Biology GRE Subject Test???

rmo_3000

Greetings,

I graduated with my BA in Experimental Psychology almost 15 years ago. However, prior to declaring Psychology as my major, I was a pre-med students, so took several courses in Biology (Intro I and II, Microbio, Cell Bio, Anatomy & Physiology I and II), Chemistry (Inorganic I and II; Organic I and II) and Physics I and II. I'm now planning to apply to Masters Programs in Biology.

Here's my question: although most of the schools to which I'm planning to apply neither require nor even 'strongly recommend' taking the GRE Biology Subject Test, since I'm out of school so long and didn't major in Biology (albeit I took several bio courses), would it be wise for me to take the Subject test in Bio just to let grad schools know that I'm knowledgable in the subject???

(Additional Info: 3.2 GPA (overall); 3.83 GPA (Bio courses);  3.56 (All Science...bio, chem, phys)

I took the GRE General 3 days ago, 159 Verbal; 158 Math; don't now the AWA yet...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   :D

I recommend taking the test in your case. However, do not take advantage ETS's offer to send your scores to four schools for free unless you know for a fact you will do well. Then, if you are pleased with your scores, send them out to the schools that you think might have an interest (to show your strength in biology). It may cost you a bit more money this way, but it could be worth it. 

I took the GRE subject biology and only regret it in hindsight because I was not pleased with my score.

There are plenty of posts here about whether or not taking GRE biology.

Here is one of the post

In short, most applicants do not take it and they are still admitted by decent schools. 

In my case, I took it because I think I myself lack of some eligibility for admission. 

BTW, I couldn't find any school which "requires" GRE biology score although many of them just "recommend" it. (It's just a rhetoric) 

There are plenty of posts here about whether or not taking GRE biology.

Here is one of the post

In short, most applicants do not take it and they are still admitted by decent schools. 

In my case, I took it because I think I myself lack of some eligibility for admission. 

BTW, I couldn't find any school which "requires" GRE biology score although many of them just "recommend" it. (It's just a rhetoric) 

The only two schools that I found that 'require' the Bio Subject test are City University of New York ('CUNY') Schools. They probably both get a lot of applicants because it's an inexpensive program and in New York City; so, it's probably an effective way to 'weed out the undesireables'.