Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

"What the shit!? Double major in EE and Physics, 3.99 U-GPA, Masters in EE, 4.0 GPA. 1 Patent, 1 publication in high impact journal, 1 other submitted, 2.5 years of professional experience at fortune 500 company, 4 strong LOR, several professional certifications, bunch of awards...WTF does this school want!?!?!? The corrupt nature of American universities...All about connections and money...typical"

Another person listing all the qualifications they can think of. Always amusing.

I would be all about potions, but I'm honestly more of a Hogwarts girl.

Let's get this thread back to Harry Potter-related topics! I would prefer Hogwarts too (I heard Scotland is gorgeous) but I'm all about Charms. Seriously, I would be such a good Ravenclaw.

Let's get this thread back to Harry Potter-related topics! I would prefer Hogwarts too (I heard Scotland is gorgeous) but I'm all about Charms. Seriously, I would be such a good Ravenclaw.

Hmm, if we aren't trying to correlate our RL fields to our magical ones, I suspect I'd be good at Charms, too. A little DADA wouldn't hurt, but I'd thrive in Hufflepuff :D

Hmm, if we aren't trying to correlate our RL fields to our magical ones, I suspect I'd be good at Charms, too. A little DADA wouldn't hurt, but I'd thrive in Hufflepuff :D

Definitely potions mastery would be my goal. I'd also want to get NEWTs in Charms, Transfig, CoMC, Herbology (lets face it, Herb & CoMC would probably be required for Potions mastery) and DADA would just make sense as a skill to have. I'd also try to find someone to tutor me in Occlumency/Legillimency.

Also, Hogwarts would be my top choice, but I'd apply to the Salem Witches Institute as a backup.

Oh, And:

Email asking me to check website. Foolish mortals.

Edited by roguesenna

I'd definitely want to take potions, transfiguration (who wouldn't want to be an animagus??) and herbology. Being good at charms and DADA seems like a smart call, but I'd rather specialize in another area and let other people be the aurors. Oh, and Ravenclaw for sure. I'm afraid of snakes so screw Slytheryn.

(In honour of this thread, I pulled my copy of The Goblet of Fire down from the bookshelf and started rereading it. I'm already 200 pages in.... :D )

Definitely potions mastery would be my goal. I'd also want to get NEWTs in Charms, Transfig, CoMC, Herbology (lets face it, Herb & CoMC would probably be required for Potions mastery) and DADA would just make sense as a skill to have. I'd also try to find someone to tutor me in Occlumency/Legillimency.

Also, Hogwarts would be my top choice, but I'd apply to the Salem Witches Institute as a backup.

Oh, And:

It's muggles. Muggles, damn it!

Actually on second thought, witches and wizards are not immortal, so muggles can't be the equivalence of mortals. Wrong mythology.

Oh, And:

I don't know why but I've never been interested in Transfiguration. DADA for sure, both because it's practical and because I love Professor Lupin too damn much. I would minor in Potions I think, but I suspect I wouldn't be very good at it because you're right, one should be good at Herbology and CoMC too, and I don't enjoy either gardening or taking or are of animals in real life. And no mind reading stuff for me. I never want to know.

NOT a funny rejection, but one that is absolutely heartbreaking.  This is a student with excellent GRE scores and a killer GPA who wrote:

I should just kill myself

Whoever you are, just know that I wanted to reach through my screen and give you the biggest hug ever.  This process is a killer, but please remember that this school's rejection does not determine your worth!  

That statement may have sounded cliche or cheesy to the point where it needed nachos to go with it, but EVERYONE should remember it!  Just because you didn't fit a program's standards does not mean you're worthless.

Now, this person's statement could have been completely sarcastic.  If so, then I'm sorry for getting all sappy!

I just want to share this in light of the Harry Potter focus. 

One semester in Undergrad, I had Professor Moody for Orgo, and I was supposed to have Professor Lockhart for Microbiology (Pathogenic microbes = dark arts, obviously). However, Dr. Lockhart had a stroke and was unable to teach the class due to... memory problems.

Yes, I went to Hogwarts.  

Edited by Nautiloid

MIT Computer Science Phd rejection Quote: 

Probably overqualified

That was one of my favs. I saw what he wrote first, then I looked to the left and saw his school...I couldn't stop laughing.

You know,maybe some are really actually over qualified. Schools accept people who have some learning to do. If you're already so successful and good at what you do, maybe you don't actually need school as much as the next guy!

Totally true. Why go to grad school to learn more if you think you know everything? Personality is also important. If they seem difficult to work with, most PIs don't have the time to deal with such problems.

"Rejected b/c they already reached their minority student quota. Also, I don't meet the demographics of the program. I'm not white or rich enough. Look at program site if you doubt me."

I find this particularly amusing because I applied to the same school (not the same program), and the prompt for one of the essays I had to write was the following: 

The University of X is committed to a diverse and inclusive graduate student population. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives that arise from differences in race, culture, religion, mental or physical capabilities, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation, and other characteristics. The University of X values diversity because it enhances the educational experience, the workplace, and services to the public provided by this campus. Discuss how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Please include any educational, cultural, economic, family or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey.

"Rejected b/c they already reached their minority student quota. Also, I don't meet the demographics of the program. I'm not white or rich enough. Look at program site if you doubt me."

I find this particularly amusing because I applied to the same school (not the same program), and the prompt for one of the essays I had to write was the following: 

The University of X is committed to a diverse and inclusive graduate student population. Diversity refers to the variety of experiences and perspectives that arise from differences in race, culture, religion, mental or physical capabilities, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation, and other characteristics. The University of X values diversity because it enhances the educational experience, the workplace, and services to the public provided by this campus. Discuss how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Please include any educational, cultural, economic, family or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey.

Is it UCSF? I had to write something very similar to UCSB, albeit it's a different program too.

Is it UCSF? I had to write something very similar to UCSB, albeit it's a different program too.

Yeah, it was UCSF.

UIUC Economics PhD: MSc GPA: 3.92 HaHaHaHaHa!! All of them are JorsummmmmZZZZZZJjjjj!!! Did he/she just cast a spell on the AdComm?

I just laughed out loud at that rejection message and your comment while waiting at the hairdresser's. That made my day, and that's saying something cause I'm treating myself to wings later.