Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

Colorado State: "Apparently you don't even have to apply in order to be rejected from certain schools. What a cluster F it must be over there that they're emailing people who have simply requested information that they're 'rejected'."

Lol that is awesome...Dear Colorado State, I'd like some information about your program...Dear Student, we regret to inform you...lol

This one just came up:

Massaaachusett Institute Of Technology (MIT) Economics, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 26 Feb 2014 U 26 Feb 2014
  • rejected by home school.. never expected before February 21

Not the note, but the spelling of the school... XD

I can't seem to find it, but a few years ago somebody got rejected from an ivy and under the comments said (paraphrasing), "And we can assure you, that not only are the people we did accept more intelligent, but also better looking" 

I like this short, sweet, and to the point response.

Cornell Anthropology, PhD applicant: "D'oh!"

Edit: Found another gem. It was hard to drop that much on application fees. . . 

Stanford, Modern Thought and Literature PhD: "Was it too much for an undergrad student to hope to make it to MTL? I guess with a less than 5 percent acceptance rate, I shouldn't even have tried and saved the $125 for a rave."

Edited by engphiledu

i like the dramatically sad ones the best

• Didn't even want to get in. I applied for the irony. These tears are from laughter.

• I'm not crying - I'm just cutting onions for a lasagna ... for one!
Edited by bre333

This one just came up:

Massaaachusett Institute Of Technology (MIT) Economics, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 26 Feb 2014 U 26 Feb 2014
  • rejected by home school.. never expected before February 21

Not the note, but the spelling of the school... XD

Well, I did undergrad in Massachusetts and it took me a while to consistently get it right.  During the interim I just wrote Massoftwoshits. 

I went to a different school (that is, not MIT) and it is my understanding that it is difficult for an MIT undergrad to get accepted into an MIT grad program.  Anti-nepotism of sorts, I suppose. 

Well, I did undergrad in Massachusetts and it took me a while to consistently get it right.  During the interim I just wrote Massoftwoshits. 

I went to a different school (that is, not MIT) and it is my understanding that it is difficult for an MIT undergrad to get accepted into an MIT grad program.  Anti-nepotism of sorts, I suppose. 

Still funny to me... I go to the University of Massaaachusett

Depends on the major. They'll take their own ME and CS/EE engineering students quite a bit, especially for a quick 1-1.5 extra yrs for MEng. Pursuing a PhD in life/chemical sciences and engineering there is pretty much actively discouraged. A lot of very talented MIT UGs don't even bother applying. Of course, there are always exceptions, but they can be quite rare.

The, "I'm an idiot" person actually had three posts. ):

Stanford rejection: "Such divas. Maybe I should have sent 3 copies of my transcripts instead of 2?"

Stanford rejection: "hmmm...my plans to take over the world have been set back a bit, it seems. ah well, stripping it is."

MIT rejection: "WOW. VERY FUN. MUCH REJECT."

MIT rejection: "YOLO"

Uni of Maryland: "overqualify?"

Some acceptances I liked:

"P.h.yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww"

"Hep-ex. Faced some tough rejections, X-Files got me through it all."

"Feelin' macho"

"Dr. Sheldon Cooper!!! I am coming!!! Are you ready for a duel with a god? here I am, your rneternal rival! WOW"

"HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! OMSDFNASIDFNSADIFSADFASDFSADF *Keeping my cool*"

Repping the Canadian front!

A U of T Creative Writing rejection (via postal service) from 2009: "To ensure their rejection would land enough punch, they addressed me as Ms. instead of Mr."

A rejection for U of T Philosophy from 2007: "I don't want to become a Canuck anyway".

Ouch dude.

This other person (who, granted, got accepted) has the right idea (U of T Econ 2009): "Canuckonomist!"

Yah!

There's a playful little back-and-forth on the UBC page for Architecture from 2010.

One person with a rejection wrote something to the effect of: "Well, I guess I'll go with plan B and sell ice cream"

and then another rejected person wrote: "I will be joining my friend in their ice-cream selling endeavour". (Side note: that's not a bad plan B! Canada is cold, but we still like our ice cream!).

BUT THEN there's a late acceptance (April 2010) for Architecture at U of T where someone wrote only: "Does anyone want my ice cream truck?! I won't be needing it anymore!"

That's awesome! Nice to know that the story for at least one of those applicants had a happy ending!

Edited by surefire

I actually do kind of understand those ones where people list having all these crazy qualifications and act surprised at the outcome.... some people really are very qualified to be in graduate school and it can be frustrating when one has worked so hard to prepare for grad school and dumped thousands into application expenses and interview travel expenses only to get globally wait listed and even some rejections, especially if it happens over more than one cycle.  I have seen underqualified people get admitted and highly qualified people fall through the cracks.  The process can be brutal.  Usually when I see those more than anything I feel sorry, as it essentially eludes that they were qualified to be there and still didn't make the cut.

A lot of the other ones are pretty funny, though.

• I also got a root canal today.

Ouch.

• it is a wrong decision to apply this school. don't do that

• I think applying to this university is a wrong decision, most students have been rejected, just they say that competition is strong without any further reasons. is there anyone who has been accepted ?!

at same school. hmmm wonder if someone's posting twice?

also, love this one. short, sweet and to the point. mine will probably look like this:

• blegargh...
Edited by roguesenna

Rutgers: "I unclog my nose in your general direction, RU!"

LOL! Nice almost Monty Python quote! Loving it.

University of Denver: "Who needs those dirty hippies anyway!!"

This one make me laugh mostly because DU as a school is actually fairly conservative. Denver as a city is liberal, but the University not so much.

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm originally from Colorado and my sister went to DU for her undergrad. She was constantly frustrated by the politics at the school.

Edited by DidacticPrinter

Saint Rose Speech Pathology, Masters (F14): 3.6 undergrad, research experience, field experience, excellent letters of reccomendation. Excuse me while I go back to my post-college retail job and cry into this bottle of arbor mist.