UC Berkeley MIMS or Carnegie Mellon (CMU) MISM

carlooos

I got accepted into both the UC Berkeley MIMS program and the MISM one-year accelerated program at Carnegie Mellon University. CMU has offered me a scholarship (roughly 70% tuition), while I'm still awaiting financial aid results from Cal.

The question is, where do I go? I'm looking to start a tech career in Silicon Valley, in the areas of product or program management, so I guess the proximity is good for UC Berkeley. However, the time factor for CMU means that I can start working as early as May 2015, plus I have the scholarship there as well.

Both courses are highly multi-disciplinary in that they sit in between the fields of computing/technology, business/management and information studies, and it doesn't help that CMU and Berkeley are both well-regarded in these areas! It's great to have options though. Would appreciate thoughts from anyone out there :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Decaf,

Can you please share your profile to enlighten future aspirants( including me :)) . I am planning very seriously for the both the courses as they are in-line with my past experience and future goals. 

Thanks,

Letusdoit.

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone,

Its my first time posting here. I'm considering applying to MIMS at the iSchool but not sure if I match the criteria or not. I have three years of work experience working on the data end of international development and hence I'm looking for a masters program that equips me technically to pursue development solutions. My undergrad was from Mount Holyoke with a major in Politics and a few courses in Comp Sci and Communication. C.GPA was 3.74 and GRE 162 verbal 160 quant and 5.5 analytical. I'm afraid of the program being too techy but then I'm thinking that since I have the option to take electives I could bridge in courses on development and policy as well maybe. My other prospective programs are:

CMU - MSPPM Data Analytics Track

UChicago Harris - MSCAPP

MIT - MUP IDG

Fletcher - MALD

SAIS - MAIA

It would be great if people could share their experience with MIMS and also whats the likelihood of me getting what I'm looking for from these programs.

Thanks!

Edited by Zuha