IHEID GRADUATE INSTITUTE GENEVA, Admitted Thread, Fall 2014

Has anyone else heard from IHEID yet?

I checked the application follow-up today, and I got the following message! (I'm a MDev applicant)

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva).

Please provide your decision below before 15 April 2014.

If you have already indicated your decision, please simply click on 'Next page'.

But also I got this message:

Condition: - Other condition set by the Admissions Committee

I'm wondering if this is conditional offer in the traditional sense (pre-term summer session, econ classes, etc.)

Or does it mean taking the prereq French language courses before enrollment?

Hopefully this actually means I'm admitted, and congrats to all others!

Edited by dpgu800

Ah congratulations! I'm still 'under consideration.' It might be that they want you to send formal transcripts, since the online application only required scanned ones.

@CarefreeWritingsontheWall

I got an email couple days ago saying the decisions will be emailed by the 15th.

The email also said the applicants don't need to check the follow-up website for the decision, but I guess they used that website anyway to send out decisions. 

I hope you get good news soon! 

I checked the application follow-up today, and I got the following message! (I'm a MDev applicant)

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva).

If you have already indicated your decision, please simply click on 'Next page'.

I'm wondering if this is conditional offer in the traditional sense (pre-term summer session, econ classes, etc.)

Congratulations dpgu800! I've applied to the MDEV programme as well, but have yet to hear any news.

In case you're interested, there's another thread on gradcafe with many who have applied to IHEID. Most of us are still waiting on results, but do feel free to join us. :)

Congratulations Dpgu :)

I am a fellow MDev applicant too but haven't heard back from them yet. Anyway, did you apply in the first round or second? Plus did you manage to get the scholarship?

Congratulations dpgu800! I've applied to the MDEV programme as well, but have yet to hear any news.

In case you're interested, there's another thread on gradcafe with many who have applied to IHEID. Most of us are still waiting on results, but do feel free to join us. :)

Thanks!

And wow, there's a lot of ppl over at that thread. I'll def join u guys for future discussion.

Gradcafe def needs a seperate IR forum...

Congratulations Dpgu :)

I am a fellow MDev applicant too but haven't heard back from them yet. Anyway, did you apply in the first round or second? Plus did you manage to get the scholarship?

Thanks!

And I'm not sure which round my application was in. I just applied before 01/15.

And no scholarship info yet

Also, this morning I got this email:

"We are pleased to inform you that the Admission Committee of the Graduate Institute, Geneva has decided to offer you admission to one of our programmes in light of your excellent academic credentials. In order to learn more about this decision, we invite you to return to the online admission module (https://campus.iheid.ch/ISAP/!formInscrs.connection?ww_c_formulaire=ADM_2014_2015&ww_c_langue=en) through which you submitted your application.

If you wish to learn more about confirming our admission offer and the different enrolment steps, our admission officers will be available weekly to answer your questions on the admission and enrolment procedure, during our online information sessions for admitted students (http://graduateinstitute.ch/home/admissions/meet-us/online-information-sessions.html).

The Institute's student association has created a "Meet our Current Students" initiative, which will enable you to get in touch with current students via Facebook or Email to ask them any question you may have on student life in Geneva. http://mygisa.ch/meet-students/"

Edited by dpgu800

Hey guys! I just got the e-mail saying that I'm offered admission to the Master of Development Studies. The low tuition and the scenary of Geneva are just so irresistable.

Hey guys! I just got the e-mail saying that I'm offered admission to the Master of Development Studies. The low tuition and the scenary of Geneva are just so irresistable.

Indeed!

Low tuition, great city living, loads of positive feedback from current and past students, and proximity to a variety of IR-related job opportunities (and, for me, also the opportunity to further my French skills) make IHEID very very attractive.

Accepted for MIA! Woohoo!

But no scholarship :( The wording is "Scholarship refused". Somehow that feels harsher than denied. I sorta imagine a Frenchman shaking his head saying "On refuse !"

But no scholarship :( The wording is "Scholarship refused". Somehow that feels harsher than denied. I sorta imagine a Frenchman shaking his head saying "On refuse !"

You'll get used to strange wording if you do attend IHEID. Most admin staff (or stuff, you know...) are French-speaking originally, and don't always find the right words in English. Not to worry B)! Also, note that 2nd year scholarships are completely independent of first year scholarships, so a number of students who performed really well in their first year got scholarships for 2nd year. The only stipulation is that you have demonstrated need!

haha "refuse" did seem a bit harsh to me as well

Congrats!!!!!!!!

@adrianmane

Congrats to you as well!!

And I noticed that you applied to Stanford Ford Dorsey IPS!!

Did you hear back from them yet??

Hi guys,

I'm just jumping in but been following this thread for a while. I've applied for a PhD in Anthropology and Sociology of Development.

Just joining in solidarity over the long night that tonight will be for those of us who haven't heard.

Me too, I haven't heard anything yet. Program that I applied for is MIA. I'm going out of my mind because even though an email says don't check the application portal and that we will be sent an e-mail... I still check. Everyday. For the past 2 weeks... Just curious: does anyone know of anyone who was admitted and was given a scholarship offer? 

ACCEPTED MDev  :) 

Unfortunately no scholarship.

Guess I am the first one to know from the deferred applicants. Though I haven't received an official email yet! 

As for everyone else waiting I hope you guys get through with full scholarship! 

Loads of wishes  :) 

Congrats!!!!!!!!

@adrianmane

Congrats to you as well!!

And I noticed that you applied to Stanford Ford Dorsey IPS!!

Did you hear back from them yet??

Thanks, likewise!

I haven't heard back from Stanford yet, though. Their deadline was the least descriptive: "Decision letters are sent to applicants in early-mid March..." I don't know how much closer we can be to "early-mid March!"

Thanks, likewise!

I haven't heard back from Stanford yet, though. Their deadline was the least descriptive: "Decision letters are sent to applicants in early-mid March..." I don't know how much closer we can be to "early-mid March!"

Hmmmmmm.... I see.....

I'm sure I'll get rejected, tho I really need to find out so I can set my heart on one program, or at least shortlist the most promising programs....

So long.... but it's better than NYU, the application deadline was in Nov last yr, and they told us "by March 15" and they're def taking their sweet time and pushing themselves all the way to the deadline...I'm inclined to say piss off even if I get in....

Edited by dpgu800

I got an e mail saying 'We are pleased to inform you that the Admission Committee of the Graduate Institute, Geneva has decided to offer you admission to one of our programmes in light of your excellent academic credentials.'

However the online follow up shows status of admission as well as scholarship as 'refused'

I called to check and they said that the online decision is the binding one.

#FML

I got an e mail saying 'We are pleased to inform you that the Admission Committee of the Graduate Institute, Geneva has decided to offer you admission to one of our programmes in light of your excellent academic credentials.'

However the online follow up shows status of admission as well as scholarship as 'refused'

I called to check and they said that the online decision is the binding one.

#FML

Am in the same sitiuation. Doesn't the online followup page say that only the email is binding?

I had the same issue! Emailed and told I was accepted. Two hours later, I receievd a second email saying I was rejected. Website says rejused. I feel like someone dangled a carrot in my face and then yelled psyche! D:

Edited by CarefreeWritingsontheWall

Wow I'm stunned, I'm sorry for you guys who had to pass through this painful mess.

Anyway - I hope not to be brutal - I was wondering if there's anyone who's already accepted his/her offer.

(IHEID was my first choice so I waited for like an hour and then couldn't resist and said YYYES).

I'm looking forward to hearing from MDev fellows  ^_^

Just received a follow-up email saying the previous one was sent erroneously. Rejected! :(

That's so bad! You know what, I'm still waiting for the result, although they promise to send it out by last Friday!!! Getting desperate about it, for I think ppl they want must have already been noticed. At least send me a refusal letter, right?