Does anyone know when NYU will make decision? (MSW 2014)

SammyJ

Hey, has anyone heard from NYU? They sent an email back in Jan about getting their apps and transcripts by Feb 10, we are now approaching a month away, and i still haven't heard much. Was accepted to Fordham, interviewed at Hunter (pending deans decision, is that a polite rejection?). Let me know if anyone has heard anything. Debating whether to throw in the gloves and take the Fordham acceptance...

Helllooooooooo..

I was browsing these forums as a "lurker" when I came across this topic and decided to register an account just to reply to it..and hopefully give you some hope.

I heard from them this (Friday) morning..via e-mail (I was accepted! Yay!).

I'm not sure when you submitted your application, but I submitted mine like maybe a day before their late-Jan. deadline. So, you may hear from them very soon! You may wanna hold out just a lil' while longer..

I hope that helps -- good luck! :)

Edited by beyond_dreamz

That's insanity. I submited my application in November. It was complete (with all LORs) before New Years. And now I'm peeved that they lied to me on the phone! But that's alright, as I said, I won't be going!

That's insanity. I submited my application in November. It was complete (with all LORs) before New Years. And now I'm peeved that they lied to me on the phone! But that's alright, as I said, I won't be going!

Wow yeah, that is very weird.I know this is a dumb question, but you've def. checked your Spam/Junk e-mail folder?? Asking because even when I went to look this morning where I'd submitted my application on their site, the status still only read "Submitted"..so you may not be able to tell from there. But just make sure you didn't miss an e-mail.

But if you know you didn't, then that definitely is crazy. In all fairness, the person you spoke with may not have "lied", per se... #1, they may not have known the exact specifics of when the notifications would go out, and #2..if they told you mid-to-late March, I mean..it is almost mid, lol.. Perhaps they said that as a "at the latest" kind of a thing. With that said, yours still may actually come soon..but I know that's a helluva long time to wait, so I can't really say I blame ya. Good luck with wherever you end up going :). And sorry that had to happen to you.

I haven't heard yet either, will let you know if I do. I applied for the 32 month program for working professionals close to their January deadline.

Anyone else apply to the 32 month program?

• 4 weeks later...

Contacted the Silver School this morning about what I thought was a glitch; apparently around 100 people didn't get their acceptance emails back in March, so they re-sent a lot of them late Friday night. 

• 3 weeks later...

i got my acceptance for NYU's two year msw program two days ago. hope this helps.

Hi Amanda, how long did it take for you to get your acceptance letter after everything was checked off in your space on Albert? Mine has been since early march ish or longer and I still haven't heard but make a call once a week.

Hi Amanda, how long did it take for you to get your acceptance letter after everything was checked off in your space on Albert? Mine has been since early march ish or longer and I still haven't heard but make a call once a week.

hey i found out about two weeks after everything was completed. but other people have heard at different times. im not sure why they do this but they accept a bunch of people and let them know at different times.

Yea I just found out on Friday after calling and then emailing them. If you haven't found out yet I'd call and ask for your application status. They told me that 2/3 of the application reviewers had read mine shortly before I found out so that was helpful.

Is anyone going to the event tomorrow for accepted students?

• 2 weeks later...

Natalie,

After speaking with and reading so many comments on here from current and former students (and a professor who has remained anonymous on grad cafe) it is clear to me that it really doesn't matter where you go to school in the end. Cost is the biggest factor for me, and while I am lucky and have saved over the years in order to afford higher education, I would rather not spend it all at a school that has a better title simply because of that. Sure, when I was a high school student I dreamt of going to NYU but didn't get in, but now as an adult, I can surely visit that area of the city on my own and get the same education at Hunter. Furthermore, we spend more than half our time in internships where we will likely be amongst other students from the surrounding universities. This means I'd be paying less money per credit hour for the same internship a student from NYU, Columbia or Fordham, have. Many professors overlap at all the schools or have taught at different schools at different times. According to several former students, the curriculum is the same everywhere. I will say that class size is important to me, and I feel this may be a disadvantage of attending Hunter. Additionally, I can already tell there's a lot of red tape at Hunter in getting simple things accomplished in terms of the enrollment process alone, but this is he type of experience, while frustrating, that I will be facing as a social worker. Better get used to it now!

Let me say, this is strictly my opinion and I hope to not offend anyone. I'm excited and I hope everyone here has a positive experience.

For the record, I was 1000000 percent positive I would not be getting into Hunter, and kept telling my friends and family if I got in I'd be an idiot to turn the offer down.