critique essay

dicapino

Governments should place few, if any, restrictions on scientific research and development.

Should governments place only few restrictions on scientific research and development? From the author's claim it is averred that governments should not place many restrictions on scientific research. While some persons would argue that government restrictions will stymie creativity and innovation in the field, others aver that such involvement is needed, as some of these researches create innovations that are harmful to humans. I believe government should place as much restrictions on scientific research because of the ethical and moral concerns that such innovations raise.

Firstly, some scientific researches apply practices that degrade humanity and show no reverence for human life. Such unethical methods should be restricted by government. If a research, no matter how great its prospects are, uses methods that involve using humans as test subjects or guinea pigs, it should not be approved. For instance, cloning research during the nineties would have helped humanity in the production of tissues, and organs for transplantation; furthermore, it will also have aided unfertile couples with kids. But all these gains would have been at the expense of deformed babies and the loss of lives of thousands of babies, whose vital organs could have been used for transplanting.

Furthermore, until this day one of the greatest product of scientific research is the atomic or nuclear bomb and its devastating and harmful effect was seen during world war two when it was unleashed on Japanese soil. Weapons like the atomic bomb are still been created as a result of advances in scientific research. When such weapons fall into the hands of extremists like terrorist groups they are use to cause mayhem and thousands of lives are lost. For example, mustard gas was used to kill civilians in Syria. This shows that governments must continue to place restrictions on scientific research, so as to check these kinds of atrocities.

Proponents against my position argue that unnecessary interference in scientific research would stymie the creativeness of scientists. Although innovations due to these researches are beneficial to the public, governments have a right to set standards and guidelines to govern scientific procedures and methods employed in these ventures, so that the public are not victims of any insidious scientific process.

In summary, government should place many, not few, restrictions on scientific research and development. Cloning and WMDs illustrates my assertion. Governments have an obligation to act as a watch-dog on scientific research; if scientists are allowed to be too creative, then they may take laws into their hands.

***** I think i have a problem. i timed myself, brainstormed my points in like 5 mins, then i started writing; i was able to complete the first 3 paragraphs, i wrote the other 2 paragraphs later. i am worried because i know its not a good thing. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would practice these by randomly picking the topics from ETS and writing essays in real time. I put the final period on my first essay with less than a second left, and didn't have any time to edit. I usually take exams in 1/2 or 1/3 the time of my peers but this was very different. I did well enough to get in anywhere, but if I were to focus on one part of the GRE (if I were to ever take it again), it would be time management in the AW.

It doesn't have to be correct or optimal, but it should be clearly organized, rational, and with every important contention supported.

I have been picking randomly, it is just my timing that's bad. well it looks like i will have to put more effort. Thanks for advice ,.......more effort.