2014 Official Decision Thread V.2

Sociolite

I officially accepted an offer from UC Davis (surprised? You shouldn't be :P). I knew it was my top choice and that was confirmed for me at the recruitment event. It is a relatively newish program, but I really like the direction the department seems to be heading. They recognize the things they need to work on and are making concerted efforts toward their sociology department being the best it can be. Funding was my only issue and the one thing that made me question going there but I was able to work it out so I accepted!

Now to find an apartment....ugh.

I officially accepted an offer from UC Davis (surprised? You shouldn't be :P). I knew it was my top choice and that was confirmed for me at the recruitment event. It is a relatively newish program, but I really like the direction the department seems to be heading. They recognize the things they need to work on and are making concerted efforts toward their sociology department being the best it can be. Funding was my only issue and the one thing that made me question going there but I was able to work it out so I accepted!

Now to find an apartment....ugh.

congrats! it looks like a great department. Davis is a super fun town. definitely get a bike and hit up the farmers market! 

Yayyy Maleficent!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Finding an apartment isn't fun (I found one, and the first payment for three months is due in July ... way before I get my stipend! looks like a lot of work this spring/summer haha), but once you DO find it, it'll be great to finally settle in!!

congrats! it looks like a great department. Davis is a super fun town. definitely get a bike and hit up the farmers market!

Thanks! It was nice to meet you. Good luck making your decision!

Edited by Maleficent999

99.9% certain I'll be attending University of Florida since I've already gotten all my rejections and said no to my one waitlist and one other acceptance. Guess I'll be staying at my alma mater! Nothing fancy, but I got a great assistantship so I'm happy. Besides, at least I already know the area very well. Already picking out an apartment closer to campus!

Time has been going by faster since receiving most of the decisions. August is only five month away! I'm ready to start and get out of working crappy jobs. (Then again, being a grad student probably sounds like a crappy job too, but, you know.)

Nice to see everyone making their decisions and ending up at awesome places. Congrats! You made it.

Since I was on campus already, I printed out the stuff I was supposed to give to the grad department, signed it, and turned it in. And it so happened both of the graduate coordinator and the person who does the finances was there, and they were excited enough about me making it official that the coordinator asked if she could give me a hug. So that was cool! And I found out through her that my POI would be interested in working with me (though nothing made official yet, it's good to know, since only so many people can work with each professor).

So that was nice. I was just expecting to leave it in a mailbox.

• 2 weeks later...

I officially accepted my offer from York University! It was a difficult decision because I received better funding from another school but ultimately, I opted from the much shorter commute. I think that will give me a better quality of life. Anyway, it was an enormous relief to finally make a decision. 

Thank you all for the amazing information and support and good luck!

Accepted the offer at Northwestern! So excited!

It's nice to have that off of my mind. 

For those on waitlists, that frees up a spot at: Ohio State, Indiana U, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Penn State.

Congrats to all those accepting offers and good luck for those still waiting or deciding!