Phoning Departments for Results?

Pennywise

Hi, is there a downside to phoning departments to get results? I'm almost entirely positive I got rejected by two programs (because others have posted acceptances and wait lists on here), but for my peace of mind I would really like to get some official word. I am slightly worried it could be seen as a negative if I am by some fluke in a "just below the wait list" category or something.

Also, any advice on the best way to inquire? Yes, I realize I am an adult and should be able to figure this out on my own, but this whole process is making me second guess every single one of my decisions and ideas...

Thanks in advance!

You can do it, there's nothing wrong with it. You can also ask when you will get the result... it's a sneaky way of trying to get them to offer to tell you right there and then. ;)

I think it's a great way to get anxiety out of the way. I waited until I saw some results posted on Grad Cafe from my schools so I knew the chances of getting an answer is higher. It doesn't always work, but I got one acceptance and one rejection from calling and asking.