SJSU MSW Fall 2014

LAKingsMaverick

I'm currently an undergraduate Social Work student at SJSU and applied for the MSW program. They are still notifying people and the front office told me that we would probably not start hearing back until April. One of my Professors is reviewing the applications and he told me that Barry Goldman-Hall just had hip surgery so this might delay things a bit. I think the most important thing would be to confirm that they received all of your packet and then we just sit back and wait. Best of luck to all of you! Hoping to meet you all in Fall!

Hi Cindy2207,  thanks for the info!  I have a few more questions I'm hoping you (or anyone else with the knowledge) can answer.  Since you're a current SJSU student, I was wondering if you could post some thoughts about the campus, surroundings, student life, and traffic situation around SJSU? Also, how supportive of students are the faculty in the social work dept?  Do you feel your time at SJSU was well-invested?  Since you applied for the MSW program, what did you like about the school that prompted you to do so.  Any dislikes?  Sorry if that was a mouthful, I'll truly appreciate your response!!

Hey y'all... I just received the call from Barry Goldman-Hall congratulating me on my admission. I can't believe it! Wow. I'm still processing. I'm on the wait list for UC Berkeley, so nothing is set in stone yet, but feeling very relieved to know I will be starting graduate school in the Fall no matter what. 

I wasn't able to pick up the phone as I'm at work, so wasn't able to get any more info for you guys. Just know that if you're still waiting there is still hope! Also, it still says "referred to grad department" in mySJSU, so apparently obsessively checking in was pointless (which I knew, but couldn't help myself). 

I also got accepted to the MSW at SJSU for Fall 2014!! I had received a private call which i forwarded because I was busy which i regret because I'm assuming it was the congratulatory call but no voice message was left. Instead, an email was sent to me!!

"Dear Diana,

Please be informed that your application to our MSW Program for Fall 2014 admission has been reviewed, and that we are offering you a spot in our 2-year program with your chosen Field of Practice; Children, Youth, and Families. Congratulations, and we look forward to you joining us!  Please confirm (preferably via email) your intent to enroll with us, and I will process your official admission through the University.  You will receive further information from us later in the Spring, but please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further questions.

Barry Goldman-Hall, LCSW
MSW Admissions Director
School of Social Work
San Jose State University"

I emailed immediately, receiving a response immediately.!!!

I'm soooooo HAPPY!!

Hey y'all... I just received the call from Barry Goldman-Hall congratulating me on my admission. I can't believe it! Wow. I'm still processing. I'm on the wait list for UC Berkeley, so nothing is set in stone yet, but feeling very relieved to know I will be starting graduate school in the Fall no matter what. 

I wasn't able to pick up the phone as I'm at work, so wasn't able to get any more info for you guys. Just know that if you're still waiting there is still hope! Also, it still says "referred to grad department" in mySJSU, so apparently obsessively checking in was pointless (which I knew, but couldn't help myself). 

I also got accepted to the MSW at SJSU for Fall 2014!! I had received a private call which i forwarded because I was busy which i regret because I'm assuming it was the congratulatory call but no voice message was left. Instead, an email was sent to me!!

"Dear Diana,

Please be informed that your application to our MSW Program for Fall 2014 admission has been reviewed, and that we are offering you a spot in our 2-year program with your chosen Field of Practice; Children, Youth, and Families. Congratulations, and we look forward to you joining us!  Please confirm (preferably via email) your intent to enroll with us, and I will process your official admission through the University.  You will receive further information from us later in the Spring, but please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further questions.

Barry Goldman-Hall, LCSW

MSW Admissions Director

School of Social Work

San Jose State University"

I emailed immediately, receiving a response immediately.!!!

I'm soooooo HAPPY!!

Congrats to you both! Do you mind telling me when you submitted your apps? 

@guyinshortsallday

I turned in my complete MSW application to SJSU on the VERY LAST day, which was Friday, January 24th around 4pm.

Ah! Thank you! I am glad that they are not basing it on quality and not on the premise of submission time. 

Hopefully, I will be in the same category!

I just called the department and they said that applications are still being processed--I'm hoping to receive a call soon!

Yaaaay! Thanks for calling! I hope we both get a call soon! :)

Barry Goldman-Hall emailed me on April 3rd with a congratulatory email into the MSW program.

As of today, 04/07, my SJSU application status changed to:

The status of your application is:

Accepted-Classified Graduate

• 2 weeks later...

I sent Barry Goldman-Hall an e-mail inquiring about the status of my application a couple of days ago, and he wrote "Your application is complete and in review." My guess is those of us who have not yet heard back have been wait-listed. If that's the case, then we still have a chance to be admitted. I hope we are!

Finally accepted my offer to enroll at SJ! I look forward to meeting those of you who will also be attending, for those of you still waiting good luck!