Anybody here attend(ed) Scripps?

reeses_pieces

Hi all! 

I think I'm headed off to Scripps Institution of Oceanography next year- I've heard great things but wanted to see if anybody on this forum is currently attending or has in the past. 

I just want to know how you've liked your time there, what the atmosphere is like, or any other tips and general advice. I'm really anxious to start my research and relocate over there! 

Thanks in advance! 

All I can say is that my boss went there and he loved it. They expect their students to do great things, so it's a ton of work, but you'll get a great education. Plus, apparently you're right on the beach and the grad students go surfing all the time. Congrats again on the acceptance!!

All I can say is that my boss went there and he loved it. They expect their students to do great things, so it's a ton of work, but you'll get a great education. Plus, apparently you're right on the beach and the grad students go surfing all the time. Congrats again on the acceptance!!

Thanks! I'm a bit nervous for the workload but I hope its manageable! I know getting a PhD is a crazy amount of work in general so it seems a little daunting. I'm guessing since your boss has a job it turned out well for him haha.

Edited by reeses_pieces

Haha that's one way to think of it! Some of my professors at WHOI were also from Scripps. They met there and got married and now they have nice jobs researching physical ocenography. All 3 complained a bit about the workload but agree that it was necessary and definitely don't regret the experience. Few people get the opportunity to study at Scripps, so yeah they're going to be expecting a lot. But the committee obviously felt you could handle it and excell, so don't worry about it. Congrats again!!

The only people I know who attended Scripps did so for marine biology or biological oceanography.  It's pretty much the best in the world. Or at least in the top 2 for sure.  I passed up applying this year, yet went for MIT/WHOI.  If I am rejected everywhere, turn down my offers for what-ever-reason, or get into a Master's program, I plan to apply to Scripps in the future.  

Not really sure about the "culture" around campus.  

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, it is VERY hard to be a Masters student at Scripps. My research of it and discussions with profs basically tell me that they give no funding or opportunities to make money to MS students. Better to do a PhD there.