SJSU MSW Fall 2014

LAKingsMaverick

Sup Guys,

Just trying to find out if anybody else on here has applied to San Jose State's MSW program for this fall? I just checked my application status today and it changed from "complete" to "referred to grad department" which I'm assuming means I've gotten into the school itself but now I have to get into the MSW program. So that's kind of exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time! Hope to hear from some of you! 

-Maverick

I also applied to Tulane, Loyola-Chicago, BU, UT-San Antonio, and George Mason University. How about yourself? I'm really hoping I'm not waiting until mid April because they said they would start sending out acceptance/rejection letters in the first week of March. Tulane and SJSU are my top 2 choices. They may not necessarily be the best programs but the locations of both those schools are just amazing and those are the areas I would want to be. 

I basically applied to all of my schools based on location, not necessarily program ranking.

Where else did you apply? 

Edited by LAKingsMaverick

So I just checked my application status today and while it's still classified as "referred to grad department" there have been 3 new notices that have popped up on my "To Do List" that all deal with financial stuff and final transcripts. So maybe that's a good sign?! 

I see Student Certification, Transcript With Degree Posted, and Over Loan Limit. The last one is probably due to the heavy student loan burden that I have. But it makes me feel positive to see more things being added to the to do list! 

Hello all,

I applied to SJSU for an MSW for Fall 2014. My application status says that it's referred to the graduate department. I am getting kind of worried..Has anyone here heard anything from SJSU?

thanks!

Hello all,

I applied to SJSU for an MSW for Fall 2014. My application status says that it's referred to the graduate department. I am getting kind of worried..Has anyone here heard anything from SJSU?

thanks!

Hi Jazziegirl! 

I haven't heard anything yet, and it's driving me crazzzzy. 

But, like I said in a previous post, my friend who got in last year didn't hear until April 16th, so I don't think it's uncommon or a bad sign that we haven't!

Sending you patience. Not that I have any!

Hi Jazziegirl! 

I haven't heard anything yet, and it's driving me crazzzzy. 

But, like I said in a previous post, my friend who got in last year didn't hear until April 16th, so I don't think it's uncommon or a bad sign that we haven't!

Sending you patience. Not that I have any!

Thanks! I really apprecite it. I looked on instagram and hashtagged SJSU, and saw that somoeone found out they were admitted via mysjsu. But it was for a different program! So maybe we all can keep checking mysjsu and they will update there first? Just a guess :)

Good luck to you too!

I've applied to SJSU as well, the website just says "referred to grad department".  :wacko: At least my application made it through, lol. 

So I have a friend who is currently attending their MSW program. I remember when she was first admitted, the main director of the program Barry Goldman gave her a phone call letting her know she is accepted. So this could be the case this year as well. 

I've applied to SJSU as well, the website just says "referred to grad department".  :wacko: At least my application made it through, lol. 

So I have a friend who is currently attending their MSW program. I remember when she was first admitted, the main director of the program Barry Goldman gave her a phone call letting her know she is accepted. So this could be the case this year as well. 

Thanks for the info!!! Do you remember what day and time she received the call- that would give us a better idea on when to expect his call :D

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I got a call from Director Goldman around noon today from SJSU.  I am accepted to the 2 year health/mental health program.  Yay!  I almost didn't pick up the call because it's Sunday and I thought it was spam!  Director Goldman said he already made 10+ calls to other students who are also admitted for Fall 2014.  He informed me the phone call was just "congratulatory", and that we would be receiving emails too.  Immediately after, I received the admissions email.

For those of you still waiting, he told me that it's still early in the admissions process, so don't fret if you don't hear from him immediately!  He said it was competitive this year, because 400+ applicants are vying for 100 spots.  I'm still waiting on other applications so I haven't formally accepted the offer just yet, but it's very tempting!  Good luck to you all!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I got a call from Director Goldman around noon today from SJSU.  I am accepted to the 2 year health/mental health program.  Yay!  I almost didn't pick up the call because it's Sunday and I thought it was spam!  Director Goldman said he already made 10+ calls to other students who are also admitted for Fall 2014.  He informed me the phone call was just "congratulatory", and that we would be receiving emails too.  Immediately after, I received the admissions email.

For those of you still waiting, he told me that it's still early in the admissions process, so don't fret if you don't hear from him immediately!  He said it was competitive this year, because 400+ applicants are vying for 100 spots.  I'm still waiting on other applications so I haven't formally accepted the offer just yet, but it's very tempting!  Good luck to you all!

Congrats!! Do you recall when you submitted your entire application to SJSU?

I submitted mine on the very last day! Haven't heard anything =/

Congrats!! Do you recall when you submitted your entire application to SJSU?

I submitted mine on the very last day! Haven't heard anything =/

Thanks! 

I submitted my personal statement on the last day, early in the morning.  My references told me they submitted their letters sometime during the last week.  I don't think it matters when you submitted your application to the department, since they are not on a rolling basis.  As long as your SJSU status says "refered to grad department", they will be looking at your application.  If it doesn't, then they aren't.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Thanks! 

I submitted my personal statement on the last day, early in the morning.  My references told me they submitted their letters sometime during the last week.  I don't think it matters when you submitted your application to the department, since they are not on a rolling basis.  As long as your SJSU status says "refered to grad department", they will be looking at your application.  If it doesn't, then they aren't.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...

My app still stays referred to graduate department. Has anyone's status changed to admitted?

My status is also "referred to graduate department".  I don't think it will change unless the student formally accepts the offer, or if the department rejects the student..

My status is also "referred to graduate department".  I don't think it will change unless the student formally accepts the offer, or if the department rejects the student..

Yeah I assume that but has anyone heard from SJSU recently? Are they still picking their students? Or are they full?

I'm currently an undergraduate Social Work student at SJSU and applied for the MSW program. They are still notifying people and the front office told me that we would probably not start hearing back until April. One of my Professors is reviewing the applications and he told me that Barry Goldman-Hall just had hip surgery so this might delay things a bit. I think the most important thing would be to confirm that they received all of your packet and then we just sit back and wait. Best of luck to all of you! Hoping to meet you all in Fall!

I'm currently an undergraduate Social Work student at SJSU and applied for the MSW program. They are still notifying people and the front office told me that we would probably not start hearing back until April. One of my Professors is reviewing the applications and he told me that Barry Goldman-Hall just had hip surgery so this might delay things a bit. I think the most important thing would be to confirm that they received all of your packet and then we just sit back and wait. Best of luck to all of you! Hoping to meet you all in Fall!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your thoughtful insight and information.