Any news in geophysics application?

Initial J

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the decision from U of Houston, Virginia Tech, Michigan Tech and U of Wyoming geophysics PhD program. Has anyone heard anything form them? Thanks in advance.

Just got rejection from UT Austin, they said have made all the decisions for over 600 applicants, decisions are final .Please apply next year. Life sucks

Edited by Hanyuye

Just got rejection from UT Austin, they said have made all the decisions for over 600 applicants, decisions are final .Please apply next year. Life sucks

the same as you! sucks

Called VT today, I submitted my application about 10 minutes after the deadline, thinking that usually schools will accept it. But the system kicked me off (on their end, without me knowing about it) and my application was forwarded for spring admission.....What a waste of anxiety, just 10 minutes!

Called VT today, I submitted my application about 10 minutes after the deadline, thinking that usually schools will accept it. But the system kicked me off (on their end, without me knowing about it) and my application was forwarded for spring admission.....What a waste of anxiety, just 10 minutes!

That's terrible. Hopefully you will be admitted in the spring? A friend of mine is at VT's geology dept and loves it there.

Wow, the day I ask them about my status, I just got rejected from UBC. I don't understand what graduate schools need from an applicant. Math major with geology courses, interested in geophysics considering there are no schools that offer geophysics in NYC. I'm stuck here, dreaming of stars, wthhhhh???

Wow, the day I ask them about my status, I just got rejected from UBC. I don't understand what graduate schools need from an applicant. Math major with geology courses, interested in geophysics considering there are no schools that offer geophysics in NYC. I'm stuck here, dreaming of stars, wthhhhh???

Columbia has an elite geophysics degree, as I know some of the professors there  personally.  They just dont offer an MS. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Columbia has an elite geophysics degree, as I know some of the professors there  personally.  They just dont offer an MS. 

Hi GeoDude,

I know about Columbia but I'm not interested in their research which counts them out, :(. Oye Vaye.

Yayyyy, rejected from Rice with thesis! Another shot of Jack please!

Edit : Rejected for Professional masters program too! yayyy!! Tequilas on me!

Edited by Hanyuye

I'm now compiling my applications for spring semster.

Looking at:

University if Alabama

UBC

San francisco state university

University of Southern Florida

Texas Tech

L SU

UNCC

UH

Anyone know some one in these schools ? How are they?

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've had lots of help from here, I want to thank all the folks here gave me suggestions with applications.

Unforunately, I just received my last rejection from University of Oklahoma, just 1 hour before graduation ceremony. Now I'm torn as to what my application is lacking as no one ever responds to my emails in a conclusive manner and it just seems like the easiet things that everyone else does to acquire information, I have to climb Mt. Everest just for that same data.

I don't know how to approach this summer, should I apply for the spring or look for jobs in the oil and gas sector and somehow get my foot in the door? Either math majors aren't wanted anymore or I'm just not cut out for grad school.

• 2 months later...

Question, if professors don't reply any of your emails regarding your interest in their research, should I just call them instead? I used to call them but then it usually goes to voicemail than switched to email. I mean, 95% of the professors I contact never bother to respond. 

Question, if professors don't reply any of your emails regarding your interest in their research, should I just call them instead? I used to call them but then it usually goes to voicemail than switched to email. I mean, 95% of the professors I contact never bother to respond. 

You should PM me an example email you send: if it looks like a flyer they wont respond. I found it the other way my last application cycle: 95% do respond.

Question, my third recommender is up in the air. I took an advanced thermodynamics class and the professor who taught it hasn't responded to me for 2 months after 3 emails. Should I ask my manager at work instead for a recommendation? I work in a completely unrelated field and I'm mostly certain that my manager will write a very generic recommendation.

• 2 months later...

What if the professor does reply, asking you to apply, should you write back?

It depends. Do you have a reason to reply ?

If you have questions.... I would ask them, obviously.  Not that these questions should be about research, and the program, and not "what are my chances" ect.  These should be good questions, things that only he/she could answer. 

If you do not have questions, I would thank him for his response and that you will apply. 

Just make sure not to waste his/her time, professors are busy!

Hey, no, this is the PMP, they don't offer funding to anyone. It was (and still is) my back up plan if I don't get any acceptances from the other places I applied to.

Just to clarify, Rice does offer funding but not to students attending the Professional Masters program.

It depends. Do you have a reason to reply ?

If you have questions.... I would ask them, obviously. Not that these questions should be about research, and the program, and not "what are my chances" ect. These should be good questions, things that only he/she could answer.

If you do not have questions, I would thank him for his response and that you will apply.

Just make sure not to waste his/her time, professors are busy!

Question...does anyone know a thing or two about University of Wyoming geophysics program..no one ever seems to mention it.

• 3 weeks later...