Decision Thread 2014

daykid

I thought waiting for decisions was a challenge. But deciding on which offer to accept, if any, is even worse.

My partner and I were both admitted to the same school. But I have offers at two other schools, one of which is a top school. What do we do? We're still waiting for the funding numbers on the school were were both admitted to - so we have to see. But studying together in the same place is a dream of mine. If they give us both enough at the mutual school would I be crazy to turn down my great offer at a top school?

Serious thinking to do. Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Do you know if the top school that accepted you would be willing to let you live somewhere else during the dissertation stage of your PhD? That would significantly reduce the amount of time you and your partner would spend apart. If you are considering studying at the university he has been accepted at, you could even make a case that they have resources you would need for your research. Is co-supervision at all a possibility between both unis? What anthopologygeek said makes sense up to a point; however, you have more chances of being able to pick and choose where you want to work after your PhD if you get the best education possible at the best school for your subfield, thereby increasing your chances of ending up in the same city. 

I hope you find a compromise that will make you both happy! 

Canis - this is something I have been dealing with in the app process too, but in a different way. It was a struggle to decide if I should apply to all the best schools for me or if I should apply for a school near my fiancé. Luckily for me, I found an excellent school that is near my fiancé. It may not be my dream school, or the absolute top school I could get into, but it is still a great opportunity. I'm really happy with it and I think the compromise is completely worth it.

I think there is a lot of pressure to go to the absolute best school regardless of relationships. Most phd students I know are single and put their education first. While that is a completely valid option, I personally feel that having my SO there to support me is going to bolster my success as a student. Sometimes being away from the ones you love can put a lot more stress on you in an already stressful time.

I've been making a pro & con list for my top two schools, it's really helpful, I've also been thinking of 'what ifs' to try and stretch my understanding of my motivations and get a clearer picture of where my instincts are coming from - like:

"What if I didn't have to worry about prestige?"

"What if my SO wasn't a consideration?"

"What if the funding was exactly the same?"

"What if the schools switched places, would that change things?"

"What if they were both in the same city?"

"What if I was 90, on my deathbead and looking back, what would I think?"

"What if my POI left, got fired, retired, moved away, passed away, how would the department look to me?"

I'm the king of 'overthinking' decisions - and so I'm making endless lists also.

Right now I'm working on a list comparing the faculty at both schools, how many men/women/etc., where their degrees are from (your networks), where they are in their careers.

Next a list comparing the grad students in the programs....

Agreed with sarab - well said! When I was deciding between my top 2 choices, the second, third, & seventh questions really cleared things up for me.

So glad this thread is going - there is lots of great advice here!

One of my schools wants an answer this week, and it's really throwing me off. I really enjoyed my visit there and I'm excited about that program. I feel like if I had 5 more weeks (until April 15) to think about it, that may well be where I would go, but I'm having trouble coming to a decision now. I just heard back from one school this weekend and my brain hasn't really switched into decision mode yet.

I'm going to try and take some of the advice on here and think/talk through those 'what if' questions. If anyone else has any good ways to decide or good questions to ask of potential programs/advisers, I'd love to hear them.

Why do they want an answer so quickly?! Not very considerate

Just email them and tell them that you really need to a few more weeks, they will give it to you. My friend had a deadline of the 28th and they extended that for him. It's really odd that they all agree to the 15th and yet play these games.  But, I think they'll gladly give you the extension.

Ok everyone, I need your help. I'm going to assume for now that I'm not going to get in to any of the other programs I applied to, so right now my challenge is deciding between two programs at the same university.

Here's my issue:

Program 1: 

- Traditional anthropology program (focusing on medical anthropology)

- Overall less funding 

- No guaranteed TA position which means that the funding they would give me isn't tied to work, but I would also prefer to have TA experience as I apply to PhD programs this fall

- Guaranteed supervisor who has been amazing - she let me know when I was admitted (weeks before the offer itself arrived), has been communicative throughout the process, and is supposed to be a great professor in general. She's doing work in a field I'm very interested in.

- Average reputation (within Canada only) - the program is relatively well-known, but the school itself is best known for its medical school and sciences, not social sciences

- Relatively large cohort of graduate students

Program 2:

- Interdisciplinary program (globalization studies)

- More funding overall, most of which is tied to a TA position

- The program invites students to design their own program of study: they offer courses, but also let students take any course offered at the university (with permission from the other department)

- I would have to find my own supervisor, but I would be able to work with any willing professor currently working at the university 

- Better than average reputation - the program is relatively new (10 years old), but it's one of the first of its kind, and there's regularly a series of visiting scholars who are excited to come and study/teach at the school 

- Small cohort of MA students only (there is no PhD program)

Since both programs are at the same school, then none of the city-specific issues that often arise when making these decisions affect me. Right now, the only issues I'm struggling with are the nature of the program that I want to take, and the funding offered. Do any of you have any insight into interdisciplinary programs and PhD application prospects? I asked the program director about that and they said they have a lot of success placing graduates into well-regarded PhD programs (but he didn't offer any specifics). 

I would feel really bad if I turned down either offer - the advisor I would be working with for Program 1 has been amazing, and the director of Program 2 took a lot of time to try to convince me that his program was right for me. 

Anyway - I would love any insight all of you could provide! I will be cross-posting this in the "Interdisciplinary programs" section (FYI to all mods!)

Edited by Kaitri

Something that has been repeated to me at my visits is that we shouldn't feel bad to say no to a program or an adviser. Nor should we lose touch with a would have been adviser if we choose to go somewhere else. Sometimes it is hard to remember that these professors are people too and understand that we have to choose what is right for us. They get it and they will still be our colleagues some day, no matter where we end up. That made me feel a bit better about the decision process.

Thanks Daykid!  That's great to keep in mind. I've met some great faculty, students, and perspective students (including grad cafe members!) at various places over the past couples months and I should try and channel how excited I am to be starting my PhD in this community next year, rather than stressing.

Kait- I personally would choose option 1 based on what you said. They had to convince you the interdisciplinary degree was right for you versus you knew the anthropology route is a fit for you. Same school means same reputation for anthro phd programs and TAing is over rated in master programs since your have plenty of time to ta in the phd program you choose.

Kait, I have to echo Anthropologygeek.  I didn't get in anywhere this cycle, and from the feedback I've gotten, a lot of the resistance I got has to do with having an interdisciplinary background (BA and MA).  I'm not saying interdisciplinarity is bad, per say, but that an anthro MA might get your further when you apply for the PhD. 

Ditto - though there are students at the schools I was admitted to with MAs from other disciplines, they are the exception. I have a multi-disciplinary BA, but anthro MA. I think most programs require you to take extra courses if you don't have an anthro MA, so they're less likely to see it as an easy admit.

I have been accepted into the USF MA program for Anthropology and the Chicago MAPSS program. The USF program is offering me full tuition coverage, a teaching assistant position, and a research assistant position. Chicago MAPSS is offering half tuition. I am having a hard time deciding between the programs because one is very well funded/personalized/specific (USF) and one is more general but at a prestigious university. I plan on pursuing a PhD in anthropology after attending either one of these programs. Any opinions?

I have been accepted into the USF MA program for Anthropology and the Chicago MAPSS program. The USF program is offering me full tuition coverage, a teaching assistant position, and a research assistant position. Chicago MAPSS is offering half tuition. I am having a hard time deciding between the programs because one is very well funded/personalized/specific (USF) and one is more general but at a prestigious university. I plan on pursuing a PhD in anthropology after attending either one of these programs. Any opinions?

If it were me, I would pick USF.. the money and teaching/research experience is invaluable, IMO. Also, if you are in a personalized program, you will have better LORs later for your PhD. 

If it were me, I would pick USF.. the money and teaching/research experience is invaluable, IMO. Also, if you are in a personalized program, you will have better LORs later for your PhD. 

I am thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input!

Kaitri - I know a lot of anthropology departments allow for interdisciplinary work within the department, so maybe you can ask! But I agree with the other folks: option 1 is better.

Byronichero - The USF offer sounds really great and well-rounded. The opportunities it offers would probably allow you to get into a PhD program later regardless of prestige. From what I know, USF is a good program.

Congrats on your acceptances and best of luck to both of you!

Ok everyone, I need your help. I'm going to assume for now that I'm not going to get in to any of the other programs I applied to, so right now my challenge is deciding between two programs at the same university.

Here's my issue:

Program 1: 

- Traditional anthropology program (focusing on medical anthropology)

- Overall less funding 

- No guaranteed TA position which means that the funding they would give me isn't tied to work, but I would also prefer to have TA experience as I apply to PhD programs this fall

- Guaranteed supervisor who has been amazing - she let me know when I was admitted (weeks before the offer itself arrived), has been communicative throughout the process, and is supposed to be a great professor in general. She's doing work in a field I'm very interested in.

- Average reputation (within Canada only) - the program is relatively well-known, but the school itself is best known for its medical school and sciences, not social sciences

- Relatively large cohort of graduate students

Program 2:

- Interdisciplinary program (globalization studies)

- More funding overall, most of which is tied to a TA position

- The program invites students to design their own program of study: they offer courses, but also let students take any course offered at the university (with permission from the other department)

- I would have to find my own supervisor, but I would be able to work with any willing professor currently working at the university 

- Better than average reputation - the program is relatively new (10 years old), but it's one of the first of its kind, and there's regularly a series of visiting scholars who are excited to come and study/teach at the school 

- Small cohort of MA students only (there is no PhD program)

Since both programs are at the same school, then none of the city-specific issues that often arise when making these decisions affect me. Right now, the only issues I'm struggling with are the nature of the program that I want to take, and the funding offered. Do any of you have any insight into interdisciplinary programs and PhD application prospects? I asked the program director about that and they said they have a lot of success placing graduates into well-regarded PhD programs (but he didn't offer any specifics). 

I would feel really bad if I turned down either offer - the advisor I would be working with for Program 1 has been amazing, and the director of Program 2 took a lot of time to try to convince me that his program was right for me. 

Anyway - I would love any insight all of you could provide! I will be cross-posting this in the "Interdisciplinary programs" section (FYI to all mods!)

I'm over and out after this- since I've been following for 2 years with my friend- time to get on with my own life.  However, I want to share his experience in regards to this because I for one think the Anthropology Masters is important- but that's only based on what I've read here and his experiences.

Directly out of Undergraduate- 1-3 (the 1, was a master's)- published, top of his class, several 4 Masters anthro courses as undergrad, research, grants, fluent in all languages he needed to be, loads of conferences & presentations - not a very "hip" topic

Completing Masters 7-3 - added a few things- research assistant, international publication, anthropology recommendations, much more interesting and relevant topic, fluent in language & has traveled to the countries he'd be doing his field work. ( I should say that all of the programs he got into were fully funded with stipends of varying degree)

He said not getting in the first year turned out to be the best thing for him even though it was really tough last year. I've seen that several times over the years on this board- it was true for him. But it didn't make the process either time any easier - of course it ended well for him but it really is a very stressful experience and I really feel for all of you!!

He did mention in his case that there were several schools who required either an undergraduate anthropology major, or anthropology masters.

Best of Luck to you all.