GRE Fee Reduction Certificate

Lune

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding the GRE Fee Reduction Certificate that maybe some of you could clarify. I searched the forums before making this post and asked ETS directly via email but they were not helpful since they basically copied and pasted what they had posted on their website...

Anyways, I am applying for a graduate program this Fall 2014 but before I do so I would, obviously, like to take the GRE. I would also like to request the GRE Fee Reduction Certificate because it would help me cover the cost. ETS' website states that in order to qualify for the waiver one must complete FAFSA. (This does not make sense to me: Why would I apply for a program first and then take the GRE?) In my case, I have not completed the FAFSA because I have not yet applied to the program. That being said, I would like to take the GRE before I apply so is there any way around this? What about using past financial aid from my undergrad years as proof of financial need?

I contacted the grauduate program but they directed me to my undergrad institution, and when I contacted them they said I needed to complete my FAFSA hence my question...

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You can complete the fasfa before being accepted to a program. It is pretty quick and easy to complete so I would just do that so that GRE can use that info. You probably will not be able to use an old one since your financial situation may have changed.