University of Chicago 2014

csphdapplicant

I've decided to go to UChicago for phd in computer science theory. Is anybody else planning to go to UChicago this fall?

I'm getting a stipend of $27,500 per year. Will this be enough for living in Chicago?

I'm also looking for housing. Does anybody know how is the graduate student housing in UChicago ?

http://rp.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/index.shtml

Edited by csphdapplicant

Hi! I just accepted my admission letter from U of Chicago..Nice to meet you. I applied to Neuroscience program and the stipend level is similar. Based on the conversation I had with current graduate students, they do feel rich. I don't know if that will be true for everyone though.

I'll be starting in September too, PhD Ethnomusicology on a $26k stipend. I'll be attending the department's prospective student day next month where hopefully there will be a chance to get more info about the practicalities of living in Chicago. From what I gather, you can rent a decent 1 bed in Hyde Park for $1000/month which is about the same as grad housing. I'm going to budget on that kind of scale and look for off-campus housing. 

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies.

Hey guys, I'm enrolling as a grad student this fall in the Department of Ecology and Evolution. Nice to meet yall. Do you guys intend to live on or off-campus?

I'm planning to live on-campus in grad student housing. Any idea which ones are good?

Hi there, I am an admitted grad student..and I am planning to live on-campus in grad student housing,too. Shall I find the roommate by myself? Or it is set by the school?

Hey, looks like I'll be at Chicago with y'all. I'm headed to the Divinity School for an ma, focus on buddhist philosophy.

Just waiting to see if one more school gives me more funding, or else I'm all Hyde Park!

Hi there, I am an admitted grad student..and I am planning to live on-campus in grad student housing,too. Shall I find the roommate by myself? Or it is set by the school?

I think you can choose a roommate yourself, if you want ,else the they will set you one. It's better to contact them and ask them about it.

@helenab I am not from the Chicago area-- I'm from DC! I'm balancing a 20k offer from the Duke University Nicholas School of the Environment, for a Masters in Environmental Management. I'm trying to see if I can possibly get a little more aid from Chicago, because it's really expensive, but I really can't see myself going anywhere else! What about you-- other MPP programs?

Hi! I was accepted to the M.A. in Middle Eastern Studies :-) Anyone else? Really excited, but still hesitating between this programme and a similar at Oxford...

Apparently, once we accept the offer, we should receive an email explaining in details all the documents we need to satisfy the requirements for the I-20 or DS-2019 forms and how to submit them to the faculty. Once this is done, they have to send the form by mail, so it might take a while to get to us (between 2 weeks - 1 month, but might be even longer!). In any case, we can't apply for a visa more than 120 days before the beginning of the programme, so there is still time  :)

Hey guys, I went to UChicago and am happy to answer any questions re...anything. (Heading off to grad school somewhere else)

Housing!

DO NOT live in UChicago housing. Get an apartment on your own. It's very easy. There are a number of options:

1) MAC property management

2) independent (look at Trulia.com)

3) Marketplace (uchicago only site, with adverts, can get furniture and stuff too!)

Do not live south of campus.

Do not live west of Ellis Avenue

There are two markets: Hyde Park Produce (54th/Woodlawn) and Treasure Island (55th/Lake Park). If you don't have a car, it is in your best interest to live near one these. We had 80 inches of snow this year. 

There is no reason to live on campus unless you're an undergrad in your first year or two. 

A studio/1bd will cost you $700-1200. 

If you can have a car, it's really nice.

Chicago is very cheap comparatively to other cities (Boston, NY, San Fran, LA...), but it's still a city. There is tons and tons of amazing cheap food around. Take advantage. 

Do not ever walk alone at night. 

Hannah 

UChicago '13

Hey guys, I went to UChicago and am happy to answer any questions re...anything. (Heading off to grad school somewhere else)

Housing!

DO NOT live in UChicago housing. Get an apartment on your own. It's very easy. There are a number of options:

1) MAC property management

2) independent (look at Trulia.com)

3) Marketplace (uchicago only site, with adverts, can get furniture and stuff too!)

Do not live south of campus.

Do not live west of Ellis Avenue

There are two markets: Hyde Park Produce (54th/Woodlawn) and Treasure Island (55th/Lake Park). If you don't have a car, it is in your best interest to live near one these. We had 80 inches of snow this year. 

There is no reason to live on campus unless you're an undergrad in your first year or two. 

A studio/1bd will cost you $700-1200. 

If you can have a car, it's really nice.

Chicago is very cheap comparatively to other cities (Boston, NY, San Fran, LA...), but it's still a city. There is tons and tons of amazing cheap food around. Take advantage. 

Do not ever walk alone at night. 

Hannah 

UChicago '13

Hey Hannah

Thanks for the input! If you don't mind me asking whats wrong with Uchicago graduate housing? Thanks. 

hey!

It looks like we're switching places (I'm going to IU next year haha). Basically you're paying more money for worse housing. There is no advantage to it. The landlords/locations/etc are better than the "official" housing and cheaper. It's just a way for them to get more money from you.

Accepted my place this morning :D Kind of cool to learn that international students can get a J1 visa, I was expecting to have to get an F1.