2014-2015 Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship

wildchartermage

Hi everybody!

I had just applied to the newly established Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship! I was wondering if there is anyone else who had applied as well? If so, how was the process for you guys?

I had managed to pull everything together in two weeks...so tiring and time consuming! I had proposed to tell stories in United Kingdom and Japan. 

Fulbright had said there were 864 applicants for 5 spots....oh damn....definitely a long shot! 

Best of luck! 

I applied as well. It was a grueling process. Agreed. I applied in the Climate Change category in three counties, three different continents. And I'm really curious to hear about the diversity of applicants.

This is a great fellowship and I see it's attracted a large following. I suspect that people from all walks of life applied. For example, I'm a PhD student. What about you WildCharterMage?

Good luck everyone. Although it's tough to be hopeful with those stats: 5 out of 864!

Even though I'm a humanities and an Earth science major, my proposal has nothing to do with climate change, food, biodiversity, or any of other themes except for...Cultures and Cities. My interests lean toward anthropology and sociology rather than Earth science, even though I'm majoring in both. 

I had proposed to tell stories of the daily lives of people part of the British and Japanese Deaf cultures in major cities, showcase the beauty of both British and Japanese sign languages, and how those Deaf people struggle and triumph in their everyday lives since there is very little awareness in international mainstream media outlets on non-American Deaf communities, especially many people around the world don't understand or often stigmatize people with disabilities, so this is where I want to fill in the gap. :)

I'm an undergraduate senior...hoping to defer the job search process for another year because looking for jobs is too hard and cumbersome, compared to applying to fellowships. Haha. 

So, PhDsoon.....are you a PhD candidate for Earth science? Climate change, right? I've studied/researched some climate change myself in the past...but decided this isn't where I want to pursue in the future for my career. :P

The application was without a doubt the hardest one I have ever done. Like applying to be king. I worked on it for about six weeks. Those two names together, Fulbright and NatGeo, are about as prestigious as it gets in US. I had estimated about 1000 applicants, but I had no idea how many fellowships would be granted. Did it say on the F-NG website? And then the hunt for affiliates! And choosing countries in which English was a national language so I wouldn't be disadvantaged for not speaking a language fluently. I am probably already disadvantaged for having travelled too many times beyond my maple tree. So you two on this chat can lower the number to 863. And then scanning my documents - had to go into town for that, a couple times. At first I couldn't get all the links on my digital publication list to work. But a guy at the shop helped me out. And the mail from Fulbright warning: Do not wait til the last day to upload your application! I could just see the website crashing after that crateful of work. But I got it submitted with a healthy 10 hours to spare. Hmm, now that the application process is over, what shall I do?

The application was without a doubt the hardest one I have ever done. Like applying to be king. I worked on it for about six weeks. Those two names together, Fulbright and NatGeo, are about as prestigious as it gets in US. I had estimated about 1000 applicants, but I had no idea how many fellowships would be granted. Did it say on the F-NG website? And then the hunt for affiliates! And choosing countries in which English was a national language so I wouldn't be disadvantaged for not speaking a language fluently. I am probably already disadvantaged for having travelled too many times beyond my maple tree. So you two on this chat can lower the number to 863. And then scanning my documents - had to go into town for that, a couple times. At first I couldn't get all the links on my digital publication list to work. But a guy at the shop helped me out. And the mail from Fulbright warning: Do not wait til the last day to upload your application! I could just see the website crashing after that crateful of work. But I got it submitted with a healthy 10 hours to spare. Hmm, now that the application process is over, what shall I do?

Yeah, it was indeed difficult to put it together! What themes and countries you had applied for? The website said 5 fellowships will be given out. 

And um...the list of my digital publication (very short...only about 5...Lol, like I have the time to publish tons of stuff while studying in college...I had plenty of papers to write for my classes!)...the hyperlinks didn't work in the pdf document.....I had realized that after I submitted the application.....I don't know if that mistake would cost me or not. D'oh! I feel so stupid! >.<

Now that the process is over....I guess time for me to keep looking for backups, such as other jobs or fellowships...but looking for full-time jobs is soooo difficult! >.< 

Do you remember where it said that 5 fellowships would be awarded?

The email I got from Fulbright said this:

"Fulbright National Geographic Fellowships:

First round status notification will be issued by late-April 2014 and final decisions by the end of May 2014.  Emails will be sent to the email address that you used when your set up your Embark Application account.
We received 864 applications for four to five Fulbright NatGeo awards. We can no longer accept additional application material submissions nor additional letters of reference/Foreign Language Evaluations."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't heard anything yet, but I hope people post here when they do! It'll be awfully short notice if they don't give it out soon...

Me either! But they should release notification if we got through first round or not at any point soon! Meanwhile...I've been looking for back-up plans for my "gap year"...ughhhhh. 

Here's the latest from anonymous source:

Of over 850 applicants, about 400 were disqualified for sending incomplete applications or being ineligible. 

One week ago, professors from across the country went to DC to whittle down about 50 chosen applications from each category (i.e. Water, Cities, etc) down to 8. There are two more rounds of review. 

That's all I know. I hope that little bit of information satisfied the anxiety we all feel.  We should hear about first round selection tomorrow. I wish much luck and peace of mind to all applicants.

I just got an email from them....I didn't get through the first round. :( :(

I should have applied to the study/research or English Teaching as I would have higher chances of getting a Fulbright instead of trying to compete against 1000 other people for 5 spots. :(