Berkeley admitted thread 2014

It might be a bit early to start this one... but looking at results search today, I noticed someone has already posted a rejection from the Goldman School for a combined MPP/MSW. 

Has anyone received happier news from Berkeley? 

Does anybody know when decisions were released last year? I've only been able to find references to decisions that came out 2012 and 2011, which, if I remember correctly, were March 6 and March 3 respectively. I went to Berkeley as an undergrad and only applied to Goldman (I'm pretty gung-ho about staying in the Bay, I'd rather re-apply every year than go elsewhere), so I'm frazzled to say the least. Not going to feel good to have what I felt to be a second home reject me.

Nope. Frustrating because it could literally drop any day now based on prior years.

Agreed! Based on data from the prior years, I started bracing myself for results starting yesterday...

I've only been able to find references to decisions that came out 2012 and 2011, which, if I remember correctly, were March 6 and March 3 respectively. 

I saw something similar in the threads and results, if you look at its placement in the calendar these dates coincide with the first full week of march (i.e. first full week without a feb. date). 

This feels like my biggest reach school...definitely anxious and nervous to hear back! good luck!

Haha, my heart rate just went up immediately when I saw this thread, only to find that everyone's still waiting in the same boat. It's my top choice too.

Well, I suggest we stop hyping each other out, and go do some breathing exercises until we get emails. =)

Hi everyone, and congratulations to everyone who got in. Out of curiosity, how are you guys planning on paying for this? It's an awfully big price tag for no-funding (I'm in the same boat), and having recently lived in the Bay Area, I know the cost of living is no joke. Are people planning on taking out massive loans?

Hi everyone, and congratulations to everyone who got in. Out of curiosity, how are you guys planning on paying for this? It's an awfully big price tag for no-funding (I'm in the same boat), and having recently lived in the Bay Area, I know the cost of living is no joke. Are people planning on taking out massive loans?

Hello Estrauss, I also got did not get funding for fellowships, etc.

Berkeley is actually one of the least costly schools I applied to in terms of tuition, and the majority of my other schools are in NYC/DC which are also costly areas. While its tuition is one of the lowest, the program is also extremely strong in my area of interest. Berkeley also seems to offer great options for second year students. From what I understand many students are able to obtain CA residency after their first year and pay in-state tuition, which is even lower, plus they offer TA posts and assistanceships which also help offset costs. These factors make the school veerry attractive to me.  

Some measures I've taken to prepare for the $$$ aspects...As a current Americorps volunteer, I receive a $5,500 award, which combined with my savings are ~$11k, which isn't a bad start. I've submitted my FAFSA so I will most likely do the rest with loans, and hopefully apply to external scholarships as well. Personally I think the loans are worth it but I am invested in it! good luck to all

Waitlisted. Devastated. Far and away my top choice and would accept in a heartbeat, regardless of funding.

I went to Cal as an undergrad and have now been in the Bay for 8 years. Not at all ready to leave.

Congrats to those who got in, Berkeley is such a special place.

Edited by albuhhh

Admitted, with a fellowship to cover enrollment plus stipend! I'll be honest ... I wasn't actually expecting to get in, so this news was quite the shock.

(By the way, this is my first post but I've been reading around the forum for a while. Thanks to everyone for all the great discussion; this place is awesome! Best of luck to the rest of you guys, and perhaps we'll meet in class someday.)

Congrats to you all!I got a rej which is so devastating since my boyfriend is in Stanford and Berkeley is my top choice and also the only school I applied in west coast....He has already waited one year for me to get some work experience. I thought I had a chance since I graduated from the best university in China and got my full-time work experience at an international organization. Not many Chinese applicants have work experience.

I know my application is far from perfect, but still so sad. I hate to be apart from him anymore. There's going to be tons of tears tonight...

Waitlisted! As a California native, it's hard not to take this a bit personally. :) That said, it kind of makes me believe in the karma of 'fit'.

My sincere congratulations to all those that got in! 

Edited by thevillagersid

I was rejected. Oh well, I actually got the sense when writing my SOP that it Goldman probably isn't the best fit for me, and that probably shone through a bit. Still stinks not to have the option though!

Edited by s1lent

I didn't get in either, which was sad. This was really my top choice, but I feel like I gave it my best shot, so it's not all that painful.

Congrats to everyone who did get in, and I echo the sentiments stated earlier about how cheap Berkeley can turn out to be. I did a lot of research, and it looks like research assistantships as well as graduate instructor positions (as TAs) offers 25% to 50% tuition remission, so that will be a great deal. Best of luck, all!

Congrats to those admitted. unfortunately i dont know yet whether im admited or not as the admission / rejection email is sent directly to my sponsor.

Are the results posted on the main application page? Mine has not been updated yet, i keep on refreshing, but im not sure it will lead anywhere/

Can anyone check this for me please? im eager to know the result. Thanks!

Congrats to those admitted. unfortunately i dont know yet whether im admited or not as the admission / rejection email is sent directly to my sponsor.

Are the results posted on the main application page? Mine has not been updated yet, i keep on refreshing, but im not sure it will lead anywhere/

Can anyone check this for me please? im eager to know the result. Thanks!

The main application page has not been updated yet. I have been admitted but my page still says "submitted". Maybe you could check with your sponsor. 

Good luck! 

The main application page has not been updated yet. I have been admitted but my page still says "submitted". Maybe you could check with your sponsor. 

Good luck! 

Thank you joaoxxiii! i will wait a day or two, hoping that the results will be uploaded to the application page.

Hey, I've also been following the Government Affairs threads for years, since I took the GRE in early 2011. I had planned to engage in conversations comparing program merits to support myself and others making informed decisions, but my admit with funding to GSPP changed all that. So, I'm looking forward to discussing things like prime places to live in the Berkeley area, the logistics of GSI positions and whether we should prep for the GSPP math camp in August.

Anyone have thoughts on these?

Edited by CityofSand