications in hopes I could avoid one for the sake of time and finances.

Cheers,

AsterNox