Georgetown SSP

I saw that, the wait is unbearable! I'm being optimistic and hoping it will be next week like it has the past two years. A lot of schools this year seem to be late. 

Do you know when we can expect to hear from GW? 

Yeah, I noticed (I'm addicted to checking the result search) so hopefully this week we will hear from GW but I won't be surprised we heard from both next week.

I called both of the schools earlier this week and GW said "asap" and Georgetown said "late-March". The wait continues...

Not necessarily, Spring Break doesn't impact the Admission offices (people who work in administrative jobs at universities don't go on spring break), but it may be next week anyway.  For what it's worth, the MSFS program says "By April 1", which seems crazy late (by April 1 I plan to have a good sense of my options and already have booked my admitted students weekend trips). 

Update from the website: 

"The SSP is on track to release decisions by the end of March. Once decisions have been made the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will place a notification letter in the applicant's ApplyYourself record. Please note decisions will only be communicated via ApplyYourself.  Decisions cannot be released by email, fax, or phone.  The SSP is on track to release decisions by the end of March. Once decisions have been made the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will place a notification letter in the applicant's ApplyYourself record. Please note decisions will only be communicated via ApplyYourself.  Decisions cannot be released by email, fax, or phone."

So i guess logging into the Application website will be the only form of notification...

I just checked mine....no decision yet.

Yeah saw that too! I bet we get an email telling us that the decisions are up on the application but I will be checking the application portal as well.

I hope that "late-March" doesn't mean that we have to wait till next week! Traditionally GT has released at the end of this week, fingers crossed!! 

Speculation on GT/GWU this week? I don't know anything about when these schools historically release decisions. If GWU said ASAP, when is ASAP? For GT, April 1 (mentioned above) seems awfully late (as also mentioned above) for anyone vetting more than one option... Really hope they don't keep us waiting longer than they have to. 

Does either program have an admissions blog? Is either program a solid funder? 

Let Week 3 of (our) March Madness begin...

TeeCo10, I can answer some of your questions. 

Both GW has an admissions facebook page and GT has a twitter which have all been recently active as of last week. As for finding out when these schools have traditionally released their admission results, I simply used the "Results Search" on TheGradCafe to search a specific school and it will give you quite reliable results about last years release dates. 

I emailed GW last Friday and they said that their admission decision should be released this week and GT has in the past always released this week however I won't be surprised if it was early next week due to the weather, etc. 

As for funding, I'm not really sure on each specific school. 

I just gave in and called the SSP office and they aren't saying more than "end of March"...bummer. 

The MSFS notifications went out late last night so I'm assuming that the SSP notifications will follow quickly...either end of this week or early next would be my guess. I'm going to be stalking their Twitter and their application page.

Thoughts or any insider knowledge? 

From the SSP Admissions Twitter feed, earlier this afternoon:  

"Fall 2014 Applicants: Decisions will be released this week! Lots of applications, too many snow days ..."

From the SSP Admissions Twitter feed, earlier this afternoon:  

"Fall 2014 Applicants: Decisions will be released this week! Lots of applications, too many snow days ..."

Thanks for the info John385! It is such a relief to know that we don't have to wait another week. This whole waiting thing is just killing me...

Curious to hear anyone's thoughts or insight on this. From the start SSP was my top choice. However, this delay has surprised me and, to be honest, it's somewhat disappointing. With a primere school like Georgetown, I wouldn't expect a few snow days to delay the process this badly, especially since the application deadline was January.

As a result of the delay, I've spent a great deal of time researching other schools to which I was admitted and started to rethink SSP a bit. While SSP is still my top choice, I think other schools, especially policy schools like SIPA or Bush, offer skills and a degree that many officials (military and civilian) have (MPA, MPP or MIA degrees). Are any of you worried that with a pure security program like SSP that you will miss out on some of the MPA, MPP or MIA skills that other schools offer? What is the advantage of a security studies MA over a MPA/MIA/MPP?Thanks in advance for any insight or thoughts. Good luck with the wait!!!

@thirtyfutsmurf

Not sure where you are from or experiences with the DC area, but any inclement weather that leads to schools/the government being closed for the day = at least 2 days added on to ANYTHING that needs to get done. I've been following Georgetown's twitter all throughout the application process and I know their offices have been closed a handful of times. 1-2 inches of snow around here causes shutdowns. Granted, GWU had the same issues and got all of their decisions out ~2 weeks ago, so excuses shouldn't need to be made...but that has never stopped anyone from making them. I'm sure they also get the most applications in this area because of the weight the program carries. Who knows. 

I think you ask a good question in your second thought. That's on you, is all I can really say. Think about the options you want to give yourself later on in your life/career. My GUESS would be if you want to get into a job that is specifically security based when you're done/while you're in school, a MA in security studies may be the best direction. However, if you think that while you're studying you can look for jobs in the security field that match your education (MPA/MIA/MPP) then you could/should be fine. Depends on what you want to be studying, what you want to do, and how much effort you put into finding a position/career you'll enjoy. Hope that helps. 

I just received an email that my decision was posted online and I was waitlisted. It definitely would have been nice for my ego to have been accepted, but I had already sort of ruled it out in my mind due to the amount of debt I'd take on by going there. 

ACCEPTED! Top choice, could not be more excited! Congrats to those admitted, see you in the fall!

No word on funding...assuming none, especially since I'm straight from undergrad. 

Thrilled and humbled by acceptance! Anyone else comparing/contrasting SSP with broader IR programs? Curious to hear insight on pure security degree vs IR degree with security concentration....

That's what I am wondering too

Got a letter today from the program director (Bruce Hoffman) with details of a scholarship funding, going to accept the offer soon I think. 

Congratulations to everyone else accepted.

Would love to but can't make it. Have work obligations. Would appreciate anyone posting thoughts and comments here after attending. Anyone receive word of upcoming admitted student chats or any other pertinent information like registration or orientation (beyond just dates)?