what GRE test prep advice would you give someone applying to graduate school next year?

lab ratta-tat-tat

Based on your test prep process what worked for you and what didn't? What resources do you wish you knew about sooner?

Any advice is helpful, I am applying to PhD. programs next year and already studying for the GRE.

If you're taking the subject test, know what's being covered. If you can take the relevant courses just before the test (eg I took some calculus courses and algebra just before taking my math GRE), that could help a lot.

Be good at multiple choice tests. Know the structure of the exam, and probably take several practice tests to get a feel for what the exam is like. The more adept you are at filling in those bubbles quickly, the more likely you are to not have to skip anything.

As for specifics? I got nothing...

My weakest section was verbal, so I did some prep for that section. In the end, I think the most helpful was just going through and learning vocabulary. I thought Barron's Essential Words book was pretty helpful. I didn't encounter any words I didn't know after going through that book.

I started off around 155 on my practice exams and ended up getting a 168, so doing some test prep helped!

PS: the main point this guide make - which I realized is very true- is about having a system of taking notes DURING the test. a system that would both allow you to think fast AND be able to review the unanswered questions without actually re-doing/rereading them (by marking answers as yes/no/possible etc). 

I'd recommend buying Manhattans GRE Flashcards (two sets) and Kaplans Flashcards. They each have 500 cards with synonyms, and so, after mastering all three sets, you'll increase your vocabulary by 2000+ words. Similarly, read alot of esoteric articles, newspapers and books, and make your own flashcards when you come across an unknown word. There are also a few games on smartphones that you can download and play. Unfortunately, the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Magoosh's GRE Flashcards, but if you search 'GRE games' you'll find quite a handful. 

Likewise, there are games online, with my favorite one being : http://gre.tyrannosaurusprep.com/Vocabulary/Quiz-Games. 

Personally, I would start studying with 20-30 Flashcards a day, while following a study plan on Magoosh. When I started, I felt isolated with the books, and so, Magoosh was the cure with its problem solving videos, and available instructors. I'd also like to recommend that you do one practice test every two weeks, and at the end of each week, you review everything you learned (flashcards, and practice questions). 

I am in the same boat as you (just started intensive studying now for fall applications), but I have done a fair bit of research on the subject.

I took the GRE two years ago, with not much preparation, hit above the 80th percentile in verbal and essay, but did poorly with math.

I went with magoosh. They have a 6 month study plan that I like because it is structured and keeps you focused...so I agree with the above poster. This is the program I am following:

http://magoosh.com/gre/2012/6-month-gre-study-plan-for-math-beginners/

I like it so far. They have other programs that might fit other people as well, both in length and different specializations (ie, math heavy vs verbal heavy). You have to spend around $300 bucks to get all the required materials, but I feel it is definitely worth it.

Also, for vocab...I am using Anki. Basically I took all the words from Kaplan and Magoosh's flash cards and made my own. I like Anki because it is super efficient and customizeable. Once you get through the arduous (using GRE words in context FTW) task of making them yourself, you can whip through 100 flash cards every day and really nail down your vocab, which I would argue is the single most important component on the verbal section.