What to do with a Psychology degree?

soflostudent

Hello!

I decided to join this website and ask away because lately I have been having doubts about my future career and have no idea who to turn to for information, guidance, or even just a bit of advice.

I am currently a junior at a 4-year university majoring in Psychology. The plan was to pursue Behavior analysis in grad school as well as to become board certified. However, after doing a practicum in Behavior analysis, looking at grad school programs, looking at the requirements for certification, and considering the future of the field I feel a little discouraged. 

Seeing as I still have a full year left of undergrad I have decided to start looking into other areas. I do love Psychology and do not wish to change my major however. 

I came across the Dietetics and Nutrition program at my current university and I am wondering if by having a BA in Psychology with perhaps a minor in Dietetics, Biology, Chemistry, etc I would have any chance of entering a Dietetics grad school program. Right now, I just want to know if this is a possibility at all. 

I would greatly appreciate any information I might find helpful as well as some advice. Thanks!

I am not sure how dietetics and psychology woud intersect as far as looking for a grad program that incorporates both.  It's an interesting idea but I think you would have to look into dietetic programs.  (The American Society for Nutrition has a list of accredited dietetic programs and you would have to contact those programs to ask them how useful undergraduate study in psychology would be for dietetics - or what the prerequisites are for their programs.  Here is link to that website:  https://www.nutrition.org/education-and-professional-development/graduate-program-directory/)

I think this particular forum mainly consists of people who are pursuing graduate degrees in psychology, so I am not sure how much direction you can get here for dietetics.  However, there are other forums on this site that may be more related - maybe look under Professional Programs or Life Sciences.

Edited by Bren2014

Hi Soflostudent,

Let me start by first saying, I was in a similar position (with different interests) last year. I was in my senior year, and although I had prepared significantly and always knew I wanted to go to grad school, I was disillusioned. I sat down to write personal statements for schools, and just felt as though I couldn't accurately discern what it was that I wanted to do. SO--I took time off, got a research position (one that would set me up nicely for graduate school), and soul-searched. I saw a career counselor at my school, took personality tests, read books about careers, researched my options. Just to give you an idea I was thinking about English, Public Health, and Education...it was a rocky time of discernment. I also talked to SEVERAL people in various fields that I was interested in, oh and the kicker, I stopped reading the negativity on message boards.  Being out of school, with less responsibilities also helped.

So my advice, like Mr. Bugles', is to go back to the root of your interest in psychology. What got you amped up about it in the first place? Also, definitely research different fields, talk to professionals and professors in other departments. I made a list of what I wanted in a potential career as far as day to day responsibilities. Another thing--don't think of picking a career as a life-long sentence. So many people have a career that evolves over their lifetime. Maybe you want to first try dietetics and then go into some kind of health psychology--something like that. It definitely helped me when one of my research mentors told me that she finally figured out what she wanted to do 15 years AFTER her doctorate.

So take the pressure off yourself and explore a little bit! :) I would recommend contacting someone in the dietetics dept at your school and just asking these questions!!

I took time off, got a research position (one that would set me up nicely for graduate school), and soul-searched. 

I did this and it has paid off tremendously.  Not only did it set me up perfectly for grad school, but it also allowed me to test the waters and determine if I wanted to dedicate myself to researching X and/or Y.  You have gotten lots of other good advice so far too!

I did this and it has paid off tremendously.  Not only did it set me up perfectly for grad school, but it also allowed me to test the waters and determine if I wanted to dedicate myself to researching X and/or Y.  You have gotten lots of other good advice so far too!

Yes. This. Also, I forgot to mention that I got into my top choice program, which is a great fit. I wouldn't had known that though if I didn't test the waters and determine what I actually wanted to do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How about being a dietician and working with patients with eating disorders?

I also third the suggestions above about taking some time off post-undergrad and working in research, or otherwise in a field you're interested in, and seeing how you like it.  If you decide to pursue further education, this will also look good on your application.

If I may chime in, I currently work for the Natl Center for PTSD and there's a researcher here who has a PhD in Psychology and specializes in eating disorders and how it relates to women's health, PTSD, etc.  You may want to also look at how anxiety disorders such as depression may interact with eating disorders.