Field Placement Options & Interviews

RBWilliams

Only found a few topics on this...Was accepted to my MSW program and they require us to do field placements the first year.  My areas are Volunteers of America, Restorative Justice and a private practice mental health therapist, who does work at several elementary schools.  My school focuses on a Generalist view the first year.  My question is what field placement options is everyone else considering and what factors go into field placement you want to choose.  I have interviews schedule for all but Volunteers of America and waiting to schedule that.  Just interested in what everyone else is doing.  I'm really interested in Volunteers of America, but will see how the interviews go....Thanks!

Get an idea of what kind of projects you might be working on, a sense of how your field instructor's supervisory style, and how these fit in with your overall learning and professional needs and goals. 

You might be in a unique position--a lot of programs assign first-year field placements based on a conversation their field consultant/coordinator has with them. Most folks don't have their pick of the litter till their second year.

Well, my Field Director did recommend one to me, but as an option of three choices.  Have to interview with all of them.  However, I'm not sure if the final decision will be mine of the three or the Director.  Will meet with her to discuss once finished with interviews.  So, will see and let everyone know how it goes.  So.....no one else has any thoughts or feelings on their Practicums........

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I had my two Field Placement interviews with two agencies.  They went great and I was really excited about what both places were doing and what they offered as a placement opportunity.  I did talk to my Field Placement Director and I do get to pick, which one I want.  Mind you that is if the agency wants me.  I got good feedback from both.  One was doing another interview that same day, but the second one was not.  She loved me and was not gonna do any more interviews.  She has to run it by her administration.....so, gonna wait till hear back from them both.  

I did google for Field Placement Interview questions and got lots.  Both potential questions the agencies may ask and some I could ask.  I did use the majority, which really help me remember to ask key questions...for example type work student would perform, work hour requirements, field supervisor, work space, safety protocols, etc...I am really excited about both places.  One MAJOR lesson learned.......don't get so caught up in where YOU THINK you may want to go and keep an open mind for all places you choose.  I really was set on one thing and ended up loving what I learned in the interview and another place.  

It was really just like a job interview.  I dressed in dress and heels. I had a binder with each agencies information, my questions, paper, pens and essentials only in it.  I got to each place 15 mins early.  I will do my thank you notes to each and mail tomorrow.  They did ask what I would bring to the organization, which was on my list of questions I googled.  So, I was prepared to answer that and other questions.  I will come back and let you know which I picked once it is official.  Really getting excited now.  Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for sharing this with us, RB Williams! Yes, please do tell us which one you end up choosing. 

Also, did you wait for the field instructor to contact you? I was told that I will be contacted by a field instructor last week but still haven't heard from them. I plan on giving them a week before I contact the school again. 

My interview for the MSW program was done by the Field Placement Director.  During the interview, she told me if I got accepted to the MSW program she would be the first to notify all MSW students to get started on the Field Placement Process.  When I got the email, she included the Field Placement Application, Field Placement Roster of Agencies and Field Placement Options form.  I field out application and reviewed the Field Placement Roster of Agencies for about 2 wks.  We could not contact any of the agencies.  I looked them up on google, facebook and asked friends about some agencies.  I wanted to see where they were located, history of agencies, type of services they provided and any info on practicum work they listed.  My Field Placement Director did recommend one of my options, during my interview, just based on my education and work history.  I selected the other two just based on the client base I wanted to work with and how I wanted to specialize my MSW degree. 

Look at your schools website and see if they list the process or guidelines for contacting the Field instructor.  You could even contact the person who told you when the field instructor would contact you and ask if you can contact them directly.

Glad you asked a question....lol, I didn't know if folks were interested in hearing about the process or not.......I will come back to let everyone know my choice...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, it is official.  I will be doing my field practicum with a therapist, who does School Based Therapy at five elementary schools.  I'm so excited.  I did get offered placement from all three agencies.  I did get to make the choice for placement from the three choices.  The therapist notified my Field Placement Director and emailed me to make the offer.  I notified my Field Placement Director of offer and asked her, if I could accept.  She said yes.  Just so you know.  My Field Placement Director and I discussed this particular agency and she felt it would suit me, my background and future goals.  

All of my interviews went very well.  I honestly could have worked at any of them and been very happy.  When I initially was choosing my three agencies, the one I chose was not on my original list.  One fell of for some reason and it was sent by my Field Placement Director.  I didn't think I was interested, but I didn't really know what that agency did at school.  School Based Therapists are totally different than the School Counselors (my confusion).  When I interviewed with her, things just clicked that this was where I wanted to do my practicum.  I really had to be open to all of them and be interested in learning about them, because I wasn't sure who would decide where I would go.  I will be doing a variety of things such as, therapy groups, managing a small caseload and working with five elementary schools with the Therapist.  I'm super excited about this.

I did send Thank You Letter to all the agencies after my interviews.  I also notified the other two agencies of my decision.  I thanked them again for the interview and opportunity to do my practicum with their agency.  Then I told them I looked forward to possibly working with their agency in the future.  You just never know when you may be working in the community with them in the future, as a student, employer or service provider.  I wanted to be courteous in letting them know I appreciated their time and offer.  

So, I hope this helps someone.  I wasn't sure what else to tell ya'll about.  Please feel free to ask and I will answer it, if I can.  Wishing everyone the best on the Field Placement search/assignment.