biochem graduate admission

amethyst23

Hello, 

I’m a biochemistry and physiology double major at CU Boulder and I'm planning to apply to graduate school for biochemistry and maybe molecular biology starting next fall. I'm slightly concerned about how my grades will impact my ability to compete with other applicants because I received a C+ in physics I (calculus-based) sophomore year. In the later physics classes I took I earned an A (physics I and II algebra-based) and A- (intro to quantum mechanics/physics III calculus-based) so I feel like I've redeemed myself and demonstrated that I'm not incapable of learning physics but that C+ still worries me.

I’m planning to apply to fairly competitive programs in UCSD, UW-Seattle, Brandeis, Northwestern, and UCLA (in addition to backup schools). I’m aware that there are other components of the application which are more important but I’m worried that my application may be overlooked due to that grade.

Can anyone tell me whether my concerns are reasonable?     

I have pretty decent grades (mostly A- and a few B’s) in my chemistry and physiology classes and I’ve been working in a lab on campus for the past 3 years in addition to doing 2 summer internships. I also have two conference abstract publications. I have yet to take the general and subject GREs but I’m hoping to be able to score just above the 80th percentile, at least on the general GRE.

Hello, 

I’m a biochemistry and physiology double major at CU Boulder and I'm planning to apply to graduate school for biochemistry and maybe molecular biology starting next fall. I'm slightly concerned about how my grades will impact my ability to compete with other applicants because I received a C+ in physics I (calculus-based) sophomore year. In the later physics classes I took I earned an A (physics I and II algebra-based) and A- (intro to quantum mechanics/physics III calculus-based) so I feel like I've redeemed myself and demonstrated that I'm not incapable of learning physics but that C+ still worries me.

I’m planning to apply to fairly competitive programs in UCSD, UW-Seattle, Brandeis, Northwestern, and UCLA (in addition to backup schools). I’m aware that there are other components of the application which are more important but I’m worried that my application may be overlooked due to that grade.

I have pretty decent grades (mostly A- and a few B’s) in my chemistry and physiology classes and I’ve been working in a lab on campus for the past 3 years in addition to doing 2 summer internships. I also have two conference abstract publications. I have yet to take the general and subject GREs but I’m hoping to be able to score just above the 80th percentile, at least on the general GRE.

Since you're going for biochem, I would worry more about your biochem, biology and chemistry grades than physics or math. 

Hello, 

I got a C in E&M during my first year of college, and things have turned out just fine.  I had a 3.5 overall and applied to chem PhDs with a biophysics focus.  Is there a trend in your overall transcript?  That's typically more of a concern than a single bad grade.  I wouldn't even bring it up in the essay.  No need to draw attention to it.  It sounds like you're a strong applicant otherwise, so you shouldn't worry too much. 

One C+ in your sophomore year and you are worried? They probably won't even look at that. Be more concerned about building good relationships for good letters of rec and getting a lot of research experience. Grades almost don't matter once you are above a certain point.