How to Start a SOP

Because at the end of the day, what do you think is a more appealing introduction to a professor?

A random anecdote hook, or clearly defined and interesting research questions? I would say the latter.

Well that makes me feel like i made the wrong decision :X :( oh well haha

Well I applied for MS Aero but the funny thing is I got into engineering only because I couldn't make it into flight school because of my extremely high myopia and other medical complications. So I used the hook and started like this: "While I was growing up I firmly believed that my future lied at thirty-five thousand feet....". I think it's good to use the hook but then immediately cleverly transition to where you are now. Using a whole paragraph to describe your childhood passions is a big no-no.

Well that makes me feel like i made the wrong decision :X :( oh well haha

There really is no 'right way' of writing an SOP. In fact, that's what kind of makes the whole process fickle and frustrating.

Edited by HopefulComparativist

• 3 weeks later...

I began with a mind map.  Put the program/school in the center than branched out from there.  I covered everything I could think of.  When that was done I had something solid to work from to create an outline. From the outline I wrote the paper.  Even though I began with a first word to a first paragraph, it wasn't my opining paragraph.  I answered the questions asked in the essay prompts, filled in the necessary details, and then wrote the first paragraph last as it was really a summery of what was to come in the rest of the essay that followed.  

I really didn't use a hook.  

I don't know why I haven't used a mind map as a starting place before. I'm facing reapplying next season and I think this will help me reformulate my SOP into something a bit clearer and more coherent. Thanks for the idea!